The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Well I would say how they are willing to not negotiate on the old deal is bullying in us in accepting What s best for them and not for the UK.

The EU is a club. It has rules, ostensibly the four freedoms. If we don’t want to follow those rules we leave the club. The EU is under no obligation to compromise its rules to accommodate a former member. That’s not bullying, we decided to leave, now we’ll suffer the consequences. The La La land that was promised by the brexiters was always a pipe dream.

• Like 2

Just now, meregreen said:

The EU is a club. It has rules, ostensibly the four freedoms. If we don’t want to follow those rules we leave the club. The EU is under no obligation to compromise its rules to accommodate a former member. That’s not bullying, we decided to leave, now we’ll suffer the consequences. The La La land that was promised by the brexiters was always a pipe dream.

Yeah can't disagree with the part about the consequences.  We have no one but ourselves to blame in that respect. 

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Well I would say how they are willing to not negotiate on the old deal is bullying in us in accepting What s best for them and not for the UK.

On top of @meregreen's excellent point, it isn’t a deal, it’s the withdrawal agreement, it’s the rules of how BOTH parties behave whilst a deal is discussed between us and the EU and it was drawn up in discussions between us and them. It’s not something they’ve said this is it, do this. It was drawn up with with our needs and theirs in mind. Parliament thinks it’s shit and so do the British people but for different reasons. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I think unfortunately due to a lack of research by many, although it is not hard, and also the influence of part of our main stream predominately right wing media, a lot of people do think like this and believe that the EU are the bad guys in all this and that they are bullies and we, the UK, are the innocent party here.

The bottom line is we were the ones who decided to leave. The emphasis was on us not them to come up with a means to make that as painless as possible. The last 3 years have shown we initially went into the negotiations with absolutely no idea how we were going to get from the position of wanting to leave to then actually leaving. 

I think this whole mess is summed up by the fact that the biggest issue for a lot of politicians with the withdrawal agreement is the Irish backstop and that was a UK proposal so f all to do with those big bad bullies the EU.

If you are in any doubt as to whether this whole leaving the EU is a good idea or not or are unsure of who the bad guys in all this may be look at the abhorrent characters of the mob promoting it. Johnson, Raab, Patel, Farncois, Farage, Banks ....etc etc

This whole thing is a massive mess that even those with the wildest imaginations could not have made up.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Jesus Christ. 

Just a reminder that everyone's vote is counted the same (well, unless you live in a safe seat, but let's not go there).

**** horrifying isn't it? 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Xann said:

Ian Hislop on Capital Punishment

Can't work out if Priti Patel actually believes all this crap, or has adopted various positions to boost her "tough right-wing" credentials, which she'll be willing to compromise on as a minister. Worth noting that she has apparently dropped her commitment to the death penalty in recent years.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Why should they care about what's best for the UK?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

if a wife offers to buy a house and the selling party agrees to it do you think they will happily to re-open negotiations and pay more fees when the husband thinks he can get a better deal for them? not a chance, we've effectively shook hands, unless boris can sell them a deal that is better for both of us then nothing will change

the one thing that's not really talked about in the UK is just how much money we have spent negotiating and delaying Brexit and that's before you then try and quantify the time and look at what they could have achieved, I think the EU probably have a better idea of it, its an unwanted and costly distraction that they will now try and spend as little time as possible on

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not even about that though. No deal is shit for them not just UK.

All parties need to come up with a compromise where the damage limitation is not pure carnage as no deal would be.

56 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think unfortunately due to a lack of research by many, although it is not hard, and also the influence of part of our main stream predominately right wing media, a lot of people do think like this and believe that the EU are the bad guys in all this and that they are bullies and we, the UK, are the innocent party here.

The bottom line is we were the ones who decided to leave. The emphasis was on us not them to come up with a means to make that as painless as possible. The last 3 years have shown we initially went into the negotiations with absolutely no idea how we were going to get from the position of wanting to leave to then actually leaving. 

I think this whole mess is summed up by the fact that the biggest issue for a lot of politicians with the withdrawal agreement is the Irish backstop and that was a UK proposal so f all to do with those big bad bullies the EU.

If you are in any doubt as to whether this whole leaving the EU is a good idea or not or are unsure of who the bad guys in all this may be look at the abhorrent characters of the mob promoting it. Johnson, Raab, Patel, Farncois, Farage, Banks ....etc etc

This whole thing is a massive mess that even those with the wildest imaginations could not have made up.

None of these clowns knew how hard it would be taking the UK out. Now we are all doing what a utter shit show this whole episode has been.

Both main parties failed the public and didn't explain the consequences in simple enough terms to people. I voted in because I just didn't trust enough of the two main parties to be capable of taking us out and make the UK better than it was outside the EU.

The biggest winner out of all this will be farage. You see so many fools harping on about the brexit party but you never hear anything they plan to do once we come out.

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Not even about that though. No deal is shit for them not just UK.

All parties need to come up with a compromise where the damage limitation is not pure carnage as no deal would be.

They did. It's still pretty rubbish, but there's no version of this shambles that isn't rubbish.

What does a different compromise look like to you?

4 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

They did. It's still pretty rubbish, but there's no version of this shambles that isn't rubbish.

What does a different compromise look like to you?

A compromise for me would be let the existing format for Ireland remain as it is.

Britain pays the divorce bill as we call it whoever for that figure we should still.obtain some of the benefits we currently get without being tied in.

I agree it is rubbish - we are better staying in without question. All these people I hear when talking to them saying let's leave with no deal will be better . I always ask how?? 

Then the usual response is we make our own.laws 🙄

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

A compromise for me would be let the existing format for Ireland remain as it is.

DUP will reject it. And remember why the DUP have a say? Theresa May called an early election, for political reasons,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

DUP will reject it. And remember why the DUP have a say? Theresa May called an early election, for political reasons,

Yep. That was perhaps the dumbest move I can remember. May was a terrible PM

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Britain pays the divorce bill as we call it whoever for that figure we should still.obtain some of the benefits we currently get without being tied in.

I agree it is rubbish - we are better staying in without question. All these people I hear when talking to them saying let's leave with no deal will be better . I always ask how?? 

Then the usual response is we make our own.laws 🙄

Sounds easy until you realise that we plan to do trade deals with countries whose standards aren't recognised by EU, you get a defacto border in the irish sea to protect the single market. NI ceases to be part of the UK, economically speaking. For that reason, the solution has been problematic for the DUP and anyone who gives a shit about keeping the UK together as it exists now.

4 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Sounds easy until you realise that we plan to do trade deals with countries whose standards aren't recognised by EU, you get a defacto border in the irish sea to protect the single market. NI ceases to be part of the UK, economically speaking. For that reason, the solution has been problematic for the DUP and anyone who gives a shit about keeping the UK together as it exists now.

You know that was one of the first things I was talking to my friends about when Cameron said he was going to do a vote on this - how the he'll do you deal with Ireland if we went out.

I can't see what the hell the solution is going to be if we were to leave.

What would peoples reactions here be if there is a u-turn and we stayed in?

Â