Keinan Davis

a-k

14 hours ago, Farlz said:

Goal scoring. 

His ability to hold up the ball is great and has some really nifty footwork but I just never fancy him to score and I personally don't see that ever changing unfortunately. 

Agree. I’ve no idea whether it will change, but whenever I’ve seen him he looks less like a goal scorer than, say, our Centre Backs have over the years. I just never think he looks the least dangerous. Which is a shame, because he does the rest very well, and consistently.

Does he need a completely different role maybe ? Would it be worth seeing what he could do driving at defenders ?

Ive no idea, but I agree with those that see enough there to persevere, via a loan to a Club that would use him well.

Another one that in an ideal world we get another body in the door so he can go out and play 30+ games next season.

He is a tricky one, I think he is very talented but he needs the right club and system that has players to work off him (basically ours but at a lower level)

If he goes somewhere like Sunderland where he is expected to be an out and out No.9 and hit 20 goals he is going to be getting a battering.

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Opposite in what way? You thought Davis looked a class above Wesley?

No I think they pretty much did the same job. Didn't see a whole lot of difference in quality. Also think Wesley probably had an easier time in the second half than Davis had in the first half. We just looked more mobile the second half, or maybe the opposition got tired. 

Wesley probably is a much better player, I wouldn't know thus far, but I think on the showing last match they performed very much the same level. 

1 hour ago, KHV said:

Going to Sunderland is never a good idea at any time for anyone

To be fair Sunderland will probably be a top 6 team in their league. And that's a league Davis should dominate if he has a future here, so I think that would be a good loan move. 

His movement when we're on the break is very poor from yesterday's game. 

With his back to goal, he's very good, he likes the ball played into feet and he's strong enough to create half a yard to get shot off. 

However, in the 1st half yesterday, there were 2 moments where Jack carried the ball with Davis and Green in support of him, hopefully this diagram :lol: will help you understand my main concern;

image.png.239ee6732ddae247985d7e449b107b2a.png

You have Jack, running directly towards the goal, once he picked the ball up, he ran about 30-40 yards with it.  The issue, is that he didn't follow the yellow route, which would have given Jack two options;

1) either attack the space Davis created, by dragging his centre back away

2) laying a simple pass on the "wrong side" of Jack's CB, which would have set Davis up on his stronger foot, at a good angle for a shot on goal.  

Green's movement wasn't good either, he should (or could) have ran in-field behind Jack, so Jack could give him a lay off, on his stronger foot, for a shot from about 22 yards away. 

As it actually turned out,  Jack had to stop on his white mark and give a simple, easily telegraphed pass and we lost the opportunity. 

Only a friendly, but I'd like to see him start making those runs, because they are the runs which will get us chances. 

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

No I think they pretty much did the same job. Didn't see a whole lot of difference in quality. Also think Wesley probably had an easier time in the second half than Davis had in the first half. We just looked more mobile the second half, or maybe the opposition got tired. 

Wesley probably is a much better player, I wouldn't know thus far, but I think on the showing last match they performed very much the same level. 

They did a similar job (target man) but in very different ways. Wesley was receiving the ball, taking one or two touches and popping it off with purpose, as demonstrated by the assist. Which was of the kind of quality I am talking about, that which Davis doesn't yet have. Davis has great feet, he can wiggle out of danger as well as anyone else on the team, but then he doesn't really do an awful lot with it aside from the basics. Which he performs very well to his credit.

He's just not quite penetrative enough yet for my liking, but I am hopeful it will come.  

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

They did a similar job (target man) but in very different ways. Wesley was receiving the ball, taking one or two touches and popping it off with purpose, as demonstrated by the assist. Which was of the kind of quality I am talking about, that which Davis doesn't yet have. Davis has great feet, he can wiggle out of danger as well as anyone else on the team, but then he doesn't really do an awful lot with it aside from the basics. Which he performs very well to his credit.

He's just not quite penetrative enough yet for my liking, but I am hopeful it will come.  

I agree with this. I think Davies is a the stage where he does most things okay but he needs a loan desperately now so he can start becoming the striker his potential indicates he can be. He simply put, needs goals on his CV. I think a loan to the championship for a season with 50-75%  game time will do him the world of good. He is not going to get enough minutes with us this season imo. 

• Like 2

I'd expected someone in his position to bust a gut and really try and show he deserves a spot in the squad.

Looked very lackadaisical and not really up for it in the first half. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sne said:

I'd expected someone in his position to bust a gut and really try and show he deserves a spot in the squad.

Looked very lackadaisical and not really up for it in the first half. 

Only a friendly but I’ve thought that about him many time. Which is why I don’t think he can make it at the highest level,

• Like 1

Â