Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

1 minute ago, KHV said:

We desperately need another striker, I'm not convinced Ayew/Mccormack will score enough to get us up. Unlike the majority of fans I have been largely unconvinced by them togwther especially Ayew who I think has been crap so far. 

I think you're massively wrong about Ayew - especially considering he's playing right wing (lol).

• Like 2

I think if they can't find a striker with experience in Championship or Premier League they will get someone from elsewhere in Europe in the last few days of the window. 

At least we don't have to wait long now!  Don't know why but I feel nervous about this striker. We are so close. We just need those one or two attacking signings to make it the perfect transfer window.  Desperately hoping we can pull something out the bag; even if we have to pay a bit more for a Hernandez or a Koja.  Their goals really could make the difference this year.

Edited by Gary Thomas

4 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

At least we don't have to wait long now!  Don't know why but I feel nervous about this striker. We are so close. We just need those one or two attacking signings to make it the perfect transfer window.  Desperately hoping we can pull something out the bag; even if we have to pay a bit more for a Hernandez or Jonathan Koja.  Their goals really could make the difference.

I don't understand the clamour for spending big on those players.  It's classic "we're linked with them, so they're great".

I'm fairly confident barely anyone (if, indeed, anyone) on this forum watched much (if any) of Jonathan Kodjia's first and only season in English football and have no idea what type of striker he is - bar watching obligatory YouTube highlight videos.  What makes him so great?

(This isn't aimed at you Gary, but you mentioned them :D)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rubberman said:

Exactly.  Leave it to the experts and those who have a plan in place and know what they need to achieve that.

See Brexit for how well things go when the masses are left to make an important decision.

i would say leave to those who ultimately have to take responsibility for the results and subsequently their job.

Its only fair their final product is derived from Their tools.

17 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don't understand the clamour for spending big on those players.  It's classic "we're linked with them, so they're great".

I'm fairly confident barely anyone (if, indeed, anyone) on this forum watched much (if any) of Jonathan Kodjia's first and only season in English football and have no idea what type of striker he is - bar watching obligatory YouTube highlight videos.  What makes him so great?

(This isn't aimed at you Gary, but you mentioned them :D)

You'd like to think the club has watched more than YouTube videos but as fans we can only really go off of clips and stats in general. We haven't got a striker like Kodija big, mobile and athletic and it's exactly what we need. The same goes for Hernandez. Both would be an improvement on Gestede. Fees this summer are crazy but you have to get them in. I hadn't seen much of any of our signings this summer but all of them have impressed so far and I fully expect DeLaet and Jedinak to improve the team further so if we are linked and actually bid for players im confident they'll be worth the money and improve the team. Had you seen much of the players we've signed so far? 

12 minutes ago, useless said:

That's what I thought you meant by link up striker.

Yeah I probably didn't word it correctly. He's the striker who would play off the shoulder and make those runs to get behind the defence.

I've lost track of the amount of times we've been here before, (needing a decent striker to cap things off) over the years !!

Lets hope we get this one right !

(- I know we have a good one in McCormack but 1 isn't enough.)

Mind you I still think a creative or wide MF is equally important.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I've lost track of the amount of times we've been here before, (needing a decent striker to cap things off) over the years !!

Lets hope we get this one right !

(- I know we have a good one in McCormack but 1 isn't enough.)

Mind you I still think a creative or wide MF is equally important.

I know what you mean, it seems like forever that we have gone into a season feeling like we have the complete squad required to compete. This is Dr Tony's first true test, can he achieve it or will we be left feeling like we are a player or two light come the first of September. I definitly had that feeling last summer when I thought we had left oursleves short up front, and I don't think we have strengthened that area significantly enough just yet.

• Like 1

Just now, NeilS said:

I know what you mean, it seems like forever that we have gone into a season feeling like we have the complete squad required to compete. This is Dr Tony's first true test, can he achieve it or will we be left feeling like we are a player or two light come the first of September. I definitly had that feeling last summer when I thought we had left oursleves short up front, and I don't think we have strengthened that area significantly enough just yet.

That was summed up by the fact that we didnt even allocate the No.10 shirt last season. As yet No.9 is still empty but I have a lot more faith this year that we will fill it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

So who the hell is Stefano Okaka?

Ex Roma and Sampdoria striker, plays in Belgium now.

On his day he's a beast, but those days are pretty far apart from what I remember of him at Sampdoria.

Not the most clinical striker but very athletic, fast and strong.

Edit: Actually think I suggested him last summer.

And here is a vid:

Edited by sne
  • Like 1