Aston Villa Home Support

Gary Thomas

This links Banners out on 74.  Will fans sat in the Doug Ellis and Trinity to get behind the protest?  I sit in the Doug Ellis sometimes with my lad and it is like an unwritten rule that fans do not sing in there.  No idea why, and I don't really get it, but it is what it is and if you try to sing you’ll often be on your own.  Do people think fans in those parts of the ground will wake from their slumber to support/get behind the protest plans by joining in with chants, banners, whatever?

• 1 month later...

Probably more about away support, but nice to read......

Aston Villa fans give 'nice lesson' on 'descent into hell'‏ 

Aston Villa were relegated to the Championship after their defeat to Manchester United at the weekend, and it has caught the attention of the foreign media.

On Wednesday, Catalan based newspaper Mundo Deportivo have joined in to praise the Aston Villa fans for their support.

Mundo Deportivo say they're impressed to see the Aston Villa fans support their team even in the 'descent into hell', and they believe it was a 'nice lesson' for other supporters to learn.

The Catalan based newspaper also talk about Adama Traore, who signed from Barcelona, at the start of the season, but repeated injuries have never allowed him to settle in England, and he's managed just 186 minutes of league football this season.

The praise from Mundo Deportivo comes just days after another Spanish newspaper, AS, also took time out to explain how good they think Villa fans are. 

Aston Villa are one of the most decorated clubs in England, and have been relegated for the first time in the Premier League era, and the praise the Villa fans are getting can be a small consolation.

Edited by blandy
link added
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Gary Thomas said:

This article is about the away support but wanted to share because made me smile (proud) to be Villa.  Take a look at the video.  As they say, superb!!

http://www.empireofthekop.com/2016/05/02/video-aston-villa-fans-brilliantly-lost-the-plot-when-they-won-a-corner-at-the-weekend/

There's no way that that video is from us celebrating winning a corner - the cheers are obviously from the goal we scored from the corner. 

Can anyone who went to the game on Saturday confirm?

But I agree that our away support has been nothing short of fantastic this season, both in numbers and voice. Hope we keep it up next season.

Edited by roonst83

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

villa park on its day is second to none. 

But yet another failing of the Club is the awful positioning of the TV mikes/gantry etc so you get home after singing your head off and hear nothing at all.

On 5/2/2016 at 12:31, Gary Thomas said:

This article is about the away support but wanted to share because made me smile (proud) to be Villa.  Take a look at the video.  As they say, superb!!

http://www.empireofthekop.com/2016/05/02/video-aston-villa-fans-brilliantly-lost-the-plot-when-they-won-a-corner-at-the-weekend/

That was after Clark's goal.

Someone made the same comment on Twitter, I love how people just repeat social media bullshit.

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 18:13, Gary Thomas said:

This links Banners out on 74.  Will fans sat in the Doug Ellis and Trinity to get behind the protest?  I sit in the Doug Ellis sometimes with my lad and it is like an unwritten rule that fans do not sing in there.  No idea why, and I don't really get it, but it is what it is and if you try to sing you’ll often be on your own.  Do people think fans in those parts of the ground will wake from their slumber to support/get behind the protest plans by joining in with chants, banners, whatever?

Okay, I've always wondered this.

Why sit in the Doug Ellis then ?  (Not a criticism BTW, just very curious).  Once, just once, I went in the Trinity with my kid and the missus. (A while ago, the MON years) It was like being on the naughty step for 90 minutes.  The only thing that appeared to be allowed was complaining about our players.  Even got told to sit down celebrating a goal. Awful. Utterly awful.  Before then, and ever after then I went up the Holte, as a lad with my Dad, and then with my Lad - he used to love it, (as I always have until this year)

(That's why we will never compete with some others at their best, because we have dead areas.) (And over zealous stewards).  (And a Birmingham Council Environmental Health Department that excessively and unfairly clamps down on our Club - never understood why they are allowed to get away with that either !)

If we manage to sort the team out and start well, winning some games, we will hopefully see a lot of stay away fans return to VP. A full Villa Park, rocking with noise, is an awesome sight. Makes the hairs stand up on my neck :D

I hope you are right.  I fear many have gone for good, I know of several life long fans/mates who are never going back.  I know my son, who watched them for 10 years from his 8th  birthday, couldn't care less about them, and I know I've gone from every game home and away to not even bothering to watch the last game on 'media'.

The dead weight of Lerner has done far more than just the short term damage of relegation.....I hope you are right however.

Regarding the Doug Ellis stand, I've only ever sat there once. I'd got a family ticket against Fulham so took both kids and the missus. It was quiet but people were still singing, nearly everyone joined in with a rendition of John Carew's song but there wasn't much else in the way of sustained chanting. I'd hoped for a lot more since we were sat fairly near the lower north, and it's usually good for a bit of noise in there.

20 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I hope you are right.  I fear many have gone for good, I know of several life long fans/mates who are never going back.  I know my son, who watched them for 10 years from his 8th  birthday, couldn't care less about them, and I know I've gone from every game home and away to not even bothering to watch the last game on 'media'.

The dead weight of Lerner has done far more than just the short term damage of relegation.....I hope you are right however.

This may sound really cold but if people have left because of the last few years then I hope they don't come back if things get good again. Can't stand fairweather fans.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Mantis said:

This may sound really cold but if people have left because of the last few years then I hope they don't come back if things get good again. Can't stand fairweather fans.

Nice to hear from you, again....

I've been going to Villa every year since 1971. Just because I had enough last year doesn't make me a 'fairweather' fan.  Same will go for many others.  As direct abuse isn't allowed I would like you to just guess what I'm muttering right now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mantis said:

After a break due to personal circumstances, I've had my season ticket for the last five years and will get another one next year. I'm the epitomy of a cr*pweather fan. If and when things get good again, I'm outta here...

In all seriousness, when money is tight I can understand people diverting cash elsewhere. It's not been fun, sometimes it's been downright depressing. Those who stay away probably don't expect glory, but when we've lacked any quality, effort or even hope, I fully understand their right to withhold their support until the product improves a little.

At the moment going to Villa Park is a chore but I have nnothing better to spend my time or money on. Well done to those who do and I look forward to seeing you all again when things improve... but I'll get first choice at the next Wembley appearance!

Â