The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

4 minutes ago, mwj said:

Sounds great Arrigo Sacchi, show me a lineup (of players that were available yesterday) that does that.

It's not necessarily a 'line up' it's simply tactics, getting more bodies forward, playing more directly with Gabby off the shoulder of the centre halves, showing more ambition, getting more midfielders in the box when we have the ball wide, rather than having so many sitting deep...

But go ahead and peddle excuses for utterly appalling performances.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

It's not necessarily a 'line up' it's simply tactics, getting more bodies forward, playing more directly with Gabby off the shoulder of the centre halves, showing more ambition, getting more midfielders in the box when we have the ball wide, rather than having so many sitting deep...

But go ahead and peddle excuses for utterly appalling performances.

Sure, "it's just the vibe of the thing", he should have just told them to play better, right? This manager lark is simples

Just now, mwj said:

Sure, "it's just the vibe of the thing", he should have just told them to play better, right? This manager lark is simples

Total unmitigated nonsense. It's about coaching and tactics on the training pitch, it's clear that he instills a cautious, conservative, possession based style rather than direct football where players commit into the box when on the counter. The former clearly isn't delivering.

8 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

No one in their right would suggest that ability wise we are anywhere near as good as Liverpool. In fact ability wise we are worse than 80% of the sides in this league. We didn't lose yesterday though just due to a lack of ability we lost due to a lack of desire. We didn't want it, we didn't fancy it and it was like we were going through the motions and had accepted we would lose before the game kicked off.

I still maintain that despite this being a poor squad it isn't any worse than Norwich, Bournemouth, Sunderland, West Brom etc. It isn't 16 points from 26 games bad. The reason we have been that poor isn't simply down to a lack of ability it is down to poor management in how we have been set up and approached games and down to an all too frequent lack of desire not from just one or two individuals but from pretty much the whole squad.

It seems to me we have a squad of players that are either seeing us as an easy pay day or came in with the attitude of seeing us a stepping stone to better things. A number of them can’t wait to be out of here over the summer or know that the club will want rid of them. We will be battered a few more times before this season is over as the players will now just go through the motions as they did yesterday.

I think your third paragraph is the most apt.

desire for me is the main ingredient missing, but should seasoned professionals rely on a manager for that?

We was not as good as Liverpool when we done them at Wembley.....and we wasn't as good as Liverpool going in to the famous victory of 5-1 December 1978 (I think)

you are right Mark this team lack desire and fight.

Ps I have been extremely close to players of the past and I can tell you, they did not rely on the manager for their desire.

• Like 1

Total unmitigated nonsense. It's about coaching and tactics on the training pitch, it's clear that he instills a cautious, conservative, possession based style rather than direct football where players commit into the box when on the counter. The former clearly isn't delivering.

Right, so show me a line up and formation that you would coach to be "more attacking" and that would perform a great escape, and that you would stake your professional reputation on as a manager?

It's easy to sit here on a forum and spout shit like "be more attacking" but what exactly does that mean?

For mine, Remi has got it nearly right recently. I would keep the same conservative approach and formation (4-4-1-1), but Westwood would have been gone a long time ago, Richards gone for Bacuna at RB, Veretout for Gil at AM and Lyden getting a run in CM.

27 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I like Remi Garde, I think he has tons of potential. 

But I'm leaning towards thinking he's not right for this situation regardless. Unless they are going to rip up the squad in the summer and sell the fecking lot and let him build his own team. 

The problem with that ( though not unique to Remi) is that I'd imagine he will fill it mainly with French players  ... If after all that overhaul Remi is still under performing and gets the sack the next manager comes in and may want a more different approach , more English or Spanish for arguments sake and we are left with a squad tailored for a manger that has departed 

so it's kinda dangerous in that regard to let Remi or any manager get complete autonomy on a squad ... And not just at villa but that's the one that matters as far as we are concerned 

Saints have their system for example where players fit the club rather than the manager so maybe that's the model to copy ... I don't think that's what we tried this summer , I think we just went off with some hair brained plan without thinking it through

• Like 1

Mentally speaking i think the manager and players are shot! If they are around next season and lose the first game,i think it will be weeks, if at all,before they can find a winning mentality,basically right now the lot of them are losers!

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

flack x20. 

Whether Garde is good enough is open to debate. But this stuff about Sherwood being a better pick is nonsense. Have people forgotten where we were in the table? 'He'd inspire the players!' Yeah, just like he did in the fricking FA Cup Final

Where are we now in the table?

who got us to the final?

have you forgot the semi final?

• Like 1

The problem with that ( though not unique to Remi) is that I'd imagine he will fill it mainly with French players  ... If after all that overhaul Remi is still under performing and gets the sack the next manager comes in and may want a more different approach , more English or Spanish for arguments sake and we are left with a squad tailored for a manger that has departed 

so it's kinda dangerous in that regard to let Remi or any manager get complete autonomy on a squad ... And not just at villa but that's the one that matters as far as we are concerned 

Saints have their system for example where players fit the club rather than the manager so maybe that's the model to copy ... I don't think that's what we tried this summer , I think we just went off with some hair brained plan without thinking it through

You imagine that, doesn't make it right. His knowledge of the French league is likely strong, but he hasn't signed a single player yet so it's all supposition.

In fact, Debuchy aside (a short term loan) the other two players we know for a FACT he wanted in January are both African. One of them moved from Roma. Just like Ayew and Gana are African.

Maybe we should be worried we'd sign all African players. Though that sounds a bit racist as opposed to just xenophobic.

26 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Where are we now in the table?

who got us to the final?

have you forgot the semi final?

Nobody remembers the semi-finals. We're not going to go down in posterity just because we played well in the semi-final. 

As for 'where are we now in the table', we're 20th and adrift, exactly where Sherwood left us. 

• Like 1

We simply dont have the players with the pace, engine or technical ability to play that style of football.

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I like Remi Garde, I think he has tons of potential. 

But I'm leaning towards thinking he's not right for this situation regardless. Unless they are going to rip up the squad in the summer and sell the fecking lot and let him build his own team. 

Me too and I'd really love to see him do well, the guy comes  over as having a lot of class, reminds me of Brian Little in this respect, however the championship being what it is, makes me wonder if someone who has seen and done it before should be tasked with getting us straight back up, make no mistake mind this will not be a given in my view.

45 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Nobody remembers the semi-finals. We're not going to go down in posterity just because we played well in the semi-final. 

As for 'where are we now in the table', we're 20th and adrift, exactly where Sherwood left us. 

We'll i F@@@@king remember

Because it was a great weekend in the smoke , the odds against us -  he got us out of trouble last year like it or not. The team played for him! 

We are no better with Garde than we would have been under Sherwood . 

• Like 3

Â