The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

2 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

household prices are never going to reach the cap.

They are currently set at the cap. The government is currently sending 66 quid a month to account holders. 

edit: And I believe, also, (though unrelated) that the standing daily charge which has gone up a heck of a lot since March, that the increase is to effectively recover the losses accrued by the Gov't having to bail out Bulb. And also that the Gov't by refusing to allow the Bulb admin to hedge gas prices has cost itself a fortune. They're **** useless.

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

They will be further help beyond that but I expect it will be more targetted

They have said more targeted so I am expecting I'll get **** all. I'm glad I upped my direct debit, probably incorrectly, as I should hopefully accumulate a substantial excess in the summer to see us through the following winter. Hopefully by then some sort of permanent solution will have been found. 

46 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

It'd be nice if it was done in tiers, like income tax.

As a small business owner, I could end up in deep shit with that rise coming on top of all my other cost increases.

Being a Ltd company, we got practically no help during Covid either - only the offer of a long-term loan.

"The party of business"? **** rocket polishers.

It's your own fault for not being friends with a minister.

Could have done quite well out of it

5 minutes ago, blandy said:

They are currently set at the cap. The government is currently sending 66 quid a month to account holders. 

edit: And I believe, also, (though unrelated) that the standing daily charge which has gone up a heck of a lot since March, that the increase is to effectively recover the losses accrued by the Gov't having to bail out Bulb. And also that the Gov't by refusing to allow the Bulb admin to hedge gas prices has cost itself a fortune. They're **** useless.

Apologies, yes. It went up to £2,500 at the start of this month instead of £3,500, didn't it? Looks like what I was reading actually said that the guarantee was expected to become cost free imminently because of the huge decline in wholesale costs.

Yeah, you're right about the standing charges going up a lot. But while the costs for bailing out all the energy companies are passed onto the surviving ones that that will factor into the rises, apparently companies just get to choose what standing charge they want to charge people and this sits outside the standard cap. So it varies heavily from provider to provider.

Standing charges are a daily fee for gas and electricity customers and are added to your bill regardless of how much energy you use. Ofgem does not set a limit on this part of your bill – it is down to suppliers how they break down unit and standing charge prices below its overall cap.

58 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

It'd be nice if it was done in tiers, like income tax.

As a small business owner, I could end up in deep shit with that rise coming on top of all my other cost increases.

Being a Ltd company, we got practically no help during Covid either - only the offer of a long-term loan.

"The party of business"? **** rocket polishers.

Yeah I lost my business because of the impacts of Covid. No help at all other than to furlough, which meant a choice of a little bit of income while operating, or no income while furloughed. Insurance costs rose during that time by 50%, and there were no payment holidays obtainable for us. Either pay, or be uninsured, and lose backdated insurance/warranty for works undertaken. Those were my options. I'm sure someone somewhere got some help, but it wasn't us. Insurance costs killed us in the end. Now I have......a Boss! (Bleurgh)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jim said:

Truss apparently sending in Penny to answer UQ from Labour.

Sounds  ominous

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

Not sure where you're getting this info from? The current predictions are that the price cap will cost the government nothing this winter because wholesale prices have fallen far enough that household prices are never going to reach the cap.

From the chancellor 

Edited by PaulC

1 hour ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Election Maps on Twitter are teasing a Redfield & Wilton that is due to come out at 5pm, which to me suggest one (or some combination) of three things - 1) Tories below 20%, 2) Labour above 60%, or 3) Lib Dems surge to second.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I did think after my post that "Biggest lead since/bigger lead than 1997" could be what it was referring to. I also think this line in the article may be part of why Election Maps were saying it was so big;

After weighting by likelihood to vote, more respondents say they do not know how they would vote (17%) than say they would vote Conservative (16%).

Also, Tories Fourth...

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

So Liz dodges the urgent question because she’s got something super important and super secret that no one can know about. Turns up for the speech by her new chancellor, answers no questions and quickly exits before any can be asked back to the super secret bunker.

Any amusing guesses what the super secret and super important “thing” is?

It could be like the wizard of oz but she’ll need “all of the above” won’t she? Courage, a brain and a heart!

Â