The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

24 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, sorry I misread it although it does say that the fuller trade deal would require free movement. I'm pretty sure India was one of the big prizes Brexiteers mentioned so I'm sure they will still have that to chunter about at some point in the future. 

I think it's pretty clear there will never be full free movement of people, because average per capita income is less than $2k p.a., and that number is itself wildly distorted by India's very high inequality. There are literally hundreds of millions of Indians who earn in the region of 1% of an average UK wage, so I just don't see how it could ever be plausible, and to whatever extent it is a precondition of a 'full' trade deal then I think that is a very good reason to be bearish about the prospects of such a deal.

I do agree with you though, that this is the fundamental tension in this relationship. India's government is keen for wider access to the UK for its citizens, because this is something that lots of middle-class Indian voters would be interested in. Given the wide inequality in India, you could imagine one way to solve this would be a fairly wide-ranging visa in terms of access that nevertheless has very high financial requirements. Another area for potential visa expansion - desired by both the Indian government and by UK universities over-extended on Chinese students - is a big increase in student visa allocations. I'm not sure why this wasn't the outcome this time, because this was certainly the main ask from the Indian side when Theresa May visited a few years ago.

The French have retaliated and have sent a warship to patrol off Jersey

A pissing contest to placate dickheads and pander to a certain part of the base (on both sides of the channel)

• Like 1

Weren’t we going to share an aircraft carrier with France?

Imagine how much easier this would all be now if we’d managed to agree that.

We could have just the one ship there to blockade, prevent the blockade, and protect the blockaders and observe and do some dynamite fishing.

So much more efficient than all the different tasks needing all these different boats.

• Haha 2

UK Breexiteers will be loving this.

French fisherman worried about their livelihoods and a couple of Royal Navy ships patrolling.

This is exactly the Brexit they voted for.

17 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Reports of a greased up Mark Francois wearing union jack speedos, trying to commandeer the Duck Tours amphibus on the Thames.

The grease will be to get him out from whatever rock he's mysteriously lived under recently.

The Navy ships we've sent are patrol boats routinely used for maritime policing. In this specific scenario, given the Brexit mistake, I'm not sure there's much blame on this side of the channel.

We're there to supervise to make sure things don't kick off while the french fishermen are attempting to blockade, and french politicians are threatening to cut off the power. 

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

The Navy ships we've sent are patrol boats routinely used for maritime policing. In this specific scenario, given the Brexit mistake, I'm not sure there's much blame on this side of the channel.

We're there to supervise to make sure things don't kick off while the french fishermen are attempting to blockade, and french politicians are threatening to cut off the power. 

You would have to say the French fisherman are out of order. 

If they are not happy with it they should be looking to the French Government to resolve this by political means not by stopping their fellow fisherman from earning their own livelihoods. 

We've also seen how these fishing arguments can develop into highly dangerous situations in the past when they start ramming each other at sea. 

There surely must be a political solution to this. 

If they've been given restrictions that go against the Brexit deal, it's no surprise they're angry.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-jersey-eu-uk-france-b1843053.html

fishing row

Jersey fishing row: European Commission says UK is breaking Brexit trade deal

Licences for French boats do not meet terms of deal agreed by Boris Johnson, says Brussels

Andrew Woodcock
Political Editor
@andywoodcock
2 hours ago
 29 comments

The European Commission has told Britain that the conditions imposed on licences for French fishing vessels in Jersey territorial waters breach the terms of the EU/UK trade deal, a Brussels spokesperson has said.

Edited by Rolta

Some argy-bargy now apparently with French trawlers ramming UK boats. 

link <- video on the link, warning it’s the s*n

Dramatic footage obtained by The Sun shows the steel trawler accelerating as it hurtles towards the tiny pleasure boat being skippered by Jonathan.

A sickening crunching sound of metal against fibreglass is heard before Jonathan manages to pull away and head to the safety of St Helier marina.

The patriotic property developer said he was just "sticking up for the island" after angry French fishermen began steaming in just after 6am.

They set off flares and held up banners as the huge row over post-Brexit fishing rights intensifies.

58 minutes ago, Rolta said:

If they've been given restrictions that go against the Brexit deal, it's no surprise they're angry.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-jersey-eu-uk-france-b1843053.html

fishing row

Jersey fishing row: European Commission says UK is breaking Brexit trade deal

Licences for French boats do not meet terms of deal agreed by Boris Johnson, says Brussels

Andrew Woodcock
Political Editor
@andywoodcock
2 hours ago
 29 comments

The European Commission has told Britain that the conditions imposed on licences for French fishing vessels in Jersey territorial waters breach the terms of the EU/UK trade deal, a Brussels spokesperson has said.

Apparently there is an odd legal quirk, whereby the UK is able to commit the Channel Islands to an international agreement, but doesn't have the jurisdiction to enforce what they've signed them up to.

Which to me sounds like a recipe for a never-ending, tit-for-tat argument over who can fish where, with lots of navy boat dick-swinging.

What fun.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think the situation is being helped much by brave patriotic property developers in pleasure boats.

He didn’t look very brave to me. Looked a bit like he was “running” away as quickly as his little boat could carry him

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think the situation is being helped much by brave patriotic property developers in pleasure boats.

Hard to think of any situation that could be improved by such a horrifying concept.

• Like 1

It's good to know that in the modern, rapidly evolving geo-political landscape, some things never change, and the french have capitulated in record time ;) 

Seriously though, if there has been a violation of the agreement, it's not right, it should be looked into, and if it takes a court to sort it out, so be it. What doesn't help is antagonistic bullshit from French politicians about cutting off energy, being ready for war, and talking about bringing Jersey to its knees.

Brexit is on us, and I still view it as a calamity, but from what I've seen, we've acted calmly and proportionally in response to threats and escalation.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's good to know that in the modern, rapidly evolving geo-political landscape, some things never change, and the french have capitulated in record time ;) 

Seriously though, if there has been a violation of the agreement, it's not right, it should be looked into, and if it takes a court to sort it out, so be it. What doesn't help is antagonistic bullshit from French politicians about cutting off energy, being ready for war, and talking about bringing Jersey to its knees.

Brexit is on us, and I still view it as a calamity, but from what I've seen, we've acted calmly and proportionally in response to threats and escalation.

Is the British media so biased that people believe this? Surely you can’t be serious?

10 minutes ago, Enda said:

Is the British media so biased that people believe this? Surely you can’t be serious?

I'm absolutely serious. Brexit ultimately got us where we are, and I'm not going to pretend to understand the finer points of trade agreements and their relationship to Jersey's sovriegnty. The french fisherman may very well have valid grievances.

But I don't think sending a Navy boot or two to keep an eye on things while 80 french fishing vessels are outside threatening to blockade is disproportionate, and I've seen no escalation from our politicians along the lines of this:

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/french-official-says-were-ready-for-war-as-police-vessels-arrive-in-jersey-268278/

French official says “we’re ready for war” as police vessels arrive in Jersey

He said the country has the ability to "bring Jersey to its knees if necessary".

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/may/04/france-threatens-to-cut-off-power-to-jersey-in-post-brexit-fishing-row

The French government could cut off the electricity supply to Jersey in an escalating row over post-Brexit fishing rights, a French minister has suggested.

Responding to questions in the national assembly, Annick Girardin, the minister for maritime affairs, said she was “revolted” by the UK government’s behaviour over its waters and France was ready to retaliate.

Britain still rules the waves   

Those Frenchies don't like it up em.

One look at our Gun Boats and they turned tail and headed for home. 

troll GIF

Â