The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Priti Patel's views on Home Affairs..

One more.  She is in charge of security.

On her trip to Israel, during her many illicit meetings, she proposed diverting UK funding for humanitarian aid, to give it to the Isareli forces illegally occupying the Golan Heights.

The "humanitarian aid" Israel carries out there is giving medical assistance to wounded al-Qaeda fighters so they can return to the fight.

Recently, two parents were proscuted for giving money to their son, because there was a good chance the money would end up supporting terrorism.

They were prosecuted under the Terrorism Act 2000, which makes it a criminal offence punishable by up to 14 years in prison to transfer money where there is “reasonable cause to suspect that it will or may be used for the purposes of terrorism”.

Patel should be charged with conspiracy to commit the same offence (but on a far grander scale).

Wholly unsuited for any public office.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Parliament as it stands will prevent us leaving on October 31st without a deal

There are only two ways they can be sure of doing that: voting for a deal or passing legislation to revoke A50.

I think what will happen is a similar deal to Mays will be given and the public will be asked to either accept that deal or remain in the EU.

I think that will be fair to be honest as those that voted out were mislead or not told the whole truth of the implications of leaving.

43 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think what will happen is a similar deal to Mays will be given and the public will be asked to either accept that deal or remain in the EU.

I think that will be fair to be honest as those that voted out were mislead or not told the whole truth of the implications of leaving.

It can only be the same deal. The EU have been clear and consistent in saying the WA is not up for renegotiation.

I think there are three options. Remain, leave with May's Deal, leave with no deal.

I'm getting more and more afraid that it will be the latter option that we take.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

"I'm glad Johnson is PM. He's so funny!"

I've heard this more than once from colleagues since I got back to work this week.

Scary.

You're not the only one. And I think people need to accept that despite his complete lack of substance that makes him a derisory figure to most of us who post here, the idea of him winning a GE isn't as far fetched as some make out. People dismissed Farage and Trump.

4 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

You're not the only one. And I think people need to accept that despite his complete lack of substance that makes him a derisory figure to most of us who post here, the idea of him winning a GE isn't as far fetched as some make out. People dismissed Farage and Trump.

Yep I agree. I think he would win. Unfortunately.

"He loves this country" was another one a colleague threw at me.

I didn't hold back in letting her know that that word removed loves nobody except himself.

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It can only be the same deal. The EU have been clear and consistent in saying the WA is not up for renegotiation.

I think there are three options. Remain, leave with May's Deal, leave with no deal.

I'm getting more and more afraid that it will be the latter option that we take.

They may make some "amendments" so he can call it his deal but I think if we look at logically your correct those do seem like the only options.

If those are the options then it ha stop be remain.

No deal is just pure carnage

Mays deal is a crap version of being out but having the shit points if still being in eu

Remains not perfect but it's certainly better than the other two options.

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Overall, her views on immigration are okay. Australian rather than Trumpian, although it'll be interesting to see how she handles refugees / asylum seekers, as I think this is where some nastier policies and practices could creep in. Also, I think you can never satisfy the electorate on immigration, so implementing all of these changes could be the start of a slippery slope.

nice post, empathy for the insomnia.

On this though, what's the distinction you're making here? Australia's treatment of certain migrants is as appalling as the US. If not worse. Check out the involvement of Group4 on Narau and Manus a few years back.

And for the second point check out the EU's immigration policy and what's happening in Italy and the rest of the Med. (That's totally Faragian btw ;) )We'll do that until/if we leave the EU.

If we do leave then think Group4/Australia/EU/US/reception centres and "irregular migrants" and I'm sure you'll start to lose interest.

My god, what a vacuous load of old bollocks from Johnson in his first go as PM at the despatch box.

Some people will undoubtedly love it for that but it's an indicator of just how shit this show is going to be.

Edited by snowychap

The Commons Library: When might an early general election take place?

We should know the outcome of the Conservative Leadership election on Tuesday 23 July. We can expect this to lead to a change of Prime Minister shortly thereafter.

The new Prime Minister will (almost certainly) lead a minority government. Would that government have the confidence of the House of Commons? This is open to question and may depend upon its (anticipated) policy platform. A motion of no confidence may be tabled and voted upon to test whether the House does in fact have confidence in the Government. If this happens, and if such a motion passes, the UK may then be heading for an early general election under the provisions of the Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011.

This Insight gives two illustrative examples of how the timetable might operate for an early general election. Scenario 1 gives an indicative timetable if MPs vote on a motion of no confidence after summer recess. Scenario 2 explains what could happen if the votes took place before summer recess.

Unless Article 50 is extended again, the UK unilaterally revokes Article 50, or a deal has been ratified by the UK and the EU, the UK leaves the EU by automatic operation of law at 11pm on 31 October 2019.

Could the election be delayed or set for a later date?

The Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011 gives the Prime Minister broad legal discretion about when an early general election should take place. Although the Crown sets a date, it is on the recommendation of the Prime Minister. In Scenario 1, for example, the Prime Minister could, as a matter of law, recommend a date later than Thursday 24 October, such as Thursday 7 November.

...full details on link

Edited by snowychap

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

My god, what a vacuous load of old bollocks from Johnson in his first go as PM at the despatch box.

Some people will undoubtedly love it for that but it's an indicator of just how shit this show is going to be.

Oh you're such a doomster...why don't you just believe a little more!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Oh you're such a doomster...why don't you just believe a little more!

A doomster and a gloomster and necessarily so seeing the Ministry of all the Talentless (not my phrase) that has been unleashed.

Such a bunch of mendacious, self-serving disgraces has rarely been gathered in one room as happpened when the Cabinet got together today.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

nice post, empathy for the insomnia.

On this though, what's the distinction you're making here? Australia's treatment of certain migrants is as appalling as the US. If not worse. Check out the involvement of Group4 on Narau and Manus a few years back.

And for the second point check out the EU's immigration policy and what's happening in Italy and the rest of the Med. (That's totally Faragian btw ;) )We'll do that until/if we leave the EU.

If we do leave then think Group4/Australia/EU/US/reception centres and "irregular migrants" and I'm sure you'll start to lose interest.

Thank you :) 

Good question re: Australia. The distinction I was drawing was between Australia and Trump, and what I meant (when I wrote it) was that Australia has a coherent system which mostly achieves its goals (whether you agree with those goals or not), whereas Trump is all about big, rabble-rousing gimmicks that aren't well thought out (travel ban, border wall).

But you're right to question the distinction, because Australia's treatment of asylum seekers has been appalling.

I guess I was just pleased to see that they had something coherent worked out. Much better than Cameron and May's approach, which was too focused on the headline net migration figure (which is meaningless really), and led to some bizarre decisions, like reducing numbers of foreign university students.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

"I'm glad Johnson is PM. He's so funny!"

I've heard this more than once from colleagues since I got back to work this week.

Scary.

Blame social media and reality TV shows. 

Politics as we knew it is finished. 

• Like 4

Â