The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

13 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Unless you’re Scottish and/or living in Scotland I’m not sure you have much of a stake in the independence debate.

That seems very harsh,  I was born in Birmingham but now I can't have a view on the Villa anymore ?

What if you want to comment on Trump,  does one need to live there ?

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D

19 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

That seems very harsh,  I was born in Birmingham but now I can't have a view on the Villa anymore ?

He said that you don't have a stake, not that you can't have an opinion.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Unless you’re Scottish and/or living in Scotland I’m not sure you have much of a stake in the independence debate.

I am Scottish but having not lived there for a long old time, I don't have a stake in the debate. I know which side I'd support now, having been on the fence during indyref but ultimately, unless I return to a teuchter life, I don't get a say and I'm OK with that.  

• Like 1

Up is down, left is right, water is dry. Believe the sermons of Cummings and not the evidence of your eyes and ears.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/lords-told-not-to-block-boris-johnson-brexit-bill-1-6839169

No 10 tells Lords not to block new Brexit bill claiming it is a ‘manifesto commitment’

Downing Street has issued a warning to peers not to try to block controversial legislation overriding key elements of the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement.
Share article from  on facebookTweet article from Listen to The New European on SpotifyListen to The New European on iTunesemail article from 
Become a Supporter

Almost four years after its creation The New European goes from strength to strength across print and online, offering a pro-European perspective on Brexit and reporting on the political response to the coronavirus outbreak, climate change and international politics. But we can only continue to grow with your support.

A No 10 spokesman said ministers believed the Salisbury Convention – which states the House of Lords should not vote down legislation to implement government manifesto commitments – should apply to the UK Internal Market Bill.

That is despite the fact the manifesto commitment was to deliver Boris Johnson’s deal through parliament by Christmas 2019 and to leave the EU by January 31.

“Our deal is the only one on the table. It is signed, sealed and ready. It puts the whole country on a path to a new free trade agreement with the EU.”

It adds: “We will negotiate a trade agreement next year”. On additional pages it says: “Getting Brexit done will allow us to do more on the international stage. We will continue to be an outward-looking country that is a champion of collective security, the rule of law, human rights, free trade, and a rules-based international system.”

But now the government expects peers to support a new bill overriding the original deal and breaking international law.

“We would expect the Lords to abide by the Salisbury Convention,” the spokesman said.

“Guaranteeing the full economic benefit of leaving the EU to all parts of the United Kingdom and ensuring Northern Ireland’s businesses and producers enjoy unfettered access to the rest of the UK were clear Conservative manifesto commitments which this legislation delivers.”

Some peers have warned that the bill – which passed its second reading in the Commons on Monday – will not get through the upper chamber in its current form.

The Salisbury Convention tells them to block it surely, as the WA was the manifesto commitment...

“Guaranteeing the full economic benefit of leaving the EU to all parts of the United Kingdom and ensuring Northern Ireland’s businesses and producers enjoy unfettered access to the rest of the UK were clear Conservative manifesto commitments which this legislation delivers.”

This sets a very dangerous precedent. General manifesto pledges can force shit through the Lords. 'Reduce immigration' can turn into a 'stop all immigration' bill and the Lords can do nothing to amend it.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

55 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

He said that you don't have a stake, not that you can't have an opinion.  

51 minutes ago, choffer said:

I am Scottish but having not lived there for a long old time, I don't have a stake in the debate. I know which side I'd support now, having been on the fence during indyref but ultimately, unless I return to a teuchter life, I don't get a say and I'm OK with that.  

I realise that saying this in 2020 carries the risk that I will be seen as a Tory or a pith-helmeted imperialist, but I don't really agree that I don't have any stake in the constitutional settlement of the country I live in.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I realise that saying this in 2020 carries the risk that I will be seen as a Tory or a pith-helmeted imperialist, but I don't really agree that I don't have any stake in the constitutional settlement of the country I live in.

If it did make you a tory, there’s a fair chance you’d vote for english independence...

Poll 30.06.2020 - Conservative supporters evenly split on the subject with 49% saying they support English independence to 51% who were opposed.

Atlantic Union, incoming...

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

As others have answered on my behalf having an opinion versus a stake are two different things.

The independence stuff is interesting to me being a Welshman, no that I’m desperate to see Wales become independent but I can understand some of the sentiment behind it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I agree.

My opinion on the matter, though, is that whilst I would be very sad to see the UK break up, I think that the people of Scotland (and NI and Wales) should get the opportunity to decide for themselves at any time (but that it should probably be some sort of supermajority). I also think that it's inevitable given the current government's attitude to the other nations.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I agree.

My opinion on the matter, though, is that whilst I would be very sad to see the UK break up, I think that the people of Scotland (and NI and Wales) should get the opportunity to decide for themselves at any time (but that it should probably be some sort of supermajority). I also think that it's inevitable given the current government's attitude to the other nations.

Yes, I think that's exactly where I'm at as well (though maybe a little bit of caveating around 'at any time').

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

As others have answered on my behalf having an opinion versus a stake are two different things.

The independence stuff is interesting to me being a Welshman, no that I’m desperate to see Wales become independent but I can understand some of the sentiment behind it.

I totally understand now👍 Nice one.

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

So that’s 7 hours a week he won’t be representing and working for his constituency then. Quite apart from the stench of corruption this gives off, will he be surrendering 7 hours a week of his Parliamentary salary.

Â