The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

The players only seem to be able to turn up for Garde 1 in 4 matches, 99% of the time as soon as we concede a goal we give up but that mentality is very little to do with Garde, what are the players fighting for anymore? Many weren't happy Sherwood was sacked, most have watched the club throw in the towel and not strengthen or even try to bolster the squad in January. Our biggest characters and talents have left or been injured or mishandled.

The players are just killing time until their next lucrative move, none of them will lose out, we are such a joke of a club that some people (not the fans) feel sorry for the players rather than blame them.

I agree with those who say our squad is not as pitiful as people make out, if all players had been fit and not badly mishandled between two managers there was enough talent there to keep us up.

;;;;;;;

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You imagine that, doesn't make it right. His knowledge of the French league is likely strong, but he hasn't signed a single player yet so it's all supposition.

In fact, Debuchy aside (a short term loan) the other two players we know for a FACT he wanted in January are both African. One of them moved from Roma. Just like Ayew and Gana are African.

Maybe we should be worried we'd sign all African players. Though that sounds a bit racist as opposed to just xenophobic.

If you think my post was xenophobic then you need to read it again 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

We'll i F@@@@king remember

Because it was a great weekend in the smoke , the odds against us -  he got us out of trouble last year like it or not. The team played for him! 

We are no better with Garde than we would have been under Sherwood . 

Why would I 'not like it' that he saved us last year? Yes, the team played for him in the semi-final. Unfortunately, they didn't turn up in the final - which, I'm sorry, matters more at the end of the day - or at all for him this season. 

The last sentence is fair, that's your opinion. 

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Nobody remembers the semi-finals. We're not going to go down in posterity just because we played well in the semi-final. 

As for 'where are we now in the table', we're 20th and adrift, exactly where Sherwood left us. 

Not exactly. We were bottom and 4 points adrift and now we're bottom and 8 points adrift. 

In Garde's 16 premier league matches with Villa he has lost ground against all our rivals - none of whom are anything to write home about - and Villa have the worst record over that period of any club in the premier league.

Here's how he has done compared with other bottom 6 clubs since he joined:

Bnmth W5 D5 L6 18F-A22 Pts20
Ncstle W5 D3 L8 15F-A27 Pts18
Sland W5 D2 L9 21F-A31 Pts17
Nrwch W4 D3 L9 16F-A31 Pts15
Swsea W3 D5 L8 12F-A22 Pts14
A Villa W2 D6 L8 11F-A29 Pts12

You can perhaps understand why some people are not over the moon about his regime so far and wonder if we are really any better off than we would have been had Sherwood stayed.

Edited by briny_ear
Clarification of stats.
  • Like 2

It's not as black-and-white as just looking at the league table is it?

Confidence, atmosphere and belief are things not quantifiable and they have all deteriorated as the season has progressed. I don't think Garde can take more than a fraction of the blame for that being the case. Add into the mixer the lack of backing he received in the window (i.e. none-existent - Newcastle, Sunderland, Norwich, Bournemouth and Swansea all strengthened heavily) and the further impact that will have on confidence, atmosphere and belief, and it's very harsh to be saying that Garde is not doing a better job than Sherwood - especially given we have got more points!

Also, what's with comparing it to Sherwood last season? We weren't in the absolute mire when Sherwood took over and Sherwood also had this big lad up front called Benteke and this other lad in the middle called Delph who are better than all of our current squad put together (which Sherwood also helped build).

Garde is not blameless, but if you're not seeing as improvement on earlier in the season then I don't know what you've been watching.

48 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

If you think my post was xenophobic then you need to read it again 

It reads the same second time around. Because Remi is French he will fill the team with French players. That's a problem because the next manager might want English players, or Spanish players.

Maybe you're accusing him of xenophobia then? Either way it's a really odd thing to say. Most managers want "good" players to fit their chosen system, nationality rarely comes into it. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

4 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

It's not as black-and-white as just looking at the league table is it?

Confidence, atmosphere and belief are things not quantifiable and they have all deteriorated as the season has progressed. I don't think Garde can take more than a fraction of the blame for that being the case. Add into the mixer the lack of backing he received in the window (i.e. none-existent - Newcastle, Sunderland, Norwich, Bournemouth and Swansea all strengthened heavily) and the further impact that will have on confidence, atmosphere and belief, and it's very harsh to be saying that Garde is not doing a better job than Sherwood - especially given we have got more points!

Also, what's with comparing it to Sherwood last season? We weren't in the absolute mire when Sherwood took over and Sherwood also had this big lad up front called Benteke and this other lad in the middle called Delph who are better than all of our current squad put together (which Sherwood also helped build).

Garde is not blameless, but if you're not seeing as improvement on earlier in the season then I don't know what you've been watching.

Last thing I was watching was the home match against Liverpool.

If you believe that was an improvement on earlier in the season, I can't really think of anything to say.

Edited by briny_ear
Sp.
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Last thing I was watching was the home match against Liverpool.

If you believe that was an improvement on earlier in the season, I can't raelly think of anything to say.

8 points from 5 games prior. You don't just base your entire perception of improvement on the latest result, no matter how bad.

Look at how many managers we've been through and look at where it's got us - worse and worse. A lack of stability has clearly hindered us. Garde has very conservatively worked out a way to gradually polish turds but at times they're just going to crumble in his hands because their too soft.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

8 points from 5 games prior. You don't just base your entire perception of improvement on the latest result, no matter how bad.

Look at how many managers we've been through and look at where it's got us - worse and worse. A lack of stability has clearly hindered us. Garde has very conservatively worked out a way to gradually polish turds but at times they're just going to crumble in his hands because their too soft.

Come on though !  What about the 5 before that!!!! ....

. I'm neither For or Against the guy but even those in clear favour can't really say a lot about his Points record

18 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It reads the same second time around. Because Remi is French he will fill the team with French players. That's a problem because the next manager might want English players, or Spanish players.

Maybe you're accusing him of xenophobia then? Either way it's a really odd thing to say. Most managers want "good" players to fit their chosen system, nationality rarely comes into it. 

Then respectfully your not as smart as i give you credit for and I'll leave you to it ... 

P.s I already know your seat number so you don't need to swing your dick and post it for me :)

5 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Garde is a manager, Sherwood was a wannabe manager

Garde hasnt set us up any better defensively than Sherwood and we are scoring less goals as well, at times we arent even creating chances from play

• Like 1

Then respectfully your not as smart as i give you credit for and I'll leave you to it ... 

P.s I already know your seat number so you don't need to swing your dick and post it for me [emoji4]

That's a cop out. Disappointing.

You'd need a bloody large monitor, to be fair.

I feel sorry for Garde,what has he had to work with ?

Our best players have been sold and not replaced over the last 5 years ( Milner,Young,Collins,Benteke,Delph etc ) and all he is left with is the chaff.He has got what he has left with playing as a team ( though now and then they lapse back into a coma ) and he has absoutely no backing from the board at all,FFS Im suprised he is still here.

Â