The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Only saw the second half but to me that was arguably our best half of football of the season, we actually looked a threat going forward.

His team selections are conservative though, it's like he's of the mindset we're 10 points clear of the bottom 3 so we need to be solid and grind out draws whereas we desperately need wins so sooner or later he'll have to go for it as plucky draws like today won't be enough in the long run.

Newcastle have a squad with more quality and better balance than we do. They have a more experienced manager, had a couple of good results behind them, and were at home. Perhaps over the 90 minutes they edged it, but for 25-30 minutes we murdered them.

One point is less then we wanted, but all things considered it is one more than most expected. I'm not going to blame the manager or the players for not winning. There have been plenty of games this season where they have deserved slagging off, I don't think this is one of them.

• Like 2

It's for the start of the season under Sherwood and his stupid team selections that's put us where we are now, in terms of lack of points against teams we should have done a lot better against and the way it destroyed our confidence.

• Like 1

I think if we had appointed Remi sooner we would have survived, the team definitely has more fight now and we do play some good stuff occasionally, a few 45mins we've battered teams but haven't put the game to bed in that time. But we were/are so far behind it will be a comeback of Lazarus proportions now. If we go down though and by the end of the season are playing well, winning games and looking much stronger, and we keep the core of the team, i could take that. I just don't want them to go down without fighting or with seemingly no visible improvement. We are improving though.

Sorry we are still crawling to relegation!!!!!!! 

No, don't be sorry. You are quite correct. We are troubled.

However, if you believe that we are where we are because of Remi Garde, I will question your judgement.

Hire Mourinho tomorrow, we would still be favourites to be relegated.

Even though it's not getting us many points I can understand why Garde has been quite cautious. He walked into a team with confidence at absolute rock bottom and it was obvious that simply "having a go" under Sherwood just simply wasn't working. My thinking is he's trying to slowly build up confidence by grinding out draws which hopefully we can build upon and finish the season strongly. It could be working better obviously but I can see what he's doing and even if we go down (which is very likely) I think we should stick with him - the last thing this club needs is yet another change of management.

We've definitely improved since he arrived, just not as much as many of us would've hoped for.

Edited by Mantis

How many points were we behind when Sherwood left and how many are we behind now?

Why do we start games so poorly under him?

The 3 draws have all been spawny Newcastle missed 3 sitters.

He hasn't won one match, and doesn't look like winning one.

He leaves our best players on the bench.

Wake up, he's a dud who is sleep walking us into The Championship.

The Browns fans in the US warned us when Randy took over about his 'dodgy' appointments, and boy were they right.

Edited by supernova26
  • Like 2

We won a game under Sherwood...

Sorry couldn't resist.

Give Remi the same amount of games and see how many points he gets. He only has to get one more draw from 4 games to be level..

Joking of course. Still unsure of Garde but we'd have been in this position or worse under Sherwood in my opinion.

When I say worse I mean lose every game. Can't get that much worse.

I think it is pointless going on about Sherwood and whether it was his fault or not..... we all have our own views on that.....

However in my view too much of the blame is laid at his door.

He had 28 games, saved us from relegation and got us to a FA Cup Final....28 games. Martin O'Neill & Paul Lambert had 4 &  3 Years respectively and in the formers case a fair bit of money & latitude.

Remi Garde has has 6 games and still no win.....thats not a criticism, just an observation that considering so much was wrong with Tim, according to some.

so,In theory it should all now be right now, but Hold on, some of us too equally believe that some/many of the players are just not good enough for this league, which throws up a different opinion.

I really don't know if Tim would have gone on to turn it around.....judging by the recruitment policy ,I doubt it.....but how fervent opinions can aim so much vitriol at him, surprises me.

I had to chuckle today on sky news when the presenter in discussing the line up, said Remi is searching for his best team though, isn't he.

Naturally,

But when Tim Sherwood was doing the same he was ridiculed by some on here......double standards me thinks.

ps I will be interested to see the state of play after 28 games....but Hey....Remi might be able to find his own players.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, supernova26 said:

How many points were we behind when Sherwood left and how many are we behind now?

The Browns fans in the US warned us when Randy took over about his 'dodgy' appointments, and boy were they right.

That ignores the fact that the other teams have picked up a lot more points since - Garde can't be blamed for clubs like Bournemouth, Newcastle and Norwich picking up freak points against some of the top teams.

Edited by Mantis

Some of these so called lesser teams have employed a fighting spirit allied to a bit of old fashioned brawn and they are picking up valuable points.

Technical ability is great and we all champion that, but without the above, you need to be awash with skills for it to make any kind of impact.

I worry that we are caught between a rock and a hard place.....and have been for a few years.

We have pursued better quality, buy buying abroad ( and I know thats debatable) at the expense of the old john bull british physicality....we need a mix.... a better mix

I think we have too many lightweight players, who at times are non-descript......and that makes it hard work.

Ps I seen Lescott screaming at Sinclair (to toughen up) in the early exchanges, when he lost out in a one on one.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, supernova26 said:

How many points were we behind when Sherwood left and how many are we behind now? Doesn't account for other team's results. FACT (I know you like them) Remi has more points in his first games than Sherwood did in his last.

Why do we start games so poorly under him? Can't answer this. Seems to be confidence related.

The 3 draws have all been spawny Newcastle missed 3 sitters. We missed plenty of good chances ourselves. Newcastle missed 1 sitter, 1 very good chance.

He hasn't won one match, and doesn't look like winning one. Don't totally disagree but the fixtures haven't been kind.

He leaves our best players on the bench. Ayew is our best player. He's started every game.

Wake up, he's a dud who is sleep walking us into The Championship. Again, same amount of points in 6 games than Sherwood in his last 10.

The Browns fans in the US warned us when Randy took over about his 'dodgy' appointments, and boy were they right. Fox appointment for one, and the Browns are still making dud appointments with Randy gone. They're a shit NFL franchise.

Off you pop, hating when we score.

26 minutes ago, supernova26 said:

Best players on the bench? Who?

Â