The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

4 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

If that's how they're going to play this they're daring the likes of hammond, letwin etc to vote against them in VONC

And I'm not sure they care.

If we look at the timetable as set out by House of Commons Library in the link I posted earlier (and if it's still all correct - taking in to account the Anderson amendment to the NI Executive Bill/Act)  then a VONC that this government loses may well lead to an election happening after 31st October.

The Tories aren't going to lose a VONC yet anyway. I keep seeing that the Tories 'have a majority of two' but this misses that some of the 'independents' are aligned with them (Elphicke, Hermon) or may not vote No Confidence anyway (Field, Austin, Woodcock). Stephen Bush, who usually keeps a pretty reliable track of these things, definitely doesn't think it would be winnable:

Given the point @snowychap makes about the timetable for an election through a VONC, and the reality that a VONC is unlikely to be won until nearly party conference season, I don't see an election happening this way. 

It remains possible that Boris will *decide* to call an election, if he thinks it might win him a mandate, but it seems unlikely to me. It seems to me that Parliamentary chicanery and/or a loss of nerve in Number 10 are all that remains as potential ways to avoid No Deal, and even they aren't for certain. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The Tories aren't going to lose a VONC yet anyway. I keep seeing that the Tories 'have a majority of two' but this misses that some of the 'independents' are aligned with them (Elphicke, Hermon) or may not vote No Confidence anyway (Field, Austin, Woodcock). Stephen Bush, who usually keeps a pretty reliable track of these things, definitely doesn't think it would be winnable:

Given the point @snowychap makes about the timetable for an election through a VONC, and the reality that a VONC is unlikely to be won until nearly party conference season, I don't see an election happening this way. 

It remains possible that Boris will *decide* to call an election, if he thinks it might win him a mandate, but it seems unlikely to me. It seems to me that Parliamentary chicanery and/or a loss of nerve in Number 10 are all that remains as potential ways to avoid No Deal, and even they aren't for certain. 

I think it's actually becoming pretty clear as to the plan. And it's a pretty good one, once you remove things like morality or the future of the country from the equation.

Go full hard line now. Unhinged, sociopathic cabinet. Ultra hard rhetoric on the plan. Shout loudly about loads of stuff that they know will be rejected out of hand. 

August - find that their demands are unsurprisingly rejected. "Fine now, we go full on no-deal. It's on". Parliament stops it after recess. VONC, legislation forcing an extension, whatever they need to do. TeamJohnson inwardly - "phew". Outwardly - "treacherous Parliament! Will of the people! Election! Vote Boris to get what Parliament is denying you!"

September - election, NF Party rendered irrelevant either via an unofficial pact or just by adapting the same rhetoric anyway. Small Tory majority, ditch the DUP, checks in the Irish Sea as per original plan A, "short technical extension" for legislation and they get the thing that they wanted from the beginning. 

Which will be rubbish obviously, but then it was always going to be rubbish. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

September - election

Dissolution takes place 25 working days before the election, no?

So they'd have to recall parliament in August and push for an early election for it to be in September, wouldn't they?

1 minute ago, TheAuthority said:

Slightly OT but am I the only one wondering why someone is playing the Imperial March from Star Wars really badly on a xylophone in the background of that interview?

There's been someone there playing all sorts for the last couple of days. It's been in the background of pretty much every TV interview that's taken place. Not quite sure they've got the timing as right as in the above clip before, though!

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Not quite sure they've got the timing as right as in the above clip before, though!

Blimey, it must have been beyond appalling before. Why don't they interview them somewhere else.

Actually I'm past caring. Carry on.

4 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Blimey, it must have been beyond appalling before. Why don't they interview them somewhere else.

Actually I'm past caring. Carry on.

I can't work out whether news networks just think the backdrop is worth the inconvenience, or if they think his tinkling provides some indispensable 'almost like I was there' atmosphere, but CNN broadcast Johnson's new cabinet with that plinkety-plonking in the background for hours on end last night. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I can't work out whether news networks just think the backdrop is worth the inconvenience, or if they think his tinkling provides some indispensable 'almost like I was there' atmosphere, but CNN broadcast Johnson's new cabinet with that plinkety-plonking in the background for hours on end last night. 

Where else are they going to do it?

I don't imagine that there's any other spot where the media can take over in the kind of way that they have with such immediate access to parliamentarians and the commentariat. Even if there were, it's a public space, innit? Free for people to make (within reason) whatever noise they want.

7 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Where else are they going to do it?

I don't imagine that there's any other spot where the media can take over in the kind of way that they have with such immediate access to parliamentarians and the commentariat. Even if there were, it's a public space, innit? Free for people to make (within reason) whatever noise they want.

No disputing that they have the right to be there and make whatever sound they want, but absolutely none of CNN's coverage needed to be held outdoors last night, so I don't really see the point in doing so. 

Â