Steven Hollis

Villan4Life

I haven't really been on this thread for a while, when did we jump from Hollis not sanctioning signings in January and getting us relegated, to we quite like him now.

What swayed opinion so greatly in recent weeks? 

44 minutes ago, jon_c said:

I haven't really been on this thread for a while, when did we jump from Hollis not sanctioning signings in January and getting us relegated, to we quite like him now.

What swayed opinion so greatly in recent weeks? 

I think it's moved on again from liking him to thinking he's an idiot for allowing a dodgy owner to take over the club. 

1 minute ago, StanBalaban said:

If he ever wants another job at his level, he'll need to have done a good job in this sale.

Would imagine he isn't bothered, he's said himself he has no interest in football so will go back to a job in the coporate world. 

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Would imagine he isn't bothered, he's said himself he has no interest in football so will go back to a job in the coporate world. 

That's what I mean VC. This is a high profile gig for a numbers man. If he's ever going to have a trust of the corporate world again, he'll need to have done a good job here.

6 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

That's what I mean VC. This is a high profile gig for a numbers man. If he's ever going to have a trust of the corporate world again, he'll need to have done a good job here.

Not sure, the world of football is completely different from most practices and businesses. You see that in some of the stuff players get away with in terms of general performance and resistance to authority.

That said Hollis was clearly appointed by Lerner to move along the sale process so he has done that and I just can't believe he'd have sold to a group of chancers given his vast experience in the financial sector. He can surely spot a bogus individual from a mile off.

That's why I'm not too concerned. A few odd things cropping up about the Dr but think it will only be little issues. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Not sure, the world of football is completely different from most practices and businesses. You see that in some of the stuff players get away with in terms of general performance and resistance to authority.

That said Hollis was clearly appointed by Lerner to move along the sale process so he has done that and I just can't believe he'd have sold to a group of chancers given his vast experience in the financial sector. He can surely spot a bogus individual from a mile off.

That's why I'm not too concerned. A few odd things cropping up about the Dr but think it will only be little issues. 

Not only in the financial sector but in also dealing with the Chinese. He was head of KPMG Middle East, and this region does a shit load of business with China. Here in Dubai, most of the roads and infrastructure projects are completed by China State Construction for instance. He'll know how Chinese companies are structured and the involvement of the Government behind the scenes.

I'd be surprised if Hollis didn't either directly know about Tony Xia, or have access to contacts that could give him the low down on the good doctor.

• Like 3

Very interesting SB. You wonder if Lerner had an inkling of interest on this bid in January/Feb and so given Hollis's background thought he'd be the ideal man to vet this deal.

Of course that would mean Lerner appointing a qualified person in a prominent position so perhaps not. 

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Very interesting SB. You wonder if Lerner had an inkling of interest on this bid in January/Feb and so given Hollis's background thought he'd be the ideal man to vet this deal.

Of course that would mean Lerner appointing a qualified person in a prominent position so perhaps not. 

Quite possibly actually, but you're right in that it relies on Lerner making that appointment, so maybe not.

:D

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Hopefuly. Then I will have a lot less sleepless nights over all this. It would be nice to have general low level positivity at the club for a change? Not since August 2010.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'm not sure. Nothing has changed has it? We're still just awaiting PL/FL approval. 

That would do it!  It would counter the Mail bull that Lerner has already been told that Xia will not pass the financial tests.

3 hours ago, Gary Thomas said:

That would do it!  It would counter the Mail bull that Lerner has already been told that Xia will not pass the financial tests.

If he made a statement every time there was crap from the Mail to counter he would need his own 24 hour news program.  Lets assume he will tell us when there is something to tell, and until then assume everything is ok ? (Or assume everything is rubbish ,whichever suits)

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Supervillan78 said:

Hollis did an excellent job IMO, it's a shame he effectively got sacked for it.

From what very little I actually know about Mr. Hollis I wouldnt be surprised if he was offered a job but turned it down as he knows the limit of his capabilities.... selling a business in the shit was right up his alley..... running an aspiring football club..... well im probably better equipped with all my FM experience.

2 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

Hollis did an excellent job IMO, it's a shame he effectively got sacked for it.

His job was always to sell the club and I'd imagine he got a cut of whatever the club was sold for which was his incentive to ensure the club was sold.

He did his job very well in terms of selling the club and I applaud him for that. Only time will tell if he ensured it went to a buyer that could take us forward and bring us some relative success.

Â