The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

So do we think No Deal will be announced on Sunday?

That's where my money is (metaphorically speaking)

Johnson has run out of road and finally has to make a decision. 

Taking the EU offer will alienate his support in the Brexit wing of the Tory party. Rejecting the offer will unleash further chaos on the economy (the EU contingency above only allows 6 months of air and road connectivity between the UK and the EU!).  

He doesn't look to have a satisfactory way out at this point. 

The lesser of the evils appears to be bending over for the EU and trying to bullshit the British people that it’s a good deal. Of course he’ll get kicked around a lot but at least we live to see another year.

If it’s no deal then he absolutely has no way of selling it (Brexit) as a good situation.

1 minute ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

(good) deal 

For the EU yes. The only options are a good deal for them or no deal. There is now way for us to get a 'good' deal (one that made Brexit worthwhile anyway) now.

1 minute ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Anyone think there will be a (good) deal before Sunday ? 

I am thinking 25% chance but that's based on the UK taking anything at the last minute.

No.

The negotiation isn't really in good faith in the UK's side. We'll get No Deal and that's exactly what was wanted if an impossibility wasn't available.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Anyone think there will be a (good) deal before Sunday ? 

I am thinking 25% chance but that's based on the UK taking anything at the last minute.

A good deal? No. I don't think a good deal for the UK that is remotely acceptable for the EU exists.

There may be A deal. But I don't think we'll get it now. Like others have said I think No Deal has been coming for a long time now and I think Sunday is the day they finally admit it

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Our country's finest available

Eo1GFSeXUAAer39?format=jpg&name=large

In the clips on the news yesterday you could se Boris take off his mask and then deliberately ruffle his hair to get that look. Just in case anyone was still in any doubt that a lot of it is an act

I honestly think your goverment think they can get away with murder they are clearly not accountable.So i think they can sign the deal at last moment and then read it later then break the deal with the defence of different interpretation of the law..

Brexiters were saying they not under the eu court rules so they think they can get away with it.  This goverment will destroy your countries reputation in the world im 100% certain of this.

Edited by Tumblerseven

2 minutes ago, Tumblerseven said:

I honestly think your goverment think they can get away with murder they are clearly not accountable.So i think they can sign the deal at last moment and then read it later then break the deal with the defence of different interpretation of the law..

Brexiters were saying they not under the eu courtrules so they think they can get away with it.  This goverment will destroy your countrys reputation in the world im 100% certain of this.

Although I agree they are not trustworthy I don't think that works in political terms for them. 

The bit of the agreement they don't like is that down the line the EU could up their standards and the UK would have to cop a penalty if they didn't also match the new standards. That issue wouldn't likely come to a head for a while yet but the issue for Boris Johnson if he signed up to it would likely be him losing his political support and being turfed out as party leader in the next few months. 

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

Although I agree they are not trustworthy I don't think that works in political terms for them. 

The bit of the agreement they don't like is that down the line the EU could up their standards and the UK would have to cop a penalty if they didn't also match the new standards. That issue wouldn't likely come to a head for a while yet but the issue for Boris Johnson if he signed up to it would likely be him losing his political support and being turfed out as party leader in the next few months. 

The nasty EU and their obsession with improving standards. It’s a disgrace.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

Again though, Labour's biggest (or one of) was a lack of leadership under Corbyn laying out exactly what they'd do in this situation.

There was a lot of people hanging on the balance of "well we can see this is going to shit, so what would Labour do to make it better?" and we got nothing but cryptic messages because they couldn't agree internally what they'd do.  I think even the Libs said "we'll cancel the whole thing because it's obviously shit".  

We just need to accept we've got a load of incompetent people running the country and wanting to run the country.

It's embarrassing at this stage. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Genie said:

The lesser of the evils appears to be bending over for the EU and trying to bullshit the British people that it’s a good deal. Of course he’ll get kicked around a lot but at least we live to see another year.

If it’s no deal then he absolutely has no way of selling it (Brexit) as a good situation.

I'm not saying this is my view, but I think there's a way to explain it along these lines:

Look, the EU were nasty and unreasonable and wanted to punish this nation. The deal I wanted was good and fair, but because of their intransigence there is a short term hit to the UK, but the plus side is this - we are now completely free to improve things now we are not tethered at all to any of the EU's rules, so starting from a temporary setback caused by the EU, we are now able to use our new found freedom to become better off than we would have been if we'd agreed to the EU's unreasonable demands.

16 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Again though, Labour's biggest (or one of) was a lack of leadership under Corbyn laying out exactly what they'd do in this situation.

Yes. From the day after the vote to leave where he said "Trigger Article 50 immediately" Labour was a **** shambles, and to an extent still is. 

16 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

There was a lot of people hanging on the balance of "well we can see this is going to shit, so what would Labour do to make it better?" and we got nothing but cryptic messages because they couldn't agree internally what they'd do.  I think even the Libs said "we'll cancel the whole thing because it's obviously shit".  

We just need to accept we've got a load of incompetent people running the country and wanting to run the country.

It's embarrassing at this stage. 

I laughed at first at this because I thought it was sarcastic. The opposite is what ultimately did for Labour in the 2019 general election.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

I'm not saying this is my view, but I think there's a way to explain it along these lines:

Look, the EU were nasty and unreasonable and wanted to punish this nation. The deal I wanted was good and fair, but because of their intransigence there is a short term hit to the UK, but the plus side is this - we are now completely free to improve things now we are not tethered at all to any of the EU's rules, so starting from a temporary setback caused by the EU, we are now able to use our new found freedom to become better off than we would have been if we'd agreed to the EU's unreasonable demands.

You could well be right that this is how Boris will play it.

The obvious come back is why he said we’d easily get a good deal with the EU and/or other major nations. None of it has come to fruition despite 4 years of work and him personally campaigning on the basis we’d be better off. 
He’ll probably just mumble at this point about moving of the goal posts and coronavirus, and thanking the hard work of the NHS front line staff being first in the world to start vaccinations. 3 cheers for the NHS.

Â