The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Again, this carries on points made in other threads but the conclusion is specific to this government and what I fear they actually want out of this legislation (The Internal Market Bill):

Ronan Cormacain: The United Kingdom Internal Market Bill and Breach of Domestic Law

Huge controversy has already been generated over provisions in the United Kingdom Internal Market Bill granting Ministers the power to disapply the Withdrawal Agreement.  Most of the debate (Elliott,  Armstrong) has been focused on the potential breaches of international law. This could severely damage the reputation of the United Kingdom in the world.  However, what has been relatively overlooked is that this Bill is also a flagrant attack on the Rule of Law at the UK domestic level.  This remains the case even if amendments proposed by Sir Bob Neill MP (and apparently accepted by the Government) pass.

The Bill clearly states that any regulations made under it have effect, notwithstanding that they breach any domestic law whatsoever, including the decision of any court.  This is not quite the same as a Henry VIII clause which would give the Minister the power to amend primary or secondary legislation by way of making a statutory instrument.  It is broader and simply says that any domestic law which is incompatible with these provisions simply does not have effect.

Conclusion

Brandon Lewis MP, Secretary of State for Northern Ireland has unambiguously stated in Parliament that ‘this [Bill] does break international law in a very specific and limited way’.  As Garner has argued, these clauses constitute an immediate breach of international law as well as authorise future breaches of international law.  Equally damning is the breach of UK domestic law contained in the Bill.  The wording of the Bill is clear – the Government can make regulations which have effect even if they are incompatible with domestic law.  Putting anything above the law is the antithesis of the Rule of Law.

In a proudly Rule of Law compliant country like the United Kingdom, an argument which ends with the conclusion that ‘it’s okay for Parliament to break the law’ cannot be sustained.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, snowychap said:

it's getting more and more relevant by the day under this current lot:

It is, you're right. And the troubling thing is that their instinct to want to do that is actually bolstered by a degree of necessity in some limited areas around the corolla fungus. Given that getting law changes through all the stages of parliament takes months, that's too slow for the covi situation. So there's some argument to have very limited ministerial decree for some limited areas, but they are probably the most power-grabby bunch of ideologues, incompetents and whoppers there's ever been in power and their whole modus operandi seems to be to circumvent/sideline/ignore/destroy scrutiny, checks and balances, sound advice and all the rest. We're going to be regretting these things for a decade or more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blandy said:

Given that getting law changes through all the stages of parliament takes months, that's too slow for the covi situation.

Well, yes and no. Legislation can get through Parliament much quicker than that but also there could be the ideas like the sifting committee one (as per the original idea to do with Brexit SIs) which, given we're now six months in to the regular use of emergency regulations and we're told at least six months before the end, could and should really be part of the procedure if Parliamentary sovereignty was at any point an actual reason for some of these gobshites wanting to 'take back control'..

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Legislation can get through Parliament much quicker than that but also there could be the ideas like the sifting committee one

Yeah, you're right it can. I was keeping my post brief, rather than caveat it all. The Brexit stuff sometimes got turned round in a couple of days or so, and as fun as it was to see the Tories lose, it wasn't an ideal way to handle things from the parliamentary perspective, though it did show what is possible where enough MPs want to do something, and the speaker allows it.

I think under the circumstances some limited authority for (say) the health Minister to impose restrictions to control viruses outbreaks via additional powers beyond those already available to local authorities might be acceptable as a time limited power as an example, but it really should be a sort of non-precedent exception and we don't really think the Tories (or any future gov't) will give something up once they've got it. Especially this lot of twunts.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think under the circumstances some limited authority for (say) the health Minister to impose restrictions to control viruses outbreaks via additional powers beyond those already available to local authorities might be acceptable as a time limited power as an example, but it really should be a sort of non-precedent exception and we don't really think the Tories (or any future gov't) will give something up once they've got it. Especially this lot of twunts.

That's pretty much right, I think.

Add in to it the extra stuff as per the DAG video and the Cormacain piece and it's truly frightening!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

They are all awful, awful skin suits.

Criticising things as not logical seems to be their new buzzword—I heard blowjob using it today (maybe today) too when Starmer was criticising the lack of any functioning testing. They're massive hypocrites, and their bullshit is so blatant. They have no shame. No souls either.

I can't believe people fall for it.

This is as bad as it's ever been though. You'd hope there are a decent number of people slowly slowly waking up to the fact that nothing this government says is worth anything. They might not be admitting it to themselves yet, but come on. I've never seen such a constant farce.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 3

This is The Spectator talking (The Spectator!):

In the light of recent articles in The Spectator, I think it is vital I should point out here and now that I thought Boris Johnson was crap long before Toby Young and our editor, Fraser Nelson, did. I remember suggesting more than a year ago that the entire Johnson clan was a bit thick and borne aloft simply by depthless ambition and droit de seigneur

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/time-for-me-to-be-more-assertive/amp

Â