Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

11 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

I love (and am simultaneously infuriated by) their complete incomprehension of how to defend yourself without a gun.

"But what if somebody invades your home?"

"What if you get attacked on the street?"

"What if somebody tries to steal your car?"

"what if a black man knocks on your door?"

As if these scenarios are USA exclusive or exacerbated by the fact the perpetrators, ya know... usually have guns, which they would be less likely to have if they banned them.

FTFY

Also is the rate of crime there so much higher than the UK and the rest of the civilised world?

If you asked me "what if someone tries to steal your car?" my answer is I genuinely don't know because it's not a scenario that I ever think about because I'm fortunate enough to live in a country where I don't really have to... Again America makes itself sound like Sierra Leone with it's mentality - and the answer is I'd probably hand over the keys, tell him how all the gadgets work, wish him well and then phone my insurance... Other than my phone because of photos of my kids I wouldn't defend myself

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Other than my phone because of photos of my kids I wouldn't defend myself

Don't you back up your photos to the cloud? 

• Like 2

Same day, similar story:

Kaylin Gillis: Woman shot dead in New York state after friend pulled into wrong driveway

A man has been charged with second-degree murder in the US after he allegedly shot and killed a 20-year-old woman as the car she was in mistakenly drove up the man's driveway.

Kaylin Gillis was with three other people in New York state on Saturday.

They accidentally drove into the driveway of Kevin Monahan in the town of Hebron, police say.

As the driver was leaving, Mr Monahan, 65, allegedly opened fire on the vehicle, hitting Ms Gillis.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Don't you back up your photos to the cloud? 

You beat me to it, mine are all backed up to 2 different places. 

Amazon photos (free with Prime) and Google (free).

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

It's full...and I've got an external hard drive which I back them up on every couple of months 

But I still that would cause me to panic 

2 minutes work and you won't have to fight an attacker to keep your phone.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Must be the only country in the world where turning into another persons driveway ( by mistake ) can cause you to lose your life.

What a crazy Country the US is becoming...........almost appears to becoming a lawless place like the old wild west 150 years ago....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Heard a stat yesterday which if true is crazy.  Between last years NRA annual meeting and this years annual NRA meeting which is less than 365 days there has been 589 mass shootings in the U.S.

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 2

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Heard a stat yesterday which if true is crazy.  Between last years NRA annual meeting and this years annual NRA meeting which is less than 365 days there has been 589 mass shootings in the U.S.

That's only 0.03 per day, per state. Nothing to see here.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Thoughts and prayers. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HKP90 said:

How f***ing paranoid are Americans?

It's incredibly hard to get into that mindset.

"Someone has rung my doorbell!  Better fire a gun through the door"
"Someone has driven on to my drive!  Better grab the shotgun and fire as they drive away"

**** up country.

Same day, similar story:

Cheerleader Heather Roth said she got out of her friend's car to get into her own vehicle, but mistakenly picked the wrong car.

There was a man in the passenger seat, so she retreated back to her friend's vehicle.

"I see the guy get out of the passenger door. And I rolled my window down, and I was trying to apologise to him... and he just threw his hands up and he pulled out a gun and he just starting shooting at all of us," she said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65330696

• Like 1

Â