Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

12 hours ago, Chindie said:

Freedom to grow up as an orphan because his parents went to a parade while a feeble word removed had to show the world how angry he is with an assault rifle.

I now have complete sympathy fatigue. It's not news anymore. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOF said:

I now have complete sympathy fatigue. It's not news anymore. 

I agree,its getting like Coronation St.The only thing is you dont know if the next episode is tomorrow,next week or next month "BUT" there definately will be another episode,or 3 or 20 etc etc etc.

15 hours ago, Chindie said:

Freedom to grow up as an orphan because his parents went to a parade while a feeble word removed had to show the world how angry he is with an assault rifle.

You just can't imagine the emotions that poor boy will be going through :( 

7 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

The father lay on top of the boy and shielded him from the bullets.

Yeah I read that. It's horrendous. I hope you manage to change your gun laws. 

Just now, TheAuthority said:

Won't happen. I'm just looking for jobs back in Europe for the 1st time since moving here. 

My little lad is only 3 - I think about gins every day when I drop him at pre-school. It's just not healthy.

Guns neither mate 😉

• Like 1

But seriously I'm sure it was you who said your 3 year old had already done some active shooter drill stuff? 

**** that, I'd be gone, I couldn't live somewhere that chooses to normalise something so terrible to that extent, it's beyond madness

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

But seriously I'm sure it was you who said your 3 year old had already done some active shooter drill stuff? 

**** that, I'd be gone, I couldn't live somewhere that chooses to normalise something so terrible to that extent, it's beyond madness

Yup they do. The teachers practice locking themselves into toilet (every classroom has a toilet) and getting the kids to be quiet.

All of our offices at the University have deadbolts so you can lock yourself inside if there's an active shooter.

I played a few July 4th concerts over the weekend including a big one on Saturday downtown by the government buildings. My mate was just talking about how he hates been involved in those big concert events because it's such an easy target for a nutter with guns. Of course that was the day that the Illinois shooting happened.

I'm sure it just adds a level of stress to life that is very unhealthy.

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Yup they do. The teachers practice locking themselves into toilet (every classroom has a toilet) and getting the kids to be quiet.

All of our offices at the University have deadbolts so you can lock yourself inside if there's an active shooter.

I played a few July 4th concerts over the weekend including a big one on Saturday downtown by the government buildings. My mate was just talking about how he hates been involved in those big concert events because it's such an easy target for a nutter with guns. Of course that was the day that the Illinois shooting happened.

I'm sure it just adds a level of stress to life that is very unhealthy.

I'm looking to expand my business there in the next year or two. But there's a zero percent chance that I'd move my family now. Would have considered it ten years ago but now it's not even just the guns - it's the general level of hatred and division too.

It feels like an absolute tinder box, and not at all the country I remember from 20 years ago. Even a couple of recent holidays opened my eyes to that.

• Like 1

When was the tipping point? 

There must have been a time when random mass shootings weren't a thing?  

It just seems to have gone insane since Sandy Hook.. Or is it that we're just being told about them now?  They're being reported more? 

It's just so sad because the USA is an amazing country, that has so many things going for it.. What a shame a literal handful of people are making it such an unpleasantly appealing place to visit.  (I got married there, but I won't be going back, not that anyone would care!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

When was the tipping point? 

There must have been a time when random mass shootings weren't a thing?  

It just seems to have gone insane since Sandy Hook.. Or is it that we're just being told about them now?  They're being reported more? 

It's just so sad because the USA is an amazing country, that has so many things going for it.. What a shame a literal handful of people are making it such an unpleasantly appealing place to visit.  (I got married there, but I won't be going back, not that anyone would care!)

I think until a young child/relative of the president, or very senior politician is killed at school nothing will change.

I think that might be the catalyst for change. Whilst it’s mainly other peoples kids the powers that be will plod on.

52 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think until a young child/relative of the president, or very senior politician is killed at school nothing will change.

I think that might be the catalyst for change. Whilst it’s mainly other peoples kids the powers that be will plod on.

i dunno

i can imagine the fingers will still point in any direction apart from guns, its a mental health problem, its an education problem, its social welfare problem, its a police problem, its a justice system problem, its a video game problem, its a manson problem, its a boys and girls share the same bathroom problem, its a kids dont believe in jesus anymore problem etc etc

its a joe biden problem...

its never a gun problem 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

i dunno

i can imagine the fingers will still point in any direction apart from guns, its a mental health problem, its an education problem, its social welfare problem, its a police problem, its a justice system problem, its a video game problem, its a manson problem, its a boys and girls share the same bathroom problem, its a kids dont believe in jesus anymore problem etc etc

its a joe biden problem...

its never a gun problem 

My theory is that if it’s someone senior enough then they don’t need the debate. The don’t need to sell anything. They’ll just do it and ride the wave of negativity that follows.

Â