The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

19 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

14 out.

Building a cabinet of Yes men and women.

Well I'm in all favour of that as most if them have been pretty useless. 

Gove is going to be his no 2 isn't he?

Patels a witch God.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

These two post made me wonder whether if there's another hung parliament, there might not be more chance of a condition being made by minor parties for their support to depend on a proper PR referendum. Probably not, given how referenda have been somewhat discredited, but basically all parties apart from the tories are at least not opposed completely to PR.

In 2010/11, I spoke to a few people who'd fought the successful referendum campaign in New Zealand, where they switched from first past the post to the form of PR used in Germany.

Their view was that the arguments around electoral reform were usually too complicated to discuss with voters, and there were usually too many vested interests in favour of the status quo... unless you had some really perverse outcomes on a national scale that demonstrated to everyone that the current system wasn't working. New Zealand reformed after they'd experienced two elections in a row where the party that came second on vote share had won a majority.

I don't think the UK's AV referendum happened at the right time or came about in the right way. The PM was the leader of the party with the most votes, and as far as most people were concerned, that was a fair outcome. The referendum was very much seen as something Clegg had squeezed out of Cameron, to improve his own party's fortunes, rather than an altruistic endeavour to improve the system.

What would change minds is if there were a completely insane outcome - e.g. a party comes 2nd or 3rd on vote share, and wins the most seats. Then we might get some mainstream consensus among both voters and parliamentarians that electoral reform should be revisited.

It will have to be a cross-party consensus, though, not a reluctant concession to a junior coalition partner. That makes it pretty unlikely, since I can't think of many issues that attract cross-party support nowadays.

On the flipside, Boris may just win a landslide, and it'll all be forgotten about for another generation, as happened when Blair promised PR in 1997.

• Like 2

Â