Keinan Davis

a-k

Heskey helped his teammates. We chose him over Cavani and Falcao and righly so. His job wasn’t to score sitters it was to miss them. Champions league? Pah Heskey did his job and missed those chances but he bought other players in. Namely Arsenal’s and Chelsea’s And Everton’s too. They all finished above us after Heskey came in and did his job.

Hopefully Davis will do the same as his hold up play will definitely help. I’m sure he can do better than Heskey - he doesn’t even get in to the positions to miss the sitters. 

On a serious note my frustration with Davis is apparent with what happened today at around 03:00 minutes in. He does brilliantly well holds off a few defenders after receiving a sharp ball in. Lays it off. And trots towards the centre (which is fine) we eventually carve out a chance with Elmohamady crossing it in. Davis should have been busting a gut to get on the end of it instead he was toddling along on the penalty spot.

His touch and control are very very good. His attacking instincts as a striker are not. Luis Suarez has excellent hold up play. So too do other lethal predators. Yes he brings players in but Davis needs to start scoring more goals. 

Edited by Sulberto21

If I had ever seen him look remotely like scoring goals I’d feel differently...but I never have.

Im not saying prolific, but if he looked even a goal every 5 games or so.

He is  good. We can all see he holds the ball up well, etc....but what’s he got, 2/3 goals in 30 odd games ?

• Like 1

I don’t get the fan hype around him. 

He can hold a ball up. That is it. Doesn’t threaten a defence, doesn’t turn his man, doesn’t threaten a goal, is weak in the air. 

Million miles away from where we want to be as a club. Sell or loan out. 

• Like 3

I thought he was at his best yesterday, the ball stuck to him like glue, his decision making was sharp and he played a crucial role in the first two goals as a result. Grealish made a point to congratulate him on it and then tried to slip him in for a chance moments later when he had a better option in Green. I'm choosing to think this was deliberate because I'm certain Jack isn't blind. 

Some absolute nonsense spouted about him IMO. He's not lazy, his movement isn't poor, he's doing to job he has been asked to do and he's doing it well. 

I still think a loan would suit him, I want him playing every week and seeing if he can't build a bit of confidence in front of goal too. He has been doing the right things IMO, just needs to catch a break. 

• Like 4

On 27/07/2019 at 17:11, Davkaus said:

There's this young keeper I think we should look at. Fantastic all round game. I think he'll add a lot.

Doesn't save many, no, struggles to catch, really. Dispraxic I think, constant butterfingers. 

His distribution is phenomenal though, great throws, superb goals kicks.

Why do you keep going on about saves? Look, it's not all bad. Sometimes it hits him in the face and he keeps it out. But let me tell you about his command of the box...

michael jordan laughing GIF

23 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Heskey helped his teammates. We chose him over Cavani and Falcao and righly so. His job wasn’t to score sitters it was to miss them. Champions league? Pah Heskey did his job and missed those chances but he bought other players in. Namely Arsenal’s and Chelsea’s And Everton’s too. They all finished above us after Heskey came in and did his job.

Hopefully Davis will do the same as his hold up play will definitely help. I’m sure he can do better than Heskey - he doesn’t even get in to the positions to miss the sitters. 

On a serious note my frustration with Davis is apparent with what happened today at around 03:00 minutes in. He does brilliantly well holds off a few defenders after receiving a sharp ball in. Lays it off. And trots towards the centre (which is fine) we eventually carve out a chance with Elmohamady crossing it in. Davis should have been busting a gut to get on the end of it instead he was toddling along on the penalty spot.

His touch and control are very very good. His attacking instincts as a striker are not. Luis Suarez has excellent hold up play. So too do other lethal predators. Yes he brings players in but Davis needs to start scoring more goals. 

You guys are on top form today 🤣

He just doesn’t score goals...hopefully he can learn off Wes. Again, like the other kids, he needs to go out on loan and get some regular football for a full season. There’s not much point in keeping these guys around in reserve and they’re not good enough to make a telling contribution, especially at this level.

8 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I thought he was at his best yesterday, the ball stuck to him like glue, his decision making was sharp and he played a crucial role in the first two goals as a result. Grealish made a point to congratulate him on it and then tried to slip him in for a chance moments later when he had a better option in Green. I'm choosing to think this was deliberate because I'm certain Jack isn't blind. 

Some absolute nonsense spouted about him IMO. He's not lazy, his movement isn't poor, he's doing to job he has been asked to do and he's doing it well. 

I still think a loan would suit him, I want him playing every week and seeing if he can't build a bit of confidence in front of goal too. He has been doing the right things IMO, just needs to catch a break. 

I thought he held the ball up and brought players in very well.

He is still learning, but what I would like to see him work on......is to watch the wingers like a  hawk ( and vice versa)and time his runs in to the box to meet their crosses as opposed to getting there too soon and be marked out by a centre half. He is not far off being the real deal

I think he needs to time his runs better to avoid being closed out......Andy Gray and Peter Withe used to do it very well and it was difficult to mark them under such circumstances.....Keinan looks to me like needing a bit of one on one work, to iron the things out that are stopping him being a very good player, needs to be a tad more aggressive too, like Costa was, to stop players getting too close to him.

He does do quite a few things very well.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

He is still learning, but what I would like to see him work on......is to watch the wingers like a  hawk ( and vice versa)and time his runs in to the box to meet their crosses as opposed to getting there too soon and be marked out by a centre half. He is not far off being the real deal

I think he needs to time his runs better to avoid being closed out......Andy Gray and Peter Withe used to do it very well and it was difficult to mark them under such circumstances.....Keinan looks to me like needing a bit of one on one work, to iron the things out that are stopping him being a very good player, needs to be a tad more aggressive too, like Costa was, to stop players getting too close to him.

He does do quite a few things very well.

Do you think we could do with a “striker coach”, training the forwards, similarly to how Terry works with the defenders on the specifics?

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I get the impression people think this is really easy and that every player does it. 

There's a reason why Troy Deeney, a 10 goal a season striker, is so important to Watford and so highly regarded by most. I dunno if Davis can ever get to that level, but that's probably his peak and we should try and get him there. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I get the impression people think this is really easy and that every player does it. 

There's a reason why Troy Deeney, a 10 goal a season striker, is so important to Watford and so highly regarded by most. I dunno if Davis can ever get to that level, but that's probably his peak and we should try and get him there. 

it most definitely isn't easy Dave and its good to have a player that can......But he does need to score to shut us up.....like i said in my earlier post just a bit of one on one work to get that edge.....I think its timing his runs /reading the play,is key.

10 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Must admit it seemed to me most people were saying it’s a terrific attribute...which it is.

If he added those 10 goals ( or even 8 goals) he would indeed be a very valuable player....and with such players rare, it may well be worth trying to get him there. 

Must admit I just don’t see him scoring goals...but, fingers crossed.

9 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Must admit it seemed to me most people were saying it’s a terrific attribute...which it is.

If he added those 10 goals ( or even 8 goals) he would indeed be a very valuable player....and with such players rare, it may well be worth trying to get him there. 

Must admit I just don’t see him scoring goals...but, fingers crossed.

Its a funny one for me Terry ......I don't think he is far away and that may sound parodoxical, because without goals he is.

I watch his game carefully and just a few tweaks here and there in the crucial things and I am sure the goals will come.

He is not going to be will-o-wisp or a ball playing twister and turner like Gabriel Batistuta( one of my all time favourites).....but I think if he times his runs & jumps better, he could be a whole different player.

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

If Davis has 10-12 goals a season in him then he is a very very good asset to have. 

But he won't. Never. Ever.

Likeable fella I'm sure, but we should just cut our losses here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Its a funny one for me Terry ......I don't think he is far away and that may sound parodoxical, because without goals he is.

I watch his game carefully and just a few tweaks here and there in the crucial things and I am sure the goals will come.

He is not going to be will-o-wisp or a ball playing twister and turner like Gabriel Batistuta( one of my all time favourites).....but I think if he times his runs & jumps better, he could be a whole different player.

Maybe. I certainly hope so because with goals he’d be fine. But I don’t even recall seeing him miss chances, let alone score any. We will see. I’ve no ability to predict what he might do, but my head says those goals aren’t going to appear.

• Like 1

Goal scoring isn't all about instinct and natural ability. A huge part of it is getting a run in the side and being given the chance to hit form. 

Goal scoring is about confidence, if you get one or two in a row then the next chance you hit instinctively. If you miss two or three in a row the next chance you snatch at or hesitate. 

Now I'm not saying he could be a world beater, but the lad hasn't had regular football with anyone to develop him. He needs a loan move to a good championship club for a year and then see what he becomes.

Harry Kane didnt score by the bucket load as a kid, he needed some loans before finally looking like a prolific marksmen. 

Don't write him off until he has at least had a chance to develop. If we aren't going to use him regularly we will only damage him in the long run by keeping him here this year

Edited by ramshackler

6 minutes ago, ramshackler said:

Goal scoring isn't all about instinct and natural ability. A huge part of it is getting a run in the side and being given the chance to hit form. 

Goal scoring is about confidence, if you get one or two in a row then the next chance you hit instinctively. If you miss two or three in a row the next chance you snatch at or hesitate. 

Now I'm not saying he could be a world beater, but the lad hasn't had regular football with anyone to develop him. He needs a loan move to a good championship club for a year and then see what he becomes.

Harry Kane didnt score by the bucket load as a kid, he needed some loans before finally looking like a prolific marksmen. 

Don't write him off until he has at least had a chance to develop. If we aren't going to use him regularly we will only damage him in the long run by keeping him here this year

but while he looks quite good on a lot of other things he never looks like he’s going to score.  Not only if given a goal scoring chance but he doesn’t ever seem to be in goal scoring places.  

As I’ve said he’s got some good other attributes but I don’t think they are enough, even non-prolific strikers bag a decent bunch of goals and he doesn’t do that.  

Argument is that he young but I just can’t see that part in his game even in something that can be developed.

• Like 2

Is he too old to be trained in a new position, he's a good footballer but not a striker.

Think hes born in the wrong era, might have excelled in a 4-4-2 in the 80s & 90s, but these days when you play just one up top they need to be very good at everything.

Â