Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Cutting the wage bill is top priority.

You are right. Isn't it so ridiculous that that is the case? To me, devaluing the asset by a significant figure (following relegation) is a more significant loss than short term (relatively; 4-5year contracts) investment in players to maintain the level. I know there's no point saying on VT as I'm preaching to the choir, but it frustrates me.

Our wage bill must've been reduced by 40% last 5 years? How much lower can it realistically go? We're not getting promoted next season with a team of YTS lads on a tenner a week so surely it's counter productive.

Edited by VillaChris

I'd rather we didn't go down the heavy spending route like Newcastle - look what happened in the summer with our spending. I think it is best to dip into the loan market as we might be able to get players who won't sign permanently and we protect ourselves financially should relegation happen.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Richard said:

And free for no wages ?

Given that Reim said we could have signed a couple of players if we weren't bottom of the league, I think there's money available.

For there to have been any hope that we would spend a significant amount of money we needed to be in touch and 9 points from safety is not in touch. In fact I think Newcastle will stay up comfortably so I'd say realistically we are 11 points from safety which is Norwich.

I don't blame the club for not spending big now. The owners failings in terms of spending came way before this point.

Edited by markavfc40

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Our wage bill must've been reduced by 40% last 5 years? How much lower can it realistically go? We're not getting promoted next season with a team of YTS lads on a tenner a week so surely it's counter productive.

I think our wage bill is in the region of £50m ... yet Bournemouth is something like £20m. Whilst we do have to spend we need to sort out cultural issues within the club IMO. We need a culture to fight and play at our best and one where there are chances for our youth players instead of releasing/selling them. Look what Bournemouth have achieved - we ought to be doing better than them based on just £ but we are not. 

Just now, markavfc40 said:

For there have been any hope that we would spend a significant amount of money we needed to be in touch and 9 points from safety is not in touch. In fact I think Newcastle will stay up comfortably so I'd say realistically we are 11 points from safety which is Norwich.

I don't blame the club for not spending big now. The owners failings in terms of spending came way before this point.

I think that's the main problem. Were we a couple of points away we'd spend.

I have no problem with us not splashing loads of cash on signings we'll be stuck with in the championship.

But, I think we DO have to sign some players, even if it's not for big money. Garde needs a chance to put his stamp on the team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

For there to have been any hope that we would spend a significant amount of money we needed to be in touch and 9 points from safety is not in touch. In fact I think Newcastle will stay up comfortably so I'd say realistically we are 11 points from safety which is Norwich.

We don't even have to spend big. We are pretty much down but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't be signing some players to prepare us for the championship. 

• Like 1

When Fox was talking about us being broken it is probably based around us being a more old fashioned model of a club. Signings like N'Zogbia, Sidwell on massive contracts with no real return and having match day bonuses in contracts such as Bent's have meant a complete change of policy in recent years but we are still feeling it. 

We have changed to a more modern European model now where elements seem to have stabilised but sadly not on the pitch early in the season. I can't blame players for wanting to come as we are working through issues and our lowly position. 

I wonder if our answer is not a load of more signings but a couple solid loans and a keeper. I think Kozak and Gestede may surprise us, if Kozak hangs around. 

10 minutes ago, Arj Guy said:

We don't even have to spend big. We are pretty much down but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't be signing some players to prepare us for the championship. 

I am not saying the club shouldn't spend I am saying that we shouldn't now spend big as some have alluded when saying that others have spent or are seemingly going to spend significant amounts. The difference between us, Sunderland, Bournemouth, Newcastle is that they have a very realistic chance of staying up. The chances of us doing so are virtually non existent.

I am also not suggesting had we been in touch that we would have spent. As you and others have rightly said we have been in deep mire in recent seasons and have hardly spent a penny in January. Unlike those seasons though I can understand why the club won't be spending big.

• Like 1