Keinan Davis

a-k

On 05/04/2021 at 12:57, nick76 said:

Still leaves 3 to 3.5 years to show us but cameos like yesterday are so rare with him.  Let’s assume that’s he’s somewhere in between what you think and I think.  If we are to stay at our level or hopefully step up a level then he’s not going to be good enough is he.  For the good of his career he needs regular first team football and even the most optimistic must know he’s not going to get that here.

I sometimes think I'm watching a different player. His cameo at Fulham for me is his normal cameo.  Everytime he's come on for 10 minutes here and there he's galvanised our forward play for me.  I don't recognise this player people described as his 'usual' which differs to what we saw.  The only difference was his good play actually led to a goal, it doesn't mean his good play hasn't been there before. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I sometimes think I'm watching a different player. His cameo at Fulham for me is his normal cameo.  Everytime he's come on for 10 minutes here and there he's galvanised our forward play for me.  I don't recognise this player people described as his 'usual' which differs to what we saw.  The only difference was his good play actually led to a goal, it doesn't mean his good play hasn't been there before. 

Always interesting to see/hear a different perspective, it’s part of what makes football great how we watch the same game/player and come away with very different views.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nick76 said:

Always interesting to see/hear a different perspective, it’s part of what makes football great how we watch the same game/player and come away with very different views.

I think there are so many different views/perspectives to have, hence we all choose the ones we do.

as an example.......I would choose a top class CDM as my priority signing, but I bet, I would be in the minority.....and I will be amazed, if we do.

16 hours ago, TRO said:

I think there are so many different views/perspectives to have, hence we all choose the ones we do.

as an example.......I would choose a top class CDM as my priority signing, but I bet, I would be in the minority.....and I will be amazed, if we do.

I'm torn. A CDM would hugely improve the first 11 but I think our biggest risk is not having cover for Watkins or the full backs.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I hope we get to see him feature again today against Liverpool and for longer than 10 minutes.

I'd start him if I'm honest, we have been a bit too predictable.

Pool wouldn't be expecting this and we could shellshock them.

4- 4 - 1 - 1 or 4 - 4 - 2

Davis in the supporting pocket.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I'm torn. A CDM would hugely improve the first 11 but I think our biggest risk is not having cover for Watkins or the full backs.

I agree.

but surely Kesler is coming through and could claim one of the full back covering positions and Guilbert hopefully comes back, with a better attitude.....We do need a another striker of a Jermaine Defoe type imo.......and we need to make a decision on the 3 wingers.

I make my choice because, I see Luiz and McGinn further forward, not out of the picture, so they will create competition further forward IMV...they have the guile to do that....I don't think they have the physical presence/ stature to dominate a CDM role.

I think a top CDM would add more balance to the side and I see it having a knock on effect to so many other players......we have offensive players looking over their shoulder so to speak....a top class enforcer, would reassure them, to concentrate forward.

Most attacks start from CDM's they win the ball and start the offensive, they turn the ball over.....they are crucial to every top team......at present, we win it too far back, too deep.

I see the CDM as a conductor in an orchestra, pulling all the strings, dominating midfield and adding the overall leadership to manage a game, he would be the controller, they are not eye candy, but durable individuals, who harbour consistency.......I see it as central to us moving up to higher ground..

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'd start him if I'm honest, we have been a bit too predictable.

Pool wouldn't be expecting this and we could shellshock them.

4- 4 - 1 - 1 or 4 - 4 - 2

Davis in the supporting pocket.

or 4-3-1-2....a version of 4-3-3.

Edited by TRO

Simply bizarre to me he gets 0 minutes today to build on his promising cameo 6 days ago.

Can we please have a striker in our squad next season DS actually trusts to bring on every single game?!

Think Davis has been unused sub this season on 7-8 occasions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

If anybody thinks Davis has a future at this club they are now fooling themselves.

He doesnt even get on after the 15 minute performance last game and instead El Ghazi and Barkley are ahead of him.  Barkley is a joke but he got minutes over Davis.

Even I was shouting for Davis to come on and instead we had Barkley who was useless and uninterested, El Ghazi who was poor last game and Ramsey on before Davis.  I'm shocked he didnt come on today.

Davis Villa career seems to be coming to a close whether some fans like it or not. 

As much as it pains me to say it, I think I have to agree with you.

I still think he has great potential as a striker but he's not going to be able to get to it with us. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

As much as it pains me to say it, I think I have to agree with you.

I still think he has great potential as a striker but he's not going to be able to get to it with us. 

I'm arguably Davis' biggest critic on this website but even against Newcastle and today against Liverpool I would brought Davis on, even started him today but Dean hasnt.  That says to me, he has a worse opinion of Davis than me, which doesnt bode well for Davis' future at this club

I think he'll be gone in the summer now, it was crying out for him today and yet Barkley and  El Ghazi got the nod.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TRO said:

I agree.

but surely Kesler is coming through and could claim one of the full back covering positions and Guilbert hopefully comes back, with a better attitude.....We do need a another striker of a Jermaine Defoe type imo.......and we need to make a decision on the 3 wingers.

I make my choice because, I see Luiz and McGinn further forward, not out of the picture, so they will create competition further forward IMV...they have the guile to do that....I don't think they have the physical presence/ stature to dominate a CDM role.

I think a top CDM would add more balance to the side and I see it having a knock on effect to so many other players......we have offensive players looking over their shoulder so to speak....a top class enforcer, would reassure them, to concentrate forward.

Most attacks start from CDM's they win the ball and start the offensive, they turn the ball over.....they are crucial to every top team......at present, we win it too far back, too deep.

I see the CDM as a conductor in an orchestra, pulling all the strings, dominating midfield and adding the overall leadership to manage a game, he would be the controller, they are not eye candy, but durable individuals, who harbour consistency.......I see it as central to us moving up to higher ground..

Completely agree. We are making do with luiz in this position.  I think he does brilliantly at taking the ball with his back to everyone else but doesnt have the steel to win and turnover the ball.

I'm not a fan of a big lump in these positions, I really liked when Petrov started to play there.

Anyway, back to Kienan. Probably not the striker to support Watkins.

Barkley didn't deserve to come on. Smith said that Trez deserved a start after his goals against Fulham yet Davis who also changed the game doesn't get any reward for his efforts? Very strange from Smith especially as we needed someone with some physical strength willing to carry the ball forward more than two yards! Something our pathetic midfield struggled to do!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, birdman said:

Barkley didn't deserve to come on. Smith said that Trez deserved a start after his goals against Fulham yet Davis who also changed the game doesn't get any reward for his efforts? Very strange from Smith especially as we needed someone with some physical strength willing to carry the ball forward more than two yards! Something our pathetic midfield struggled to do!

I was quite bemused at that, but not entirely surprised.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Completely agree. We are making do with luiz in this position.  I think he does brilliantly at taking the ball with his back to everyone else but doesnt have the steel to win and turnover the ball.

I'm not a fan of a big lump in these positions, I really liked when Petrov started to play there.

Anyway, back to Kienan. Probably not the striker to support Watkins.

I can name many in that role, even Rice and Soucek who are not big lumps....Ndidi, Bissouma are not....Yaya Toure in his pomp was unplayable, but despite his stature, I would not call him a big lump.

Michael Essien and Michael Ballack, Segio Busquets  were powerful midfielders, without attracting the label....

Its a position you need to win the ball and turn it over and not be brushed aside too easily, slightly less physical players like Makalele and Kante, do it well, but players of that Stature, need to be blessed with other attributes to compensate......I think its very hard to play that role without the help of muscle, but for sure, there are always examples to call upon.

Give me a good big 'un over a good little 'un any day......but I guess Best, Maradona and Messi are exceptions too, but we are talking different positions, there.

Â