The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 hour ago, Skruff said:

What's the general consensus on the consequences of a hard exit among UK economist's, analyst's and statisticians? What's being said behind all the noise of media, self serving politicians and people arguing whether or not this was a good idea? 

There should be adequate food and medicine for the wealthy.

It is suggested here that a very senior member of the government, who advised the head of state to suspend parliament to prevent it stopping a no-deal brexit, has been betting against Britain and stands to make a great deal of money out of a brexit which harms a great many people.

It is a very serious allegation which should be investigated as a matter of urgency.  I'm sure we all hope the allegation is misplaced.

58 minutes ago, peterms said:

It is suggested here that a very senior member of the government, who advised the head of state to suspend parliament to prevent it stopping a no-deal brexit, has been betting against Britain and stands to make a great deal of money out of a brexit which harms a great many people.

It is a very serious allegation which should be investigated as a matter of urgency.  I'm sure we all hope the allegation is misplaced.

Apart from the fact Mogg doesn’t have any involvement in the day to day business at Somerset capital , not does he make any investment decisions  ... he also resigned his advisor post there once he became a cabinet minister , though does still retain a holding in the company 

Somerset capital may we’ll be shorting the £ , but it isn’t Mogg doing it as mad Twitter lady falsely claims .

i’m not even sure her  “ of course he has moved SC to Ireland to clear the trades in the eurozone  claim “is true either ,for one he didn’t move the fund and wasn’t part of the decisions and two  they opened a fund in Ireland to serve EU clients ( so did lots of other funds including the biggest , legal and general ) but the Irish fund services  the main fund which U.K. based 

but hey who ever let facts get in the way of twitter 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Skruff said:

So it's more or less a game of chicken going on between Borris and the EU?

If it all ends up in a no deal exit. That would surely strangle your economy, for a few years?  Regardless of foreign investments being made. You're basically cutting yourself off from half of your current market? 

What's the general consensus on the consequences of a hard exit among UK economist's, analyst's and statisticians? What's being said behind all the noise of media, self serving politicians and people arguing whether or not this was a good idea? 

Not an economist but opting out of a massive trading block like the EU - isn't going to be a good move ??? - at least not in the next 5-10 years ?

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

I'm sure he never talks to people at the company to give them the benefit of his insider knowledge so that he can profit from it. That'd be deeply unethical. 

Well that’s an allegation to be made and investigated if people see fit ....but that isn’t what mad twitter lady said which was the point I made in my post 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Skruff said:

So it's more or less a game of chicken going on between Borris and the EU?

If it all ends up in a no deal exit. That would surely strangle your economy, for a few years?  Regardless of foreign investments being made. You're basically cutting yourself off from half of your current market? 

Nobody really knows what the government's game is. The best guess is, yes a game of chicken. Johnson has made a lot of, in essence, saying that we need to make the EU believe we go to a No Deal Brexit, and that any moves by Parliament to legislate against No Deal will harm the negotiating position. Of course saying this publicly is itself undermining that idea, and it also neglects to understand that the EU knows what No Deal means for us.

Johnson is, however, not solely looking to do what's in the interest of the country, he's also concerned about the future of the Tory Party, which some members fear may completely tear itself apart if Brexit isn't 'fulfilled'. He's also concerned for his own position if he doesn't push through Brexit (although he's also likely quite happy to be 'prevented' from going through with it). The Executive therefore isn't acting rationally in the interests of the country.

There's a tiny handful of economists that think there'll be any benefit to Brexit, notably Patrick Minford, who's considered a crackpot. His research group has put out a few papers that have been torn apart, and even he had to admit that Brexit would **** a few industries completely. Everyone else has been screaming for months that this is economic insanity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Do you have any evidence for this?

He's always avoided that question as far as I’ve seen

You  mean apart from the chief exec saying as much., then no , but there were a few prominent portfolio names that seem to echo his limited role ( and ability ) but even if I gave 30 pages of evidence it wouldn't make an iota of difference really would it 

Bentley said Somerset’s success was down to Rees-Mogg’s team, given his lack of involvement in day to day management since becoming an MP in 2010. “His stepping down isn’t going to be significant, other than his name will add less kudos to the company obviously.

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, peterms said:

A thread.

Interesting thread. There are a few over reaches in it, though.

The Sarah Sands stuff doesn't stack up. She was a terrible editor of the Evening Standard, and painfully pro-Tory / pro-Boris / pro-toff, but I don't think she's working as a secret outrider for the Brexit cause, because most of the supposed profit motives identified there are overstated. Public affairs agencies like Brunswick don't need to invent crises - there are always plenty of crises across the world for them to cash in on.

It's not as if the Today programme influences voters, anyway. I imagine most people who listen to it voted Remain and would vote Remain again.

All this "research" has uncovered is that a lot of rich people are words removed who believe in low taxes, especially the ones who get involved in politics, and that a lot of rich influential people are related to each other. Frustrating yes, but not really a smoking gun. To be fair, a lot of poor people believe in low taxes as well, they just don't have the spare cash to bankroll newspapers or political parties. They probably would if they could.

The idea that this is all a big disaster capitalist conspiracy to profit from shorting the pound, buying up businesses on the cheap, (etc.) seems a bit far fetched to me. Even the fact that someone involved in Brexit has shorted the pound isn't necessarily the damning evidence it appears to be. They could be gambling on market psychology or it could be a hedge.

I don't doubt that there are some nasty, immoral, acquisitive, empire-building, borderline criminal, wealthy people in the world - the Murdochs, Trumps, Putins, etc. all have a mafioso quality to them. But it would be a hell of a conspiracy to make something like Brexit happen purely to serve those ends, given the uncertainty surrounding so many aspects of it. Why would you do it to a nice developed country where you own property, when you could just go and exploit people in Africa, Asia or Latin America like you used to? I accept that these people are despicable, but the conspiracy theory makes no sense to me.

• Like 2

Gobshites Speech yeaterday with the background noise balanced to reflect what it actually sounded like.

Impressive job on the audio as gobshite is spewing his bullshit  into directional mics, they background noise must have been loud for the mics to even pick it up. This probably explains why he looked so flustered

• Like 3

10 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Apart from the fact Mogg doesn’t have any involvement in the day to day business at Somerset capital , not does he make any investment decisions  ... he also resigned his advisor post there once he became a cabinet minister , though does still retain a holding in the company 

He receives a minimum of £15k every month from them, and records either 20 or 30 hours spent in return for that payment.

I imagine he's not cleaning the khasi for that.

• Like 4

Â