Steven Hollis

Villan4Life

Well in his own words he promised  " not to be Randy Lerners puppet"  - it now looks very much like he is. His position is untenable. Whatever he does Randy can just undermine him at will.

Will he resign today ? not sure - but he isn't here long term -Id be pretty certain of that.

I wouldn't' be surprised if he quit.

If those resignation letters were sent to him privately, which I imagine they were as I can't see Bernstein or King leaking them to the press, then it means Hollis must have leaked them.

The only reason I can think of why he would do that is if he was trying to show everyone why he was about to quit.

i.e. "Look, it's not my fault. It's the guy above me still trying to pull the strings"

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Cant see why hollis would quit, this is all just business and a business man is he. 

Same reason they've quit. Lerner said Hollis was running the club. And he's not.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Same reason they've quit. Lerner said Hollis was running the club. And he's not.

I don't think his remit has changed, so I don't think he'll quit (unless it becomes clear he can't do his job at all). His job to is to run the club on Lerner's behalf, and work within the budget he's given to keep it going and help sell it for Lerner.

Bernstein and King have gone IMO due to financial restraint ultimately. They've wanted to do things that have required cash Lerner won't sanction IMO, and have refused to compromise so booked it out of here. That doesn't change Hollis' position, although obviously makes his job more awkward. So I suspect he'll just carry on as before.

For him to quit, Lerner would have to take direct action in things (which I doubt he will, everything he's done recently suggests he doesn't want anything to do with the club anymore) which undermines Hollis, or if Lerner just completely cuts the club off in all facets, meaning no interaction with Hollis and the money turned off wholesale. I don't think either of those will happen, so I don't think Hollis leaves. He could become a fall guy if the wheels fall off even more I guess also.

I think it was telling that there was no mention of trying to recover the football board.  Hollis tried, he found some good people, but everything has fallen apart because Lerner would not back them on 'something' and has probably made clear he wants out - which comes through in King's letter.  I reckon Hollis will now be focused 100% on trying to find a new owner at the reduced price. I wish him well. I really don't see how they can attract a decent manager before this is resolved.

Let me be upbeat....

Best case scenario - Lerner has said to Hollis - "find me a buyer, get me the best price you can". 

Anybody know the new company that has been tasked with selling us ?

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

Let me be upbeat....

Best case scenario - Lerner has said to Hollis - "find me a buyer, get me the best price you can". 

"It can also be revealed that Lerner has dropped Bank of America Merrill Lynch, who were tasked with finding a buyer when the club was officially put up for sale in May 2014, and are now using law firm Squire Patton Boggs" Telegraph today

17 minutes ago, hippo said:

Let me be upbeat....

That's what I think has happened , he just wants out so rebuild , no new direction just out the problem is if no buyer is found ASAP we will go into next season already trying to not go down again

1 minute ago, Nabby said:

That's what I think has happened , he just wants out so rebuild , no new direction just out the problem is if no buyer is found ASAP we will go into next season already trying to not go down again

We still look expensive at £75m - I think around £40m is a fair price.....

18 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

"It can also be revealed that Lerner has dropped Bank of America Merrill Lynch, who were tasked with finding a buyer when the club was officially put up for sale in May 2014, and are now using law firm Squire Patton Boggs" Telegraph today

I still don't get what difference the bank makes, surely any serious investors could get info themselves if they were interested?

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I wouldn't' be surprised if he quit.

If those resignation letters were sent to him privately, which I imagine they were as I can't see Bernstein or King leaking them to the press, then it means Hollis must have leaked them.

The only reason I can think of why he would do that is if he was trying to show everyone why he was about to quit.

i.e. "Look, it's not my fault. It's the guy above me still trying to pull the strings"

I disagree that Hollis would have been the one leaking the letters, though it does seem like he wouldn't have been surprised at the news. The letters were written for the fans to read, especially King's. The contempt of King's letter was incredible. 

I think Hollis stays until the club is sold. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I still don't get what difference the bank makes, surely any serious investors could get info themselves if they were interested?

Don't really know either, was just answering hippo's question. 'Anybody know the new company that has been tasked with selling us?'  They are a pretty big global law firm with 45 offices across 21 countries - guess they may have connections to potential buyers or could be helping to structure the deal, all guesswork on my part.

Ha Squire Patton Boggs, I did some work for them ages ago. 

Anyhoo. No way on McGrath's green earth did Hollis leak those letters. I'm starting to think that Bernstein and King organised the Pat Murphy - David Moyes is interested but wants assurances on budget story the day before to prepare the ground and show they had done some work towards implementing their ideas. Then once they'd pushed the issue and Lerner didn't want to know, they resigned.

Hollis would have played a part in bringing those two in, so it's clear what is happening behind the scenes at Villa is to say the least a bit complicated and dramatic, but if Hollis agrees with King that the only way forward is a change at the top and he is in talks to sell. Then I don't see him resigning.

• Like 2

I think Hollis getting away scott free in this is a little premature. He took on Bernstein and King so must have made some false promises. I'm sure when they took the job on, ( they were interviewed by Holllis) they would have asked for some control. It sounds to me like Hollis has gone back on those promises.

In the end Lerner is now a silent owner and has left Hollis to run the show. I can imagine funds were required, but Hollis would not release them, though i'm not protecting Lerner in this fiasco.

12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I think Hollis getting away scott free in this is a little premature. He took on Bernstein and King so must have made some false promises. I'm sure when they took the job on, ( they were interviewed by Holllis) they would have asked for some control. It sounds to me like Hollis has gone back on those promises.

Kings resignation letter doesn't suggest that this was Hollis fault. He specifically states that following communication with the owner (Lerner) and the football board it is with great sorrow that he will be tendering his resignation and that he is sure he (Hollis) will understand.

I would not be surprised if Hollis has been dismayed to find that he was supposedly now running the club, he brings in Bernstein, King and Little to form a football board and within weeks, following direct communication with Lerner and the football board, two thirds of that board resign.

Edited by markavfc40

Let's face it, the notion of hiring Hollis to run the club in lieu of Randy Lerner because Lerner knows nothing about running a club; and Hollis hiring some guys to advise him on the "football side" of things because he knows nothing about that, was always doomed. All those guys bouncing around running the club but not really running it.

Â