The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

3 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I'm a teacher in Madrid and this was definitely not the case for me. The actual financial number I saw was more like €750 and that amount was always a condition of freedom of movement within the EU. Countries never enforced it though and the Brexiters who were bullshitting (in contrast to the Brexiters who believed the bullshit) conveniently omitted mentioning that in the referendum.

You probably know better than me, I'm just repeating a figure I read from a few different sources at the start of the month

I thought the situation was if you were there before the end of 2020 you could apply and stay. 
The £2,000 a month is a new, post Brexit requirement of you want to apply for residency from 01/01/21.

The Brits in Spain who face being kicked out either didn’t apply for residency last year on time, or are new arrivals who won’t meet the new criteria.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

I'm a teacher in Madrid and this was definitely not the case for me. The actual financial number I saw was more like €750 and that amount was always a condition of freedom of movement within the EU. Countries never enforced it though and the Brexiters who were bullshitting (in contrast to the Brexiters who believed the bullshit) conveniently omitted mentioning that in the referendum.

Edit: in Madrid at least I didn't have to prove anything about my financial situation. Not that I was aware of anyway. They probably had access to some details though. 

It’s probably been commented on elsewhere and I’ve missed it, but could you give an idea on how the locals feel about the Brits leaving please? Is there a degree of schadenfreude they’re adopting or is it more indifferent?

Poland had no financial conditions.

I just had to register as an EU citizen before 31st Dec, now I have until the end of 2021 to register again for a permanent residency card.

I'll apply for citizenship soon so hopefully just a stopgap.

• Like 1

Bulgaria has amended their rules so that if I apply for citizenship I must renounce my British citizenship. 

Luckily I've just got ten years permanent residency so I'll just keep renewing that until Russia invades the old Eastern Bloc.

5 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Bulgaria has amended their rules so that if I apply for citizenship I must renounce my British citizenship. 

Luckily I've just got ten years permanent residency so I'll just keep renewing that until Russia invades the old Eastern Bloc.

I don't think they can legally do that.

In Poland you can in theory only have 1 citizenship but there's nothing stopping me keeping my English passport.

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

In Poland you can in theory only have 1 citizenship but there's nothing stopping me keeping my English passport.

I'm not sure about the legality of it, I'll look into it.I already qualify for my €90 a month pension so I'm obviously beating some sort of system.

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

This is the same in Spain. Everyone I know who's done it just keeps their British one too and they don't tell anyone. Someone once said that it's not possible to give up your British passport too, but that is definitely anecdotal and might have been said in the middle of beers. 

45 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I can't see why it would be illegal under Bulgarian law. Lots of countries forbid citizens to hold dual nationalities.

I mean, in the sense of, how can Bulgaria force you to not have a British passport? And how could they enforce it?

19 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I mean, in the sense of, how can Bulgaria force you to not have a British passport? And how could they enforce it?

I don't know if/how Bulgaria does it, but another country could require you to produce a declaration of renunciation.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Netherlands (for example) say that you cannot become a Dutch citizen without renouncing your previous one unless there is a good reason not to. Good reasons include "you legally can't" (Iran and Greece for example say that you cannot renounce your citizenship) or if you are a refugee becoming naturalised, then you get to keep your original nationality as well.

"I quite fancy having both" doesn't count as a good reason. They also say that if a Dutch person acquires another nationality, then they automatically lose their Dutch one (again, with some exceptions).

15 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I've just got ten years permanent residency so I'll just keep renewing that until Russia invades the old Eastern Bloc.

15 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I don't think they can legally do that..

Didn’t stop them invading Crimea.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The Spectator wading in with this hot take

Jesus. And some will fall for it too.

Brexit would be the FA leaving UEFA with shoddy arrangements for continuing to participate in the Champions League. The Super League is more Brexity than Remain.

• Like 1

Actually the football equivalent of Brexit would be the FA wanting to leave UEFA so the FA could in theory have 12 players on the field if they wanted, and then getting upset when England’s not allowed play in the Euros.

On 19/04/2021 at 15:29, Enda said:

Actually the football equivalent of Brexit would be the FA wanting to leave UEFA so the FA could in theory have 12 players on the field if they wanted, and then getting upset when England’s not allowed play in the Euros.

English clubs decide to leave a successful but flawed European set-up, for the vague, unclear promises of future riches elsewhere. Then they realise that nobody gave the consequences the first thought, things quickly turn to shit and they end up looking like pricks.

Can't think of any precedent for that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Who could possibly have predicted this...

EU countries rule out bilateral asylum deals in blow to Priti Patel’s immigration plans

Exclusive: Questions over Home Office intention to deport asylum seekers to Europe as EU governments dismiss idea, saying Britain can no longer ‘count on European solidarity’

In a major blow to Priti Patel’s immigration plans, EU countries have said they will not strike bilateral agreements with Britain to facilitate the deportation of refugees to Europe.

New measures unveiled by the home secretary last month would see refugees who arrive in Britain via unauthorised routes denied an automatic right to asylum and instead forcibly removed to safe countries they passed through on their way to the UK, which are usually in the EU.

Indie

• Like 2

Â