Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

Wonder what the excuse next season will be.

Part of the reason "money has been wasted" is the market we have been targeting over the years which has been an absolute disgrace. Lowton, Sylla etc weren't even the best players in their own league, this when we were remotely attractive as a club. This has been long term damage not something that has just occurred this season.

Give them a long contract and hope for the best; when it is clear that they are not to up to it nobody will buy them we either write them off or loan them until the contract expires. Rinse and repeat.

I expect next season it will be "we are in the championship we can't spend huge amounts" despite most of the ambitious sides in championship sides spending big not to mention parachute payments.

I feel sorry for the fans the most, the board/club deserve everything heading their way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Is there nobody else who feels a tiny bit sorry for these guys? Riley in particular, I don't think he has any say at all on the money aspect, he's asked to find players that fall within a remit handed to him. That's it. We don't know what that remit was.

Do you really think Tom Fox has any ultimate say over finances? I don't think he picks the players either.

They should probably go anyway, as that is the way of the world. Fox picked Sherwood so yeah, disaster. Riley I'm not so sure about, I'm also not so sure that Gestede is an Aston Villa signing and not a Sherwood one, or that they would have chosen to spend 3 months chasing Adebayor under a different manager. An actual manager.

I think it's a bit ignorant to place as much of the blame at their feet as some are whilst your man there sits in his ivory tower state side hammering the eject button with all his might. I don't see how either of them are in any way, shape or form to blame for this January's debacle.

Very much this. Lerner uses his Board and Managers as shields, exactly the same way Ellis used his managers. 

It will make no difference who gets sacked, until Lerner goes nothing will change. Stop venting your ire on Fox, etc., the only way to change things is Lerner leaving. If Lerner does not change his attitude in the Championship, we could easily slip even further. Lerner wants to go, but will apparently be content to wait to recoup as much of his money as possible. When will that happen? Could be too late for Aston Villa. He needs to be forced to sell, probably by a concerted effort by ST holders, peacefully, at Villa Park. That's the only way I can see it happening. 

1 minute ago, penguin said:

Well there is clearly a huge contrast in opinion between us here, £50M is nowhere near enough to spend in one season to assemble a competitive side. Using the amounts promoted sides have spent to assemble their sides in a lower division is a bit of false comparison, their sides are clearly worth a lot more than that in terms of value. So as I said the only way £50M would have been enough for the amount of players we needed was if we got excellent bargains with every purchase, which clearly isn't a realistic aim.

But what money were we supposed to use? Aston Villa Football Club is making losses every season, we have been making losses every season since Lerner bought the club. We simply can't be spending money we don't have, we will fail financial fair play and the club will go bankrupt. Only Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd and Man City spent more money that we did in the summer. We had a higher net spend than, Swansea, Arsenal, Southampton, Tottenham and stoke in the summer according to sky, Swansea, Southampton and Stoke just spent their money decently and pulled further away from us.

The amount of money spent these last seasons should be more than enough too keep the club from relegation, (according to some tabloids we have the 12th most expensive team  we also according to tabloids spend 12th most on wages) 

And I don't think anyone is expecting every signing to be a bargain, but when you buy 12 players, you'd expect that more than one would be a success/Bargain, to be honest, non of the players signed in the summer will be sold on for a profit at the moment (though I believe Amavi and maybe Ayew could possibly turn into bargains one day). The money has been wasted extremely badly 

18 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

I think everyone is pulling numbers out of the air. But there are signing on fees, which are high + sky high agent fees, especially for free transfer players. No one has any idea what we have really spent, the bottom line is that we have, without a doubt, spent more than we have made. Which is quite incredible for a team that makes losses every single season. We simply just can't blame the amount. £50m should be enough to build a team from scratch and survive. £50m is more than the entire bournemoth, Norwich and Watford teams, it's about the same as the entire Leicester team. 

Just don't understand how people expect a failing company to keep on spitting out money, where is that money supposed to come from ? there is a financial fair play rule that prevents the owner from spitting in too much money and he has put in a A LOT of money. It's just been wasted every time. 

Our attempt to sign Adebayor implies that Sherwood and the club itself was prepared to pay more. What sort of loan fee/signing on fee would we have had to shell out for him? We've been a striker away from competing properly with the bottom clubs rather than being left behind and the only place I can agree with you is that we did screw up a number of the summer signings. 

However, I'm shocked that anyone is actually seriously arguing we've spent enough. The reason the other clubs are all shelling out double figures here there and everywhere is that the TV money is going through the roof. We've cut and cut and cut and we're paying the price for it now. Sure, we could have bought more wisely, but it's inevitable some transfers aren't going to work out. We're not underfunded in just one position but all over the pitch and for season after season. 

The finances were meant to have been sorted out a year or so ago. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Our attempt to sign Adebayor implies that Sherwood and the club itself was prepared to pay more. What sort of loan fee/signing on fee would we have had to shell out for him? We've been a striker away from competing properly with the bottom clubs rather than being left behind and the only place I can agree with you is that we did screw up a number of the summer signings. 

However, I'm shocked that anyone is actually seriously arguing we've spent enough. The reason the other clubs are all shelling out double figures here there and everywhere is that the TV money is going through the roof. We've cut and cut and cut and we're paying the price for it now. Sure, we could have bought more wisely, but it's inevitable some transfers aren't going to work out. We're not underfunded in just one position but all over the pitch and for season after season. 

The finances were meant to have been sorted out a year or so ago. 

And they are obviously willing to spend money now, as Doumbia rejected us for Newcastle, rumours have it Debuchy rejected us to and Kalanic failed to get a work permit. The club has to be realistic, we are nearly for certain going down, we can't be signing players for ridicules money or wages, as we can't afford it in the championship, we are already making losses, can't afford to make much more losses. For us to be able to sign any decent player now, we would have to give them huge contracts or let them go for losses when we are relegated. 

I don't think we spend enough, I wish we had spent 10x what we have, it is just not possible to do, as we are limited in the amount we have, but when the club is not able to sustain what it is uising, it is quite incredible we are even able to spent what we are. And the amount we have spent the last 5 seasons + the wages we hand out are all mid table, which should be enough to keep the club away from the bottom three. It's been mismanagement all the way, not the amount that has been spent. 

2 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

And they are obviously willing to spend money now, as Doumbia rejected us for Newcastle, rumours have it Debuchy rejected us to and Kalanic failed to get a work permit. The club has to be realistic, we are nearly for certain going down, we can't be signing players for ridicules money or wages, as we can't afford it in the championship, we are already making losses, can't afford to make much more losses. For us to be able to sign any decent player now, we would have to give them huge contracts or let them go for losses when we are relegated. 

I don't think we spend enough, I wish we had spent 10x what we have, it is just not possible to do, as we are limited in the amount we have, but when the club is not able to sustain what it is uising, it is quite incredible we are even able to spent what we are. And the amount we have spent the last 5 seasons + the wages we hand out are all mid table, which should be enough to keep the club away from the bottom three. It's been mismanagement all the way, not the amount that has been spent. 

not arguing... honest question... how many player contracts expire this summer freeing up those wages?  (I know that needs to be offset be reduced revenue)

3 hours ago, DK82 said:

Yep I like that idea. Maybe 'Remi Garde's Claret and blue army' followed by 'We hate Randy Lerner' and repeat.

I very much agree.  There has quite a debate in here especially the last few days and there are clearly different views on the Window, Transfers generally, and what it all means for the future, but if there is a chant we can all agree on it'll do.

Or, Re-mi Garde, Ler-ner out (or Remi IN, Lerner Out etc)

Re-mi Garde, Ler-ner out (etc)

I will certainly have that.  Not that I'm convinced on Garde yet.

And it has to be this weekend, we somehow have to express our views en masse, and it needs to be associated wit this window, and needs to  be before we are losing !

3 hours ago, chrissmith921 said:

I don't agree at all that there's anything us fans can do to force a sale.

The guy doesn't turn up to games - so protesting there doesn't add an ounce to the cause. What can you protest about? "Wheres our money"? - its his. All his. Its his club too. Entirely. He doesn't answer to a board of directors, he doesn't represent a large shareholding - he owns it entirely.

Therefore, you can get as angry as you like - there is f*** all you can do.

If you destroyed his credit rating maybe - he'd fail the fit and proper ownership test but I think that takes a lot more work than protests!

Well I might be deluding myself but I think there is one way.

I think he prides himself on being a decent man, and I think in the circles he moves it matters.

If I could get every fan to focus on one thing, with chants, e-mails, letters ,phone-ins, banners, it would be this. Very simple

You said "I am a custodian and if there comes a time when I can't look after the Club I will move on".

You didn't say "As long as the Price is right", or "For a Fee", or "As long as I don't lose out"

So you are not a man of your word.  You Lied. Drop the price to a level someone will pay, you never know, its in such a mess you might have to drop it so low WE can buy it.

I know its not cosmic, but Al Capone was nailed on tax evasion.  I think it is a weak spot, probably the only one.