The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I don't' know that anyone holds them up as super natural wunder beings  

royal-fans-gather-outside-windsor-castle

I’m trying to get more World War II references in than Mark Dunkirk-Francois.

It’s a losing battle. Not that we’ve ever lost a world war.

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

ill be honest and say I still don't understand what his reasoning for suspending parliament is

Johnson is proroguing Parliament to in order to run the clock down to achieve a no deal Brexit. Anything else he claims, is utter bullshit.

Just now, villa4europe said:

i know that! but what has he actually claimed? whats the guise?

That Parliament has run for a long time without a new legislative agenda and needs a new Queen's speech to facilitate that. Which requires the closing of one Parliament and the introduction of another. 

It's just coincidence that the time out is five times as long as normal and at the very time that a majority of MPs wish to be debating legislation and the future of the UK.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Johnson is proroguing Parliament to in order to run the clock down to achieve a no deal Brexit. Anything else he claims, is utter bullshit.

I wouldn't have thought anyone could dispute that. The rights and wrongs can and will be debated - but not the why.

51 minutes ago, hippo said:

I wouldn't have thought anyone could dispute that.

I do. Me up here on my cloud thinks it's been his plan to make the EU believe that he's serious about it, that the plan is also to make MPs believe he's willing to call an election if they vote him down - knowing they don't want to lose their seats. With his aimed outcome being to get the EU to give him something that he will then take to parliament with the choice realistically being available to them to either "vote it through or no deal Brexit happens", again knowing they will then vote it through.

It's obviously flawed and extremely high risk, and could lead to either the EU still deciding not to move an inch, or enough tories voting against their own party, meaning he has 2 ways of losing and one of winning. I doubt he'll get hoofed out because so many MPs see Corbyn as a terrible, at least as bad or worse than the "no deal", alternative) and think the most likely outcome by a street is a tweaked version of May's deal going through.

So I see it as a high risk attempt, but one which has a decent chance of him doing what he said. This stuff today has positioned things more in his favour. No deal might happen, but only by "accident", by events he doesn't want to happen.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, blandy said:

I do. Me up here on my cloud thinks it's been his plan to make the EU believe that he's serious about it, that the plan is also to make MPs believe he's willing to call an election if they vote him down - knowing they don't want to lose their seats. With his aimed outcome being to get the EU to give him something that he will then take to parliament with the choice realistically being available to them to either "vote it through or no deal Brexit happens", again knowing they will then vote it through.

It's obviously flawed and extremely high risk, and could lead to either the EU still deciding not to move an inch, or enough tories voting against their own party, meaning he has 2 ways of losing and one of winning. I doubt he'll get hoofed out because so many MPs see Corbyn as a terrible, at least as bad or worse than the "no deal", alternative) and think the most likely outcome by a street is a tweaked version of May's deal going through.

So I see it as a high risk attempt, but one which has a decent chance of him doing what he said. This stuff today has positioned things more in his favour. No deal might happen, but only by "accident", by events he doesn't want to happen.

I have disagreed with this analysis before, but in the interests of fairness, I should say that at least one politics watcher is sure you are right:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Please feel free to point out my mistake. 

at least  you’ve admitted you made one so rather than bore  everyone else I’m happy with your acknowledgment of it and we can move on 

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Not quite the poll I was looking for but...

A second vote is undemocratic, but suspending parliament is just fine. The logic of leave voting bellends. I'm done with pretending to have any respect for the opinions of Brexiteers, let's cut the country in half (ok ,you can have an extra 2%) and each go our own way.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Anybody know how Boris is currently polling in Uxbridge btw? It was much more marginal in 2017 than expected and if say the LibDems and the Greens didn't stand say... it'd be bloody close

Probably doesn't matter. If there were a hint of a lost majority then he'd be parachuted into a safe seat filled with the current target Tory demographic.

Rhodesia, say. Or 1930s Munich.

• Haha 2

Just now, ml1dch said:

Probably doesn't matter. If there were a hint of a lost majority then he'd be parachuted into a safe seat filled with the current target Tory demographic.

Rhodesia, say. Or 1930s Munich.

I'm not sure there's time if he calls the snap election everyone thinks he will. Same goes for Elmer Fudd. Do they have time to do the old switcheroo?

Â