The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

The ever brilliant Simon Wren-Lewis here with a piece which I think shows that there's a good possibility the UK will back down on LPF and fisheries

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/2020/12/if-uk-government-fails-to-do-deal-over.html

The mistake I think comes from the idea that to avoid this outcome, the UK would have to follow EU standards (using standards in a wide sense to include any government action that influences competition). But to say that is about UK sovereignty seems to me to be a perversion of the concept. National sovereignty is about a nation being able to make decisions itself. The EU is not stopping us making decisions, it is just saying there will be consequences. If you want to avoid those consequences, you need to avoid making those decisions.

30 minutes ago, darrenm said:

The ever brilliant Simon Wren-Lewis here with a piece which I think shows that there's a good possibility the UK will back down on LPF and fisheries

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/2020/12/if-uk-government-fails-to-do-deal-over.html

He's right about the LPF - that's not about national sovereignty, it's about rules for stuff sold in a particular market - the market itself sets its rules, whether that's one nation or one block. If the UK wants to set rules for stuff for the UK market, it can. We could lower or raise the bar, and sellers would have to adjust accordingly.

I think fishing is a bit different - individual (non-EU) nations all control their own waters, deciding themselves who and how much to allow into their waters. That is sovereignty, and any deal needs to essentially smooth the transition from "pooled" access agreed across the EU under the CFP to the UK deciding who can fish here. But that ought to be relatively easily done. Both sides won't get everything they want, but over time our sovereignty will be fully restored.

I guess the thing is that the throbbers and others want, with the LPF to be able to dramatically reduce our standards for food and agri and so on, to make us like a low regulation, market driven economy - directly competing with the EU by not having health and Safety, Enviro or workers protections. Johnson likes that idea, hence all the fuss.

• Like 1

On the deal (WA) v deal (future FTA) discussion, the excerpt in the Sky News clip commented on by Lewis Goodall is perhaps slightly clearer and, amazingly, a little bit closer to the truth than Johnson would have wanted to get (even allowing for the attempted conflations and the 'guarantees'):

That was the plan.

Either we get an impossible deal, or we leave with no deal.

That was clear last year. It was arguably clear long before that.

It's exactly what a bunch of scumbags wanted.

And millions of idiots gave it to them.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Right on cue

Spitting distance of gaslighting. No, be angry at the baddies, not that your representatives are trying to get around the procedures.

words removed, words removed to a man.

Cameron quit when he “failed” with his remain campaign.

Will Boris quit after failing to secure any deal, with anyone, after saying not only that he would but they’d be great and easy?

I just can’t see how that useless lump of lard is allowed to just plunder on like nothing happening when he has personally led the country up shit creak and sold the oars.

Edited by Genie

Â