The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

The highest levels of the British government have consistently used inflammatory language and war-like rhetoric in relation to the negotiations. Johnson compared the EU to the Nazis, and said he'd rather be "dead in a ditch" rather than ask for an extension to the negotiating deadline. Home Secretary Priti Patel suggested a food blockade might be used against Ireland. Village idiot Mark Francois called Brexit a "truly epic struggle" for freedom. The DUP have been courting paramilitaries in relation to the NI Protocol.

The ink wasn't dry on the Protocol before HMG reneged, admitting doing so was a breach of international law. "Calm and proportionate" are not words I would use to describe how HMG handled itself during Brexit.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Enda said:

"Calm and proportionate" are not words I would use to describe how HMG handled itself during Brexit.

I think @Davkauswas referring specifically to this incident about Jersey and the shenanigans around it rather than the wider tone of the UK government before, during and after leaving the EU.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I think @Davkauswas referring specifically to this incident about Jersey and the shenanigans around it rather than the wider tone of the UK government before, during and after leaving the EU.

Absolutely. Apologies if I didn't make that completely clear @Enda. I think we're in complete agreement about the general conduct of the UK government from around 2016 through to about this time yesterday.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

I wonder if the Scottish Nationalists who voted Remain see the irony

I’m sure they do. Wanting to be in the EU and being told by Westminster they can’t due to the will of the people. Wanting to leave the UK and being told by Westminster they can’t as they are stuck in a voluntary union of equals where only Westminster can decide what you can do.

I’m sure they very much see the irony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

The clue is in the word Nationalist, not sure you understand what that word means

Why don’t you educate me?

You tell me why I’m wrong. I’m ready to be persuaded and educated. Take as long as you like, I can read big words and small words.

18 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

I wonder if the Scottish Nationalists who voted Remain see the irony

There is no irony to see. They want to be a self-determing nation and all the indications are that they also wish to be part of the EU

They as a nation had their membership taken away from them, they wish to get it back. There is no irony

• Like 1

This is an excellent video. An insight into the mind of one of the many Brexiteers living in the EU.

It blows my mind that so many people dependant on the EU for the work, their businesses and the homes thought they could stick 2 fingers up to them and be absolutely fine. 
The Video creator covers this point well, it’s because the likes of Farage, Boris, JRM etc managed to convince them that UK people would get special status after leaving. “They need us more than we need them, everything is going to be fine”.

They sold the lie so well, maybe too well. 

Edited by Genie
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Genie said:

This is an excellent video. An insight into the mind of one of the many Brexiteers living in the EU.

It blows my mind that so many people dependant on the EU for the work, their businesses and the homes thought they could stick 2 fingers up to them and be absolutely fine. 
The Video creator covers this point well, it’s because the likes of Farage, Boris, JRM etc managed to convince them that UK people would get special status after leaving. “They need us more than we need them, everything is going to be fine”.

They sold the lie so well, maybe too well. 

The line that sums it up for me was the bit about choosing to believe the comfortable lie. 

It was absolutely obvious that the Brexiteers were full of bullshit about a lot of how our relationship would be with Europe after Brexit. The EU were never ever just going to allow the freedom of movement to them but not reciprocated.  But the Brexiteers just told the likes of him it would be no problem and because that's what he wanted to hear he chose to believe it. 

I've heard so many people admit they just voted for it without really knowing what would happen as well. Numpties. If you don't know what you're voting for why the **** are you voting for it? 

That caravan park looks like a horror show.  I can't think of anywhere I'd less like to stay in on a Spanish trip than that, let alone frickin live there. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

The NFU making a strong play for 'second-most suicidally gullible crowd to be taken in by Boris Johnson', though the DUP will never be knocked off top spot of course.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 2

Â