The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

10 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

There won't be a GE. Any talk is a ploy by the Tories to give people hope there is a chance to stop Brexit via a GE. It's about keeping people quiet with the hope that change is coming.

There will be a GE, with about 75% likelihood, I’d say. What the tories are doing is pretending to go for a no deal Brexit in order to twist the EU’s arm to reopen negotiations. If they are prevented from no deal, there will 100% be an election. If they somehow mess up so badly that no deal happens, or is imminent it’s still extremely likely there will be one, because they will lose parliamentary majority completely.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Come on. You can't ignore the racial connotations in this.

As for it being purely an "American thing". That's crap and you know it. We share so much in terms of language, culture, TV and news with the states that generalisations don't stay within the borders of the US. 

No I disagree. I don't associate it with being black, in this country I associate it with being young. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

main-qimg-8702f1b8eb8103507bfd75acf6d3641900sc_postcard-a_dream_of_paradise.jpg&

Anyone still not getting the racist connotations of using only fried chicken outlets for this complete waste of time and money? Or just Tony?

**** me VT. Sometimes.

Edit: I think I picked the illustrations that wouldn't get me banned/warned etc feel free to search for really nasty ones - there's worse out there. 

And Tony, do you honestly think my opinions are forged on twitter?

As for the talking point motive you're probably bang on the money, but to think like that I suppose you'd have to agree it would only cause a stink by obviously being labelled as a bit racist. Otherwise the talking point would be of a standard raised by twitter or some-such surely?

It's definitely a communication problem that will be solved by dialogue though eh. Good job it's not rooted in socio-economic issues or something complicated.

I’m not suggesting your opinions are forged by Twitter , it’s more a general comment on how that medium tends to be the one that starts non issues trending creates offence when non is needed ...: Morley’s ( chicken outlets) already ran this campaign earlier in the year , it was deemed successful hence they are expanding it , only this time around someone has decided it’s a racial stereotype against black people .. maybe KFC should remove the black people  eating chicken from their advertising campaigns whilst we are at it ... or maybe people should just stop looking for offence when there isn’t any ....

young people tend to like fried chicken , young people tend to be involved in knife crime ...  not much point in running the thing on boxes of take away pheasant from Fortnum And  Masons  is there ? 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, peterms said:

Ah, but it's not just fried chicken outlets, as you can learn here.  They are also targetting the Notting Hill Carnival.  And to wean people off a life of knife crime, they are suggesting they take up boxing or music instead.  If you think this is racist stereotyping, I can only say, er, yes, I guess it is.

You mean Notting Hill Carnival that is for white, middle-class liberals box ticking black culture ... yeah that’s definitely racist in it’s targeting 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

take away pheasant boxes from Fortnum And  Masons

Is that what southerners each after one and half glasses of the finest shandy? I really imagined it would be a fois gras melt

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Are chicken shops just one element they are targeting and this bit has been picked up by people desperate to be offended or is their entire campaign targeting only chicken shops? 

It seems like that's the only type of fast food outlet for which they are going.

They are also having teams go around to 'convenience stores, hair salons and barber shops' (I suppose one of the team remembers seeing an episode of Desmond's when they were younger?).

Special #knifefree chicken boxes launched across the country

More than 321,000 chicken boxes that feature the Home Office #knifefree campaign have been distributed to over 210 outlets in England and Wales.

The boxes will replace the standard packaging in both independent and branch owned chicken shops, including Morley’s, Chicken Cottage and Dixy Chicken. Many of the participating shops will also have screens showing the #knifefree campaign.

In addition, new #knifefree street teams will be visiting convenience stores, hair salons and barber shops as well as places of worship and community centres across London, Manchester and Birmingham.

knifefree adverts have also been running at music festivals over the summer, including Wireless and Lovebox, and will be running at Notting Hill Carnival.

...more details on link

It might not be quite so crass as it looks but it appears, at best, to show a lack of thought.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, snowychap said:

More than 321,000 chicken boxes that feature the Home Office #knifefree campaign have been distributed to over 210 outlets in England and Wales.

Thats approx 1500 boxes per establishment and I doubt they've distributed to more chicken outlets than exist in Liverpool, hell I'd say Wavertree and Toxteth alone would take up 25% of the quota, chicken shops are like hairdressers round here, open and shut , then open under a new name every three weeks.

It's not really that serious a campaign regardless of any racism. Less than a months supply of boxes to a mere fraction of outlets

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I’m not suggesting your opinions are forged by Twitter , it’s more a general comment on how that medium tends to be the one that starts non issues trending creates offence when non is needed ...: 

Problem with this argument for me Tony, is that if you remove twitter from the equation all together it's still a racial stereotype. Take 'the beast' argument from an emotive on topic for instance, I stay well away from that one, I get the argument (that it's denegrative and seemingly applied disproportionately) and I don't necessarily disagree but it's also not as cut and dried as that imho and I've never seen much evidence past people's perceptions. It can be and is applied to people of all colours for one, but the perception may not be borne out by the facts and figures. I'd like to see figures on proportion of athletes described as 'a beast' split by ethnicity and then run against proportion of footballers who are big muscly bar stewards like Mings and then against the number of players by ethnicity and so on. I feel with that if there was a white boxer with the Joshua physique he would quickly be labelled 'a beast' and so on. There's a grey area open for discussion. Perhaps your point about Twitter might be better suited to that sort of discussion where your points would, in my opinion, carry some weight of validity.

But language doesn't follow simple rules. It also evolves. As a British person I've often been referred to as a 'Brit' and that abbreviation of my country's name causes me no offence whatsoever. My mate from Pakistan however.......And presumably we understand and accept why that is. (And hopefully without the faux outrage at 'not being allowed to say things anymore'). If the 4 letter abbreviation has been used hatefully, denegratively in a historical context what's fine for one person (us Brits) is not therefore alright across the board. Same goes for the issue raised about the Chinese restaurants in Worcester and the language used to refer to them recently in another thread.

Morley’s ( chicken outlets) already ran this campaign earlier in the year , it was deemed successful hence they are expanding it

Deemed by who and successful in what way?
(You don't honestly believe this do you?)

only this time around someone has decided it’s a racial stereotype against black people

No, it IS a racial stereotype. Some guy on twitter hasn't decided that for anyone. The America of the Jim Crow era and the ruling classes that dealt in slavery decided it's fate in that regard. The thing that 'someone has decided' off their own bat was to base this campaign around fried chicken products.

And is that, as a standalone issue a racist move? Putting an advert in a fried chicken box? Well, no, of course not. But to ignore the realities of the situation in London where stop and search powers are used disproportionately against people from ethnic minorities for example, it's hardly a massive stretch to see why the human beings targetted in such a way might wonder why (and I say again) THE ONLY takeaway food that could possibly cause offense was chosen? Do it in pizza boxes/McDonalds boxes/chip paper and there's literally no issue. The only one that could possibly cause offense was the only one chosen. If people feel that is by mistake or oversight I respectfully disagree.

That any small trial did not receive similar media coverage is not surprising in the slightest, was almost definitely by design and has no bearing whatsoever on the point of racial stereotyping. The idea that it happened before and no one made a fuss therefore it adds weight to my its-not-racist argument is simply laughable.

.. maybe KFC should remove the black people  eating chicken from their advertising campaigns whilst we are at it

You're just being silly now and quite frankly, you're better than this.

... or maybe people should just stop looking for offence when there isn’t any ....

When that's applicable I'll be agreeing with you. Probably in the form of a Steve Hughes clip.

young people tend to like fried chicken , young people tend to be involved in knife crime

I think that's about as deep as the justification behind this campaign gets. 0/10 WNB

not much point in running the thing on boxes of take away pheasant from Fortnum And Masons is there ?

I would say your campaign would be just as effective as this one will be. I don't think you needed the last 7 words.

Edited by VILLAMARV
Lazy phrasing
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, colhint said:

Funny old paper the guardian isn't it.

Bipolar.

Traditionally left leaning but owned offshore by people that don't think they should pay tax.

• Haha 1

Â