The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

at least  you’ve admitted you made one so rather than bore  everyone else I’m happy with your acknowledgment of it and we can move on 

EDIT: I've removed that response for the sake of not wasting any moderator's time. However, you may certainly consider this conversation closed. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, blandy said:

I do. Me up here on my cloud thinks it's been his plan to make the EU believe that he's serious about it, that the plan is also to make MPs believe he's willing to call an election if they vote him down - knowing they don't want to lose their seats. With his aimed outcome being to get the EU to give him something that he will then take to parliament with the choice realistically being available to them to either "vote it through or no deal Brexit happens", again knowing they will then vote it through.

It's obviously flawed and extremely high risk, and could lead to either the EU still deciding not to move an inch, or enough tories voting against their own party, meaning he has 2 ways of losing and one of winning. I doubt he'll get hoofed out because so many MPs see Corbyn as a terrible, at least as bad or worse than the "no deal", alternative) and think the most likely outcome by a street is a tweaked version of May's deal going through.

So I see it as a high risk attempt, but one which has a decent chance of him doing what he said. This stuff today has positioned things more in his favour. No deal might happen, but only by "accident", by events he doesn't want to happen.

I don’t think he would consider losing a vote of no confidence a loss as such. He’ll just set the election date for November and campaign on a populist ‘people vs the parliament’ platform. He would back himself in an election against Corbyn, even the unloved May managed that.

In his mind the plan is win win. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I don’t think he would consider losing a vote of no confidence a loss as such. ..In his mind the plan is win win. 

I take your point, but I think win-win is overdoing it.

It's clearly a significant risk for him. It's a risk in several ways. Losing a VoNC could see the end of him being PM - he could end up being remembered (and he wants to be thought of as a significant figure in history, not as an inept sidenote like May) as the shortest ever duration PM (certainly in modern times). He could lose control of the whole process, he could lose his seat in Uxbridge. The narrative and, er, momentum would quickly change if he were to lose a VoNC. It would change from "Decisive Boris Johnson, outsmarting remainers and finally sorting out Brexit" to "Clown Boris Johnson throws away his premiership with reckless gamble that backfired and left Britain to accidentally crash out of the EU due to blundering incompetence".

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, bickster said:

Presumably for quietly deleting this, which has been removed from the account it was posted from:

EDKO42LWwAEsGob?format=jpg&name=large

Making it look even more obvious that they were doing something a bit politically iffy.

Edited by ml1dch

11 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Making it look even more obvious that they were doing something a bit politically iffy

As someone pointed out, at the same time as they were saying it was a totally normal administrative exercise, the Torygraph was leading with it in triumphal tones, as though to celebrate some kind of victory.

Which is it to be?

Oh, both?  Yes.  Yes, I see.

Â