Keinan Davis

a-k

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

It's a shame we have Liverpool and City next, as I think had we had slightly easier games, there's a chance he gets a start. 

I'd still be up for seeing it but I can see why we'd try and be more defensive in the next two games. 

Yeah for Liverpool I think it will just be (hopefully) Jack back and Ollie and Trez as the front 3. Davis could get a start though if Jack still is out as wide forward or something.

I'd actually start him v Man. City whoever is fit. I remember when he came on for last 15 minutes in the cup final he held it up nicely and won a few free kicks which got us up the pitch and gave us the strong finish where Man. City were just booting the ball anywhere at the end. Feels a bit with just Ollie up there he'll be running around aimlessly as Man. City just pass it around him and will struggle to get into things.

It's frustrating watching Davis yesterday as you just think why on earth he hasn't gone out on loan at any stage in last two years. Surely dropping down a level and getting 10-15 starts in a row would push him on more than the ten minutes here and there he gets here? Just find our use of him really odd ever since we came up, likes of Preston and Derby been seriously interested in that period so not like no-one wants him.

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

But Woods has 82 goals in 202 appearances in the last five years. 

Could he do that here?  He’s no more mobile than a crocked Wesley not saying he’s poor but the build up to Burnley’s play is different to ours actually Burnley don’t have build up play they just win via jammy goals and corners.

21 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Could he do that here?  He’s no more mobile than a crocked Wesley not saying he’s poor but the build up to Burnley’s play is different to ours actually Burnley don’t have build up play they just win via jammy goals and corners.

But people were comparing Wood (not in style) to Davis but my point was that while Davis might have more pace and some tricks, there is no comparison with Wood. Wood has 82 goals in 202 appearances in the last six years with Leeds and Burnley, they are not in any way comparable in style and definitely not in goals.  Davis will never be a goal in every 2.5 game striker, I’d be surprised if he ever came close to a 1 in 5 at this level.

I wasn’t giving my opinion on Wood and whether he could do that here.  To be honest as a back up striker and giving us an option I would much prefer Wood over Davis both for the goals and for giving us a tactical alternative.  As you say if we ever used him we would have to change how we deliver to the striker but this is just a hypothetical question anyway.

Edited by nick76

Interestingly, yesterday’s minutes finally took Davis over 90 for the season. Quite incredible, the scraps this guy has to live off. The first week of April and he has had the equivalent of ONE game to show his worth. Not an easy gig.

Also interesting – the two occasions when Davis has played more than 15 mins, we have turned a draw into a win (Sheff Utd: H) and a loss into a win (Fulham: H). How he only got one minute in nine games when the team was really struggling is beyond me.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Player comes on and makes a big impact.

Quick, let’s send him out on loan! 

VT logic 🤔

Yeah because loan decisions are made based on 15 minutes of football

stupid lloyd bridges GIF

Edited by nick76

8 minutes ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

Interestingly, yesterday’s minutes finally took Davis over 90 for the season. Quite incredible, the scraps this guy has to live off. The first week of April and he has had the equivalent of ONE game to show his worth. Not an easy gig.

Also interesting – the two occasions when Davis has played more than 15 mins, we have turned a draw into a win (Sheff Utd: H) and a loss into a win (Fulham: H). How he only got one minute in nine games when the team was really struggling is beyond me.  

When was this?

15 minutes ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

How he only got one minute in nine games when the team was really struggling is beyond me.  

Assuming Dean isn’t being vindictive and holding him back then the answer speaks for itself especially as other poor players have been given material time.

7 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Granted, I only had the game on in the background and didn't pay that much attention. 

But has Davies been that good to change the perception of majority on here who (myself included) considered him to be a very poor footballer?

Especially considering he played 20mins against Fulham?

you can only go by, what he did.....and it was impressive play.

It doesn't change, his past games....but we are talking about this one.

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Assuming Dean isn’t being vindictive and holding him back then the answer speaks for itself especially as other poor players have been given material time.

If decisions about team selection and substitutions always “spoke for themselves” then VillaTalk would be a very quiet place, wouldn’t it? My point was that I believe Keinan’s capacity to alter the course of games may have been under-appreciated and under-used (yes, even by those making the calls).

I’ll say this much, Nick. Over the course of our good-natured disagreements over Keinan Davis, you have subliminally managed to convince me that Brian Little really doesn’t rate him!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah for Liverpool I think it will just be (hopefully) Jack back and Ollie and Trez as the front 3. Davis could get a start though if Jack still is out as wide forward or something.

I'd actually start him v Man. City whoever is fit. I remember when he came on for last 15 minutes in the cup final he held it up nicely and won a few free kicks which got us up the pitch and gave us the strong finish where Man. City were just booting the ball anywhere at the end. Feels a bit with just Ollie up there he'll be running around aimlessly as Man. City just pass it around him and will struggle to get into things.

It's frustrating watching Davis yesterday as you just think why on earth he hasn't gone out on loan at any stage in last two years. Surely dropping down a level and getting 10-15 starts in a row would push him on more than the ten minutes here and there he gets here? Just find our use of him really odd ever since we came up, likes of Preston and Derby been seriously interested in that period so not like no-one wants him.

Do you remember Marlon Harewoods over head bicycle kick that scored the equaliser at Anfield, wonder if KD can muster one of them?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

Do you remember Marlon Harewoods over head bicycle kick that scored the equaliser at Anfield, wonder if KD can muster one of them?

Bet the farm on it TRO, the boy is on fire. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

If decisions about team selection and substitutions always “spoke for themselves” then VillaTalk would be a very quiet place, wouldn’t it? My point was that I believe Keinan’s capacity to alter the course of games may have been under-appreciated and under-used (yes, even by those making the calls).

I’ll say this much, Nick. Over the course of our good-natured disagreements over Keinan Davis, you have subliminally managed to convince me that Brian Little really doesn’t rate him!

I’ll leave the first paragraph because we don’t agree but that’s fine.

Second paragraph - I assume you mean Dean Smith, but yes I don’t think Smith sees enough from Davis in training to warrant more time and given Dean isn’t going anywhere means Davis isn’t going to get time that he and some on here want.

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Great cameo yesterday. Still think a loan to the Championship would do him the world of good.

I think performances like that, for us, would do him/us more good, of I'm honest.

Â