Keinan Davis

a-k

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

No I think he has cracking potential. I think ideally he needs to play regular football for now, see if he can improve his decision making, bag a few goals and then make the jump. 

Cracking potential on everything but getting into the right positions to score goals and if he does, he can’t put it in the net.  Two key attributes for a striker.

He doesn’t haven’t to be high scorer but needs to contribute in terms of goals and he doesn’t look like he has that potential.

Needs to go on loan a couple of times and review in a year or two but if we got a good offer now to sell I’d snap their hands off because he doesnt have enough for a PL striker IMO.

22 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Cracking potential on everything but getting into the right positions to score goals and if he does, he can’t put it in the net.  Two key attributes for a striker.

He doesn’t haven’t to be high scorer but needs to contribute in terms of goals and he doesn’t look like he has that potential.

Needs to go on loan a couple of times and review in a year or two but if we got a good offer now to sell I’d snap their hands off because he doesnt have enough for a PL striker IMO.

He's a target man. He has a quality first touch, he can wiggle his way out of a jam with his footwork and we know the physical attributes are all there. 

He has over his short career averaged 2.3 shots per game, compared to Wesley's 2.46. So if he isn't getting it done there, then neither is our £22m striker.

You're right that his finishing has been poor. I also think the sample size is really small, he has only played a touch over 2,000 minutes in his career. 55 shots total. It isn't good enough that he only has 2 goals from that, but we never heard of issues with his finishing coming up? There could be a lot of bad luck involved here too. 

25 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

he can wiggle his way out of a jam with his footwork

but we never heard of issues with his finishing coming up? 

I don’t think his footwork is that good, looks similar to welbeck in that he beats someone more by luck than judgement.

He wasn’t with us coming up, but I’d guess one of the reasons he wasn’t at an academy is that he isn’t a natural finisher

I think he may get more game time that people think whilst Wesley gets up to speed. 

Looks like we are trying to get goals across the front line - rather than a prolific number 9 - still think that might leave us short of goals - but confident that DS knows what he is doing.

Looks like the management have real faith in this guy, just as Bruce did (to an extent) previously. Hope he can make his mark. There's only just over a year's age gap between him and Wesley so hopefully he can push him all the way.

• Like 2

Every time I watch Davis he looks excellent to me, he just can't seem to score, but it's not as if every time he gets a chance he completely messes up often he'll test the keeper, or come very close. It was barely a year ago that we were in the championship, he was being compared to Benteke, and he was being linked with a move to the Premier league.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I don’t think his footwork is that good, looks similar to welbeck in that he beats someone more by luck than judgement.

Now please don't take this the wrong way but this just sounds like a load of waffle to me. I don't really care how graceful a player looks whilst doing it, the fact that it is a demonstrably repeatable skill is all that matters. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Really would love him to come good. ...IMO him weighing in with 10-12 goals isn't off the agenda - look at the supply line we have & Smith's record of getting people scoring.

Him scoring 10 + goals would mean Davis starting the vast majority of games. 

That's well off the agenda. 

2 hours ago, El-Reacho said:

Looks like the management have real faith in this guy, just as Bruce did (to an extent) previously. Hope he can make his mark. There's only just over a year's age gap between him and Wesley so hopefully he can push him all the way.

I don’t think Bruce had any faith in him. The only time he played him was when all the other strikers were injured.  None have us have seen him, not in the first team anyway, since Dean Smith came in. He’s apparently come on a lot over the summer and is now working under a different team of coaches, with a proven record of developing young players. Only time will tell, but hopefully the lad can do well and have a breakout season. 

• Like 2

Pleased he will get a chance I think he is very much like Heskey in that other players love playing with him as he brings them into the game.

Still young and learning and with our coaching staff he will get better and better.

Last year we only had Kod as back up to Tammy so having Kod and Davis as back up to Wez is an improvement.

• Like 1

I would like to have seen him loaned out for a season to go grab some goals and confidence in scoring them. I think it would do wonders for his overall game. However I do also see merit in keeping him around to train with better players than he would have had he gone on loan. I do think though that the plan was to let him go out had we been able to get another CF in but I'm not fussed either way. He's young and Smith has got faith in him so that's good enough for me.

• Like 1

He might not even get much game time at all if Kodjia is seen as second choice to Moraes, and we're lucky with injuries, if we'd have signed our target today then he probably would have gone on loan to championshp club. Still if he gets his chance I think he's well capable of making an impression, I wonder if it would be worth bringing in a striker coach to help with his finishing, help him improve that and we could have a most excellent centre-forward.

22 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Pleased he will get a chance I think he is very much like Heskey in that other players love playing with him as he brings them into the game.

Still young and learning and with our coaching staff he will get better and better.

Last year we only had Kod as back up to Tammy so having Kod and Davis as back up to Wez is an improvement.

Why did Davis not count as back-up last season? He played, he was at the club? 

• Like 1

Â