The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The draw against Newcastle certainly wasn't down to the failing of the opposition.

Getting back from a losing position wasn't, but Newcastle missed a sitter with a mis-directed header on the line which was our good fortune. I think we were fortunate to get a draw.

That said, we appear to have played most teams at their peak this season, so we have been very unfortunate in this regard. And I do believe our bad luck/poor individual errors has been exploited by our lack of goals. We are not a terrible team, we have had no hammerings this term, and if you remove the catastrophic errors, would at least have a fighting chance at this point to kick on from, but it looks lost now.

Remi as made us a more solid unit, we need to build on the offence now, and quickly.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 2

The draw against Newcastle certainly wasn't down to the failing of the opposition.

Getting back from a losing position wasn't, but Newcastle missed a sitter with a mis-directed header on the line which was our good fortune. I think we were fortunate to get a draw.

We missed a load of chances too. Does that mean we were unlucky not to win?

• Like 2

On 12/21/2015 at 21:01, PompeyVillan said:

Thing is, you don't suddenly start a winning run without showing a bit of solidarity and a few decent performances before hand.

How right that is.

People just want us to flip a switch and start winning and that it's as easy as making overly attacking substitutions or going gung ho. That's almost Sherwood level of naivete and should only be a last resort if we have only like 5-10 games to save ourselves. The fact that Garde is doing it the way that he is taking a more calculated and nuanced approach gives me more confidence in his ability tbh and shows me that he has a bit of nous. Whereas with Sherwood and to a much lesser extent Lambert, you almost were just hoping they would get it right. Mind you, Sherwood himself was hoping too :D .

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We missed a load of chances too. Does that mean we were unlucky not to win?

I remember one decent chance from Gestede. Nothing like the 2/3 they missed. The de Jong miss is one of the worst I've seen this season. 

Thing is, you don't suddenly start a winning run without showing a bit of solidarity and a few decent performances before hand.

How right that is.

Not very. We started winning games from absolutely nowhere last season. We had been terrible for months before that and Sherwood had lost his first two games in charge, including away to Newcastle.

We played ok away to Newcastle and Southampton. The former could have gone either way, we competed. We competed against Man City as well and some HORRENDOUS individual errors let us down against Watford.

The Everton performance was a disgrace, as was the first half against Arsenal. But there have been signs that a win is coming. From there, who knows. I think it's too late but, it's not as though we've shown absolutely nothing. Don't believe the hype.

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Gestede had two good headers that were well saved. Veretout had a very good shot again saved well. Gestede was inches from putting in an Ayew cross. Ayew was inches from laying it on a plate to gestede/Gana (can't remember who) for a tap in after he'd got to the byeline.

They weren't as good as the De Jong chance. But so what? They're still good chances that we missed.

You'd think from this thread that other teams only ever miss chances against Villa. 

Luck is bollocks. The only thing it's good for is using it to suit your own argument. 

The game was 1-1, and on balance it was probably what we deserved from the game.

My point is if you start saying "oh well Newcastle missed a chance that could have won it for them so we're lucky" then you have to apply the same logic to the chances we missed.

I'd say the chances you mentioned for us, aren't usually chances that end in the net. The chances they missed are. I wouldn't say its luck. De Jong being shit is more to do his lack of form than just pure luck. 

Other teams do miss chances but the ones in the 3 games we've drawn have been some truly shocking ones. I think it's a concern than we're only picking up a draw in games where the opposition miss absolute sitters. 

Newcastle result was better for us than it was them, their form indicated an easy win for them and that wasn't the case, we competed well. The West Ham game is against a team who's form is poor. Remi has a plan , certain players are beginning to show their class. The West Ham game more than any before dictates the remainder of the season for us, can we start to fight back?

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

There are probably Newcastle fans posting on GeordieTalk saying they were lucky to get a draw because of the chances we missed in the second half.

TrueGeordie, YouTube Newcastle fan called it an awful game between two shit teams which could have gone either way.

12 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

TrueGeordie, YouTube Newcastle fan called it an awful game between two shit teams which could have gone either way.

I think a draw was a fair result. We were much better than them in the 2nd half. 

34 minutes ago, tinker said:

Newcastle result was better for us than it was them, their form indicated an easy win for them and that wasn't the case, we competed well. The West Ham game is against a team who's form is poor. Remi has a plan , certain players are beginning to show their class. The West Ham game more than any before dictates the remainder of the season for us, can we start to fight back?

that game will depend on how fit Payet is, fit and he'll make minced pies out of our defence!

Edited by villakram

We usually do well against West Ham at home and Sunderland Away 6 points from those two games and were on our way

If this happens, I'll present Match of the Day in just my boxers.

Â