Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Surely you could claim that about any young player though, only a small percentage amount to anything special.

He's nearly 23 and has played the grand total of 2 games for Chelsea in 6 years, played twice for Czechs (so would presumably fail the criteria now) and has played about 20 times on loan at Boro.

The work permit process has always appeared random to me and does favour the bigger clubs with better lawyers. I'd imagine we'd appeal this but they have tightened up the regulations so we may have to look elsewhere. 

Pretty sure Guzan had his permit rejected and we won it on appeal, Bosko Balaban aswell.

Czechs have complete freedom of movement to work within the EU so there's no permit needed.  I'd be surprised if Kalinic got it turned down on appeal though, I can't see any real reasoning for it.

The best example surely must be Andrej Krmaric to Leicester that went through this summer even thou he was in very much the same position Kalinic is now.

May even be that his failure to establish himself in Leicester is one of the reasons Kalinic application is rejected.

3 minutes ago, sne said:

The best example surely must be Andrej Krmaric to Leicester that went through this summer even thou he was in very much the same position Kalinic is now.

May even be that his failure to establish himself in Leicester is one of the reasons Kalinic application is rejected.

Yeah back then Leicester just claimed Chelsea wanted to sign him and hey presto the application was processed. He has made little impact.

Difference here is Kalinic and would come here and be starting keeper as Guzan is halfway out the door and Bunn is a squad keeper, not a long term number one.

This is a bit more info on his permit case

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/08/leicester-andrej-kramaric-work-permit

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

Talking to maradona10 on Twitter (didn't he used to post here?)

Apparently with the criteria, you need 4 points to qualify, if the fee is in the top 25% bracket then you get 3 points, so basically if the player costs over £20m they are pretty much guaranteed to get one

So it's done the traditional English football way, the size of the fee used as a measuring stick of potential...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Surely you could claim that about any young player though, only a small percentage amount to anything special.

He's nearly 23 and has played the grand total of 2 games for Chelsea in 6 years, played twice for Czechs (so would presumably fail the criteria now) and has played about 20 times on loan at Boro.

The work permit process has always appeared random to me and does favour the bigger clubs with better lawyers. I'd imagine we'd appeal this but they have tightened up the regulations so we may have to look elsewhere. 

Pretty sure Guzan had his permit rejected and we won it on appeal, Bosko Balaban aswell.

Yes you can say that about a lot of players and that is how a lot of foreign young players end up in club's youth teams, but you are using facts from 2016 and not from when Chelsea wanted to sign Kalas. Back then Chelsea thought Kalas might turn into a great defender for them. If the current Kalas was Croatian and not Czech (because Czech's have an easier time working in England), he'd also likely not get a work permit because of the fact he has few national team appearances and only played in smaller leagues. 

Just now, lmarsha_926 said:

So Liverpool will get one from Texeria even though he has no caps for Brazil

Caps are not a sole criteria though.  I'm not going to argue with the Home Office that a striker that has scored 22 league goals in 15 games this season in the Ukraine and is about to be bought for ~£25m won't add quality to the Premier League.  Teixeira very much should get a work permit. 

Should the club have been aware of the criteria before they made the enquiry ?

Must have assumed they'd get it on appeal

They have changed the rules in the last year but like others have said Leicester used Chelsea being linked to kramaric and a message from Kovac during his appeal, there is more flexibility in it

3 minutes ago, lmarsha_926 said:

So Liverpool will get one from Texeria even though he has no caps for Brazil

Even thou it might lead to English players like Sturridge, Ings and Sinclair might get even less playing time at Liverpool...

The rules on foreigners and home grown players is retarded. All it does is put English talent on the bench at the rich clubs making the national side worse.

And the system seem very subjective on who get's a permit and who doesn't

As a mate of mine has pointed out, I think his age has counted against him here, not just in the sense that we can't claim he's an outstanding youngster but also because at 25, he has 2 caps one of which was a friendly 2 years ago.  So he hasn't set the world alight to date and in all likelyhood won't.  We can argue that goalkeepers peak later on, and they do, but it looks like we just backed a loser this time.  Thankfully, if Sherwood is right, the committee will have plenty of names on their list and we'll be signing plan B in no time.  Right?