The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

22 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Largely because they're shit.

You give this guy 'a chance' and he'll **** half your family and **** over the other half.

Which politician isn't shit out of curiosity? 

19 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It's not 'moaning' - it's criticism.

It's criticism based on who he is, what he plans to do and who he has appointed to help him do that.

If you don't like that criticism then respond to it. Just saying 'give him a chance' is worse than tiresome.

So what do suggest we do then? You don't know what the plans are none of us do.

Let's see what he does. May made a collosal mess out of it let's see What Boris can give us.

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This kind of flattening ('all politicians are liars') is particularly useful for the worst people in power, since it means people won't give them adequate scrutiny. I don't agree that 'all politicians are liars', except in as much as all politicians are people, and all people tell lies every now and then. Some are more honest and better at their jobs than others; don't flatten things so that even the most reprehensible politicians are no different from any others. 

Perhaps but the people at the top in my experience are all liars including Boris with his campaign to get us out.

I have little faith in any of them sadly. But even if Corbyn came in I'd still give him a chance before saying he is shit or God help us etc.

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Any politicians that are not liars? I haven't come across one that hasn't yet.

That's such an inaccurate and unhelpful stereotype.  It's repeated over and over, ironically enough, by the press, who lie far more than politicians.

We should distinguish between several different things.  There is the planned, deliberate attempt to deceive by flat-out lying, as propounded by Goebbels and practised by Trump and Johnson.  There is saying something and failing to do it, and I think May's "tackling burning injustices" probably falls in this category - she failed to define it clearly, focus on it, allocate resources and give it political priority, but I don't think she said it meaning never to do anything about it.  I see it as an administrative failure, and an indication of relative political priorities, as well as the consequence of events, but not a deliberate lie.  There is the dismal stonewalling of questions by uttering words which aim to give the impression of answering without even attempting to address the question, and May is again a good example - it's deceitful on one level, but it's a quite different thing than flat-out lies.  There is the attempt to reframe questions by trying to get an interview on ground the politican wants to talk about, or to challenge the frame set out by the questioner, and this seems entirely fair game to me.

These things are not at all the same.  Very few politicians are habitual liars in the way that Trump and Johnson are, and it doesn't advance anyone's understanding of what is happening to fall for the lazy journo's bar-room cliche.

• Like 2

Just now, peterms said:

That's such an inaccurate and unhelpful stereotype.  It's repeated over and over, ironically enough, by the press, who lie far more than politicians.

We should distinguish between several different things.  There is the planned, deliberate attempt to deceive by flat-out lying, as propounded by Goebbels and practised by Trump and Johnson.  There is saying something and failing to do it, and I think May's "tackling burning injustices" probably falls in this category - she failed to define it clearly, focus on it, allocate resources and give it political priority, but I don't think she said it meaning never to do anything about it.  I see it as an administrative failure, and an indication of relative political priorities, as well as the consequence of events, but not a deliberate lie.  There is the dismal stonewalling of questions by uttering words which aim to give the impression of answering without even attempting to address the question, and May is again a good example - it's deceitful on one level, but it's a quite different thing than flat-out lies.  There is the attempt to reframe questions by trying to get an interview on ground the politican wants to talk about, or to challenge the frame set out by the questioner, and this seems entirely fair game to me.

These things are not at all the same.  Very few politicians are habitual liars in the way that Trump and Johnson are, and it doesn't advance anyone's understanding of what is happening to fall for the lazy journo's bar-room cliche.

So what's the difference then when on here people all slate the conservative party Peter? Or the same with Labour? Your generosity the whole party even if there are honest politicians in their respected parties.

In my experience they are liars and haven't been able to keep their promises.

I do agree with your point about the media though.

On 24/07/2019 at 10:10, VILLAMARV said:

It's ok though, everyone's going to be working through the stages of grief at their own pace - denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.

is this the bargaining phase? :)

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

So what's the difference then when on here people all slate the conservative party Peter? Or the same with Labour?

I see people expressing very clearly that they disagree strongly with the values and policies of various parties, but I don't see people saying (and seeming to believe) that all politicians of a certain party are habitual liars.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Can you give us any examples of this EU “bullying”

Well I would say how they are willing to not negotiate on the old deal is bullying in us in accepting What s best for them and not for the UK.

Â