The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

‘Boris Johnson’s personal assurance’

When you watch tv consumer problems programmes, you think, who are these **** stupid idiots that believe they’ve been phoned by Microsoft and hand over their bank account details…

But they’re out there, masquerading as fully functioning human beans.

47 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

‘Boris Johnson’s personal assurance’

When you watch tv consumer problems programmes, you think, who are these **** stupid idiots that believe they’ve been phoned by Microsoft and hand over their bank account details…

But they’re out there, masquerading as fully functioning human beans.

Yup, I posted this in the crypto currency thread but it’s incredible that even a teacher didn’t see through it, or double check before handing over their life savings.

How gullible can some people be?

A victim of online scammers, who was conned into giving away her savings, has warned others not to make the same mistake.

Julie Bushnell said she felt ashamed and embarrassed after falling for a Bitcoin fraud that cost her £9,000.

It used the name of entrepreneur Elon Musk and a story on a fake BBC website suggesting she could double her money in a giveaway of the cryptocurrency.

The Brighton teacher said: "I think about it every minute of every day."

Ms Bushnell, an investor in cryptocurrency, spotted an item on a website that appeared to use BBC News branding, claiming Mr Musk, the billionaire boss of the Tesla car firm, would pay back double the sum of any Bitcoin deposit.

She paid £9,000, which she had saved for a deposit on a new home. When no reciprocal payment arrived it dawned on her that she had become the victim of a scam.

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yup, I posted this in the crypto currency thread but it’s incredible that even a teacher didn’t see through it, or double check before handing over their life savings.

How gullible can some people be?

As a teacher myself, I'm touched by your apparent faith that teachers should be invulnerable to scams, cons and obvious bullshit, but I am here to remorsefully tell you that there are just as many idiots in this profession as there are any other.

• Haha 1

It does actually make me worry now and again that eventually one day when I’m tired and busy, it’ll be me that falls for the most ridiculous of scams.

I can’t imagine it’ll be something as basic as believing Boris Johnson’s personal assurance. It’ll be something more fiendishly complex, hopefully. Like getting a phone call from Elon Musk, Bill Gates and a Nigerian Prince all needing to borrow my bank account.

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The NFU making a strong play for 'second-most suicidally gullible crowd to be taken in by Boris Johnson', though the DUP will never be knocked off top spot of course.

The NFU were Pro-remain as I recall, it was half its members that were the gulible idiots

EU referendum: National Farmers' Union backs staying in EU

Link

A Birmingham automotive factory is set to close with the loss of more than 500 jobs after its owners rejected plans put forward by staff and management. 

GKN Automotive in Chester Road will shut in 2022 with the loss of 519 roles after an alternative plan by a team of union officers, senior management at the plant, shop stewards and Jack Dromey MP, proposed earlier this month was turned down. 

The Erdington site makes driveline systems and is one of the UK’s oldest engineering firms. 

In January staff had been told of the closure plan with work to be transferred to Europe. GKN Automotive's chief executive Liam Butterworth, said: “Sadly, an increasingly competitive global market means that the site is no longer viable.”

More good news from Brexit. 63% of Birmingham Erdington voted leave, I wonder how many of them are now jobless?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Genie said:

Link

More good news from Brexit. 63% of Birmingham Erdington voted leave, I wonder how many of them are now jobless?

That site has been on its knees for about 20 years. Used to be Hardy Spicer IIRC. My old next door neighbour worked there. Got a fat redundancy payment about 15 years back - he was chuffed! 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

That site has been on its knees for about 20 years. Used to be Hardy Spicer IIRC. My old next door neighbour worked there. Got a fat redundancy payment about 15 years back - he was chuffed! 

Yeah that's the place. As you say it seems to have been in danger of being closed for as long as I can remember. I think I did some kind of engineering scheme there through school many years back.

Still, it's not good news. As people have said it could be repurposed and reinvented to provide much-needed new tech for electric vehicles but the owners seem determined to just asset strip it and shut it down.

2 hours ago, Enda said:

Loyalist paramilitaries, in a letter to Ursula von der Leyen on the Northern Ireland Protocol, insist they will not accept a "diktat from yet another unelected German."

Ursula von der Leyen was, of course, elected to her position and the (unelected) loyalist paramilitaries are in fact complaining about an international treaty approved by the House of Commons.

Very clever with your education and ability to think, you must be very proud of yourself.

Meanwhile these poor thick bastards have got exactly what they asked for, which is deeply unfair and if democracy is to mean anything, it’s got to mean them getting what they now think they want in an undefined way, not what they insisted they wanted at the time.

Hopefully, now they have a leader that believes he was created by god blowing bubbles in to some clay to live on an earth created 4,000 years ago, they’ll get the international respect they deserve. 

March 2016:  Farmers have nothing to fear from Brexit. 
April 2016:     Farmers will fare best from Brexit. 
August 2016: Farmers can have a bright future.
May 2021:      Farmers are f****d by Brexit

682-D84-C8-5-B90-488-E-B501-AD49-E671-F5

05-EB835-C-D341-4648-8-E48-93353216-B40-

349-F9080-A5-CB-430-F-835-B-839596473-CE

EF7-E68-BC-365-D-40-EA-A0-BB-464450711-F

Who could have predicted something like this could happen?

• Like 2

On 27/05/2021 at 11:13, Genie said:

March 2016:  Farmers have nothing to fear from Brexit. 
April 2016:     Farmers will fare best from Brexit. 
August 2016: Farmers can have a bright future.
May 2021:      Farmers are f****d by Brexit

682-D84-C8-5-B90-488-E-B501-AD49-E671-F5

05-EB835-C-D341-4648-8-E48-93353216-B40-

349-F9080-A5-CB-430-F-835-B-839596473-CE

EF7-E68-BC-365-D-40-EA-A0-BB-464450711-F

Who could have predicted something like this could happen?

I’ve been wondering something for a few days and I hope someone can help.

Pre-vote UK farmers had unlimited access to tariff free trading with the biggest trading block on the world, which was on the doorstep. Many farmers were also getting large amounts of money from the EU.

Genuine question, what were the farmers who voted leave expecting to happen to make their situation better? I can’t actually think of what they would have been told to support them having a “bright future” or that they will “fare best” from Brexit?

Does anyone know? Did they think they’d sell more stuff? Of that they could charge more for some reason?

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Pre-vote UK farmers had unlimited access to tariff free trading with the biggest trading block on the world, which was on the doorstep. Many farmers were also getting large amounts of money from the EU.

Genuine question, what were the farmers who voted leave expecting to happen to make their situation better? I can’t actually think of what they would have been told to support them having a “bright future” or that they will “fare best” from Brexit?

Does anyone know? Did they think they’d sell more stuff? Of that they could charge more for some reason?

Farmers were promised a portion of the rebate to make up for losing the subsidy. They were glamoured by the louder voices the Leave campaign had, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

We can’t actually know how most farmers voted. We hear lots about the various block votes of various demographics and most of it is junk based on guesswork based on stereotype.

But we do know of one farmer that was very pro Brexit. Gareth Wyn Jones is a sort of hill farmer come occasional tv personality.

He was convinced that the Brexit benefit would mean the subsidies he received from Europe would simply be replaced with subsidies from Westminster. He believed the bus. He thought that his produce would be protected because he would still be subsidised, but he wouldn’t have to worry about any Euro rules that he didn’t like and once we were masters of our own destiny we could set rules with the rest of the world that would be very much in our favour. It’s no great leap to see that he appears to have genuinely believed his income was ring fenced, his product was protected, his sales could only go up in volume and price.

Gareth win win win Jones.

It turns out, his leap of faith, based on whispers, vague promises, and a bus slogan, haven’t panned out as thought. 

He is angry. He’s been stiffed. He could lose his family farm. But like all good gammon, he has worked out for himself exactly what the problem is. The problem is a heady combination of too many politicians in Cardiff, and vegetarians.

• Like 1

Â