The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

12 minutes ago, El Zen said:

and the words aren’t just rhetoric - they’re truth.

Absolutely. She's arguing a position she believes, and cares about.

Compare it to the dry, monotonous speech-by-committee we get from the leader of the opposition, or the unprepared waffling and contradictions from our prime minister. She shows them both up by comparison if this speech is anything to go by.

• Like 1

The SNP, the party that often complains about all the years of Tory rule but delivered 18 years of it in 1979 by doing a deal with Thatcher to bring down the Callaghan Government in a VONC

AKA the Tartan Tories

As Callaghan said at the time, the turkeys that voted for Christmas.

Thats my problem with the SNP, the independence issue aside, there’s nothing that binds them together. Some of them I like, some I don’t and if they gained independence they’d be arguing like rats in a sack for a very long time.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

The SNP, the party that often complains about all the years of Tory rule but delivered 18 years of it in 1979 by doing a deal with Thatcher to bring down the Callaghan Government in a VONC

AKA the Tartan Tories

Is there a statute of limitations with these things? 43 years seems a long time. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Is there a statute of limitations with these things? 43 years seems a long time. 

OK, imagine the situation a few years hence. Labour are in running the country in a minority government where they have a similar supply and confidence deal with the SNP to the one the Tories had with the DUP. Not exactly that far fetched a situation, I don't think. The Labour government isn't getting instant results at sorting out the mess the Tories left the UK in.

The Tories then realise that Scotland is lost to them (because it is), so they offer the SNP a binding referendum if they'll vote with them in a VONC. (The Tories have form for this too)

Which way do the SNP go?

I know where I'd put my money.

Just like the Liberals / LibDems would sell their own children for the mearest sniff of power (thats been the Lib way as long as I've had an interest in politics) the SNP would do the same, I have no doubt. Scottish Independence is what they want and that is fair enough but they'll go with anything they think can deliver that.

And I genuinely do think once they'd achieved it, they would implode

I don't think any of the main Parties have changed their spots much in the last 50 years

Tories - just being Tories but more extreme as time goes on

Labour - riven by infighting and only ever stand a chance of being elected when the centrists can subdue the left to the point of irrelevance

Libs - the sniffers of the knickers of power.

SNP - sell their soul to the devil for independence

That has been the way for 50 years and isn't showing any signs of changing

• Like 1

The thing is, if you’re in an arrangement with a minority partner so you can stay in power perhaps you shouldn’t stiff them on the deal.

The SNP were promised a devolved assembly referendum, at the last minute Labour added a clause that not only did the result require a traditional majority of 50% + 1 vote, but they added that 40% of the electorate had to vote.

If you’re going to try and stiff a partner its probably best to try and work out what the consequences might be for your minority government.

59 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The thing is, if you’re in an arrangement with a minority partner so you can stay in power perhaps you shouldn’t stiff them on the deal.

The SNP were promised a devolved assembly referendum, at the last minute Labour added a clause that not only did the result require a traditional majority of 50% + 1 vote, but they added that 40% of the electorate had to vote.

If you’re going to try and stiff a partner its probably best to try and work out what the consequences might be for your minority government.

Yes, I sort of see that but due to that they had to wait another 18 years until Labour got elected again for there to be a Scottish Assembly. The Tories they supported, never gave them a sniff

And a 40% turnout is hardly a very high bar for a referendum that would fundamentally change government (yes I also realise there was an issue with the electoral role too)

Nadine Dorries gave testimony that 96% of a consultation group support the privatisation of Channel 4. In actuality it was 96% against. How does someone so monumentally stupid get into her position? It's truly unbelievable.

The stand in Met chief had a well rehearsed political answer to the question about him only getting 1 fine when asked last night.

“Along the lines of we check all circumstances and the rules at the time which changed a lot blah blah blah”.

We need to know if people got fines for the BYOB garden party, and if so why the PM didn’t. What criteria did they use to decide one person was fined and another wasn’t. Same for the other 8 events, if BJ was present, why did he escape a fine?

A restaurant owner said he was £4000 for a small meal (as he described it) which almost put him out of business. Parties at number 10 only generated £50 fines. Why?

Edited by Genie

1 hour ago, Straggler said:

Met Police really going the extra mile to look like an old boys club. Why does everything have to be so predictably shit?

Who would have thought that the MET would give an easy ride to their boss's boss who controls their entire budget.

Â