The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Just now, troon_villan said:

Right manager at the wrong time perhaps.

Would've been much better appointing someone of his ilk summer 2011 or 2012. 

We'd only had a couple of poor seasons back then, still had some good players in the squad and more importantly a pre season to implement ideas which he really needed rather than being parachuted in halfway through the season as some Big Sam type survival expert which he clearly wasn't,

33 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I personally believe Moyes peak was Everton 6 years ago now. He was on a hiding to nothing at Utd admittedly. You also in my eyes can't count what he did 14 years ago at PNE as any gauge of his suitability. Plus he looks like grounds Keeper Willy from the Simpsons ;) but rather him than Bruce Hughton or Pearson. 

I would be amazed if Moyes was interested in managing a championship club, his stock isn't that low yet surely?

Then again I remember when West Ham went down in 2011 they went straight out and got Big Sam in who could easily have got another prem job had he waited longer....maybe even here you could argue as it was McLeish summer.

So maybe Moyes would take a more long term view in rebuilding us like he did Everton.

I would be very surprised though, he has rejected us before during the Lerner era.

So he gets a free pass and you'll only judge him once he has 11 of his own players. 

The generosity towards this manager from some fans is amazing. 

Even fuckface Sherwood was given more time and transfers than Garde.

I guess we'll be watching him in the Champions League with Porto, Roma, Leverkusen or some other mid level European club in a year or two. Shame

• Like 2

Based on his post Swansea match interview and judging from his demeanour I'd say he knows he is going at some point and probably can't wait to be off but is rightly sticking around to get his pay off. I believe up until last week he did care but not anymore and I don't blame him. He has the look of the last 5 years worth of managers: utterly defeated.

Things haven't gone well here, yes he has made mistakes and relied on players who don't care instead of dropping them but he has also been let down big time by gutless players who don't give one solitary **** between them and a cowardly board/owner who strung him out to dry as history repeats itself yet again as we embark on another search for another Lerner/players future scapegoat.

• Like 1

The next manager, if we go down this line, is absolutely critical.  The club should use this window to do everything they can to select and then entice the right man. It cannot be overstated how important this decision - it will determine the kind of squad we build, how we play and our future performances.   To me this is the first real test for our 'new' board.  I hope they are searching for someone to be in place for at least 3-4 years who will be given the backing to build a new squad that can get us out of the championship 'and' be competitive in the premier league when we return.  A talented and hungry manager with something to prove please.

For me I've said since January people giving him a Free Pass were premature as were those calling for his head.  Whilst it makes sense to have 'stability' Managers must, surely, ultimately be judged on results. And by that I don't just mean actual results of Matches but also overall performance quality, morale, spirit, motivation, desire, organisation, imagination, inspiration, and all the rest.

I thought it fair to give the guy a run until the end of March, then, if he had been at least okay, consider him for the Championship (but still weigh him against other options).  If we were not doing okay, then get shot and if at all possible get a new guy in place -  whether openly or not - so the players can be assessed (and found out !) in a competitive environment rather than pre -season. 

To those that say there would be no point getting a new guy early that is my response - we surely would prefer someone to see these players up close and for real rather than in the Summer !!?

In my view its about the right time to say Garde has NOT had a positive impact on any of the factors I describe  - and his results have been absolutely catastrophic.

We are Down, he cannot possibly hope to have as good a chance building those factors (which will certainly be with at least half the same players) as a new guy.

Along with the Board changes it is now most definitely the time to remove him.  Hopefully we get the new guy in in time to watch how the players then perform and train in the last 6 weeks of the season.  With what is widely known anyway, this close up view will help.

As for who, I think we all know whoever it is will be slated by some fans, and will be slated by most fans if they fail to get going well next year, and I think we all need to be a bit less clever and picky about who we have. Grayson, Bruce, Moyes, Rodgers,Pearson, etc....they all have plusses and minuses.  We just have to hope whoever it is works well with the new set up.

My guess is they will try and combine Championship experience with someone to be around to build the Club, Moyes and Grayson being the most likely.

But get it done guys, times up !

• Like 3

Just now, Mantis said:

"Hull boss Steve Bruce is also on the short-list, but as a former manager of arch-rivals Birmingham City, the club’s hierarchy are mindful that his appointment could further alienate already angry fans."

What they don't seem to realise is that it would alienate some fans because Bruce isn't a very good manager, not because he used to manage SHA.

Have to agree with you there.

10 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

The next manager, if we go down this line, is absolutely critical.  The club should use this window to do everything they can to select and then entice the right man. It cannot be overstated how important this decision - it will determine the kind of squad we build, how we play and our future performances.   To me this is the first real test for our 'new' board.  I hope they are searching for someone to be in place for at least 3-4 years who will be given the backing to build a new squad that can get us out of the championship 'and' be competitive in the premier league when we return.  A talented and hungry manager with something to prove please.

Wouldn't you rather someone who had ALREADY proven something ?   We can't keep being a test bed for people.

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

"Hull boss Steve Bruce is also on the short-list, but as a former manager of arch-rivals Birmingham City, the club’s hierarchy are mindful that his appointment could further alienate already angry fans."

What they don't seem to realise is that it would alienate some fans because Bruce isn't a very good manager, not because he used to manage SHA.

Steve Bruce has 3 promotions from that league, maybe 4 in two months time.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'm not certain but wasn't only one in the last 10 years ?.....I'm not sure what he did there a long while back is all that relevant now, it has changed as much as Premier League has.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I'm not certain but wasn't only one in the last 10 years ?.....I'm not sure what he did there a long while back is all that relevant now, it has changed as much as Premier League has.

Probably.

In his defence he's been managing on merit in the premier league for most of the last 10 years.

And 2 relegations along with a couple of sackings. Not exactly a world beater.

Â