The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

2 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Morgan Stanley jumping ship already 2000 jobs moving out of London 

The first of many. It'll sink in what people have voted for as they start losing their jobs.

39 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

We will never get this vote again

precisely why it had to be a leave 

41 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Having a record number of pensioners vote meant that people who won't even be alive in a few years time, have helped damage the country for future generations

Is there going to be some type of cull of everyone over the age of 60 ?

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

When was this announced? 

Obvious consequence although I'm not about to shed a tear for bankers losing their jobs.

From the BBC live business page

Morgan Stanley looks to move 2,000 London staff

Posted at 13:45

BBC business reporter Joe Lynam reports...

Sources within Morgan Stanley say it has already begun the process of moving about 2,000 of its London-based investment banking staff to Dublin or Frankfurt. And it has a taskforce in place.

The jobs which would be moved from the UK would be in euro clearing but also other investment banking functions and senior management.

The American investment bank needs to avail of the passporting system which allows banks to offer financial services in all countries in the EU without having to establish a permanent base in that member state.

The president of Morgan Stanley, Colm Kelleher, told Bloomberg two days ago that Brexit would be “the most consequential thing that we’ve ever seen since the war”.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

This is where Ireland (or an independent Scotland) has the chance to clean up. 

They could make themselves the destination of choice for English speaking financial institutions. 

There's no chance for Scotland. The one thing these companies won't want is additional uncertainty. Scotland is an unknown, for them to be viable they need to leave the UK, which isn't a quick process, and rejoin the EU, which could take years.

I'd imagine a lot of companies will be gone within 12 months, mostly to Ireland and Germany.

That pretty much reflects the thoughts of a lot of people I've been speaking to. A lot of the science and tech jobs in Nottingham are EU funded, either at the two universities, or Bio City which is a big bioscience complex.  I imagine there's similar setups in other cities. There'll be a lot of highly educated scientists made redundant within the next couple of years, unless the UK government is matching the funding.

• Like 2

Just think all the floating voters that voted Tory in the last election because they were worried about the economy well  if they had of voted Labour we'd have not had a referendum. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 2

The stock market will bounce back and has already started to. Likewise the pound.  My worry is more sentiment.  Why people voted leave? I think the majority it was for nationalistic and xenophobic reasons and that worries me.

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

That pretty much reflects the thoughts of a lot of people I've been speaking to. A lot of the science and tech jobs in Nottingham are EU funded, either at the two universities, or Bio City which is a big bioscience complex.  I imagine there's similar setups in other cities. There'll be a lot of highly educated scientists made redundant within the next couple of years, unless the UK government is matching the funding.

I'm in Nottingham and was wondering about this.  There's quite a bit of regen going on around Bio City (I've previously assumed to increase the funding/research capabilities) and not sure what'll happen with that now.

People have different opinions. Name calling, abuse and bickering over who they voted for isn't going to change anything now.

It's done. We need to pull together and move on and make our country stable.

• Like 4

Just now, bobzy said:

I'm in Nottingham and was wondering about this.  There's quite a bit of regen going on around Bio City (I've previously assumed to increase the funding/research capabilities) and not sure what'll happen with that now.

In theory, there's no reason that the UK government can't match EU funding, assuming we're not utterly shafted when setting up new trade agreements. It doesn't seem likely under Tory austerity, though.

Just now, Dante_Lockhart said:

People have different opinions. Name calling, abuse and bickering over who they voted for isn't going to change anything now.

Or, we could rightly blame the people who have absolutely crippled the country and sit nice and high on our horses, whilst watching our pockets on spending, buying houses becomes harder etc etc.

;)

1 minute ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Whilst plenty of people who voted Remain are coming out and expressing their worries, there are very few (if any at all) people who voted Out saying "Hold on a moment, this is all OK because <x>, <y>, <z>".

Where's the reassurance in all this?

Â