The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

3 points isn't brilliant.

In his defence, he has inherited a shambles. A team whose backbone all left in the summer and are now (or were at the time of Gardes arrival) devoid of any form of confidence or self-belief.

We need 10 wins to survive which is basically top 6 form. A big ask but as others have said, we have two months or so of winnable games. 5 or 6 wins in that period could lift morale and give us the springboard for the scrap at the end of the season.

I personally think we've left it too late but am prepared to give Garde the benefit of the doubt until the end of the season. I don't think any manager in the world would have waltzed in and done any better, given the state of things.

Just now, sexbelowsound said:

Why is it arrogant?

The idea that you (not you) can see something that others aren't capable of is a real arrogance. And then for the person who has blindly criticised Richards before he played a game, to have the nerve to criticise others for choosing not to see positives then takes it to another level. 

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

The idea that you (not you) can see something that others aren't capable of is a real arrogance. And then for the person who has blindly criticised Richards before he played a game, to have the nerve to criticise others for choosing not to see positives then takes it to another level. 

Ignoring who the OP was I do think its possible for people to see things that others can't. Not necessarily in regards to this situation, but if every person saw the same as everyone else we'd all be identical.

I can see why it comes across as arrogance but I just think its reality.

10 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yeah, bring back Tim. Taken Garde half the games to get the same amount of points as Tim, and he's in a harder position.

But let's bring him back. Get it up those slaaaaags.

The new manager bounce!

9 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Ignoring who the OP was I do think its possible for people to see things that others can't. Not necessarily in regards to this situation, but if every person saw the same as everyone else we'd all be identical.

I can see why it comes across as arrogance but I just think its reality.

I can see how people see things differently. But for that person to say that you either can't or choose not to is amazing. 

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The thing is I still dont see the improvements or progress we conceded yet another basic goal, the attacking subs again were non existent against a team who are ropey defensively and against pace

Man to man marking at corners is pretty straight forward. You cannot blame the manager if a defender fails to keep track of the player that he's supposed to be marking, or that our goalkeeper is not very good.

I'm must admit I'm not entirely convinced by this bloke.  I think he missed a massive opportunity yesterday, Seems to be afraid of losing, we really start needing to go for broke especially against the lesser teams

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Much better yesterday. We were in the game from start to finish. The game itself could have swung either way, nice to see us competitive for a change.

Keep it up.

Agreed. Though others may say Newcastle were shite

I thought we did go for it yesterday.

As an away side, we probably needed a 4 man midfield-To have bought Traore would have meant sacrificing Westwood or Gueye.

A lot of these teams above us do not play attacking football-They simply clog up the defence & rely on a counter attack.

I know there is a craving for Traore to get more game time & I am in this corner. We are still finding our best 11 and at 1-1, I think it was right not to bring him on.

3 hours ago, Neil said:

The stem of shit has to be stopped somewhere, and if that starts with a draw at Newcastle then so be it.  Better than a loss.

An inspired better 2nd half performance, if he can turn that into 90 mins then half the battle be won.

Away points at Soton and Newcastle are decent results on their own but mixed in with our spineless home form, ultimately its not good enough

If we had beaten Watford at home then I'd be more confident we could still salvage something.

Next 2 games are huge.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Xela said:

Away points at Soton and Newcastle are decent results on their own but mixed in with our spineless home form, ultimately its not good enough

If we had beaten Watford at home then I'd be more confident we could still salvage something.

Next 2 games are huge.

Not convinced we have the minerals by a long shot, think "this is our year" for all the wrong reasons.

I'm merely pointing out that if we're to turn it around, it will start at some point and a draw at Newcastle could be the beginning.  We just need to see more from the 2nd half in 90mins of upcoming games.

• Like 1

I think we really went for the win in the second half, and when injury time hit we decided to shut up shop rather than lose via a stupid counter-attack. I have no problem with that.

Yes I would've loved us to have thrown Adama on and yes I would've loved us to have won the game, however I don't think those two things would've worked together. The conditions wouldn't have let Adama run wild, in fact he might've even got himself an injury trying to sprint through that awful pitch. 

A point away to Newcastle, who have been unlucky themselves this season, is fine by me. We need wins but we won't win every match and in turn I'd rather we not lose the ones we don't win. Don't think Garde did anything wrong yesterday, in fact bringing on Gestede changed the game completely.

I think Garde let the fans down yesterday you could see for example Veretout was struggling and instead of mixing it up and bringing on a flair player and go for the win we sat back knowing  the results yesterday. That suggests to me he think swe are down but just trying to get the losing menatlity out of the loser type players in the squad. 

A concern for me is that for the 3 points we've got we've relied on the opposition missing some absolute sitters. De bruyne, de Jong and the 3/4 Southampton chances are truly terrible misses that don't usually happen. 

I think we've been quite fortunate to get 3 points out of 6 games. 

• Like 1

Â