The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Question (Economics)

Assumes some goods going into the UK will rise in price by 20-40%.

Will this effect the inflation rate in a big way,  if it does and they are at 0% interest what do they do ?

Like Covid,  this has the ability to skew the markets in a weird way where I can see things just not making sense.

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

We’re probably asking for the best of being in the EU without being a member which will never happen.

Even if by some miracle the EU agreed it, everyone else would leave, the EU would collapse and we’d be back to where we started. 

Yeah, that's not what I asked.

13 hours ago, jimmygreaves said:

So.... What's actually going to happen to the man in the street? Prices in the shops will go up and there'll be less choice... Loads of businesses closing and thousands on the dole?

Is that the kinda thing we should be looking forward to?

He will have his personal free doctor still don't forget. 

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

We’re probably asking for the best of being in the EU without being a member which will never happen.

Even if by some miracle the EU agreed it, everyone else would leave, the EU would collapse and we’d be back to where we started. 

But the Brexiteers told us it would be easy to get a deal, they need us more than we need them.  Just look at how many BMW's they sell here.....................etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

But the Brexiteers told us it would be easy to get a deal, they need us more than we need them.  Just look at how many BMW's they sell here.....................etc.

They will be queueing up round the block to do a deal with us I also recall being promised too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

They will be queueing up round the block to do a deal with us I also recall being promised too.

And such things were repeated by every man in the pub in the weeks leading up to the vote. 

It always amazes that Sunderland were the first area to confirm the leave vote.  Those Nissan car workers will be the first out of the job when Nissan closes the factory. 

You can bet many amateur economists on the shop floor would have been spouting such in the pubs after work. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, sidcow said:

And such things were repeated by every man in the pub in the weeks leading up to the vote. 

It always amazes that Sunderland were the first area to confirm the leave vote.  Those Nissan car workers will be the first out of the job when Nissan closes the factory. 

You can bet many amateur economists on the shop floor would have been spouting such in the pubs after work. 

Yep, I had many a heated debate with people that had swallowed the whole propaganda book. There was no convincing them that they were voting to make themselves worse off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Question (Economics)

Will this effect the inflation rate in a big way,  if it does and they are at 0% interest what do they do ?

Like Covid,  this has the ability to skew the markets in a weird way where I can see things just not making sense.

I'm not quite sure what particular question you're asking as there seem to be a number of strands that are only loosely connected, i.e. effects upon inflation (quite likely re: food inflation - how much difference that makes to the basket of goods that makes up the CPI would be unsure given effects on other things), what happens to interest rates and then how 'markets' may price in all of the consequences?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Question (Economics)

From a really childish point of view I'm kind of hoping it does so all those people that said it was project fear are shown to be dead wrong.

Then I have to stop and remind myself that a lot of the people who were taken in by Farage and his merry band will be the ones most affected by that catastrophe. It's a tough one.

Waiting for the inevitable rise in hate crime when a bunch of people wake up on January 1st and realise that Mr Singh in number 37 hasn't gone anywhere.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Yep, I had many a heated debate with people that had swallowed the whole propaganda book. There was no convincing them that they were voting to make themselves worse off. 

Reminded me of this

27149-E51-3301-44-BB-AC17-9-C314-AD0-E4-

So, so far Brexit has delivered a loss of freedom to move, live and work in the EU. It has transferred more power to the crooks we have in charge currently. It’s also about to introduce tariffs and taxes on many of the things we buy and sell which will not only increase the cost of living, it’ll probably send several huge businesses bankrupt. Others than can will transfer their operations out of the UK.

Could someone please remind me of some of the positives?

Edited by Genie
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Reminded me of this

27149-E51-3301-44-BB-AC17-9-C314-AD0-E4-

So, so far Brexit has delivered a loss of freedom to move, live and work in the EU. It has transferred more power to the crooks we have in charge currently. It’s also about to introduce tariffs and taxes on many of the things we buy and sell which will not only increase the cost of living, it’ll probably send several huge businesses bankrupt. Others than can will transfer their operations out of the UK.

Could someone please remind me of some of the positives?

There aren’t any.

I don’t even want a blue **** passport! 

It does make you laugh the comments section of anything Brexit at the moment;

"Just stop negotiating with them!"

"Why are they being so unreasonable?!"

"They'll be the ones losing out!"

All implying how nasty the EU are being, for them to try and maintain a union of member states.  Even though we were a big player in the EU, if we leave there are still several large powers that "out-strengthen" us on our own.  

Why would they give us the benefits of being a member, whilst not wanting to be a member?  If that were to happen, countries would be toppling over themselves to have the same deal, minus the membership charges imposed.  

It's nice the government have given themselves a £4,000 (I think) pay rise, just in time for Jan 1st.  Have any other civil servants/teachers/nurses/gardeners got the same % increase?

It's nice they've decided truckers can work as long as they want and the taco-meters will be void.  I'm sure RTA's will continue to trend downwards like they have over the years - ha, stupid health and safety, take that! 

And lastly, it's lovely to see the nation so divided and politicised (thanks social media), and for the people who voted for this to continually back themselves into an ever shrinking corner, becoming more agitated like the preverbal backed-up rodents becoming more vicious in their tirade against anyone who's realised "heh... maybe we're not that much of a big deal after all.."

I've even seen people suggest getting our navy involved to "defend our waters" - is that with some of the rented ships we don't own, or no? 

So, in conclusion - it's all going rather swimmingly at the moment :) 

• Like 1

Commission announces contingency measures...

Edit - can't help but admire the cheekiness of "how about we just keep fishing the same"? given the part it's played up to now...

Edited by ml1dch
  • Sad 1

Â