Aston Villa Home Support

Gary Thomas

I've got no qualms about people not going because of money - it's just the people that only go when things are good.

42 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Nice to hear from you, again....

I've been going to Villa every year since 1971. Just because I had enough last year doesn't make me a 'fairweather' fan.  Same will go for many others.  As direct abuse isn't allowed I would like you to just guess what I'm muttering right now.

No need to get defensive - my comment wasn't even aimed at you, or anyone here for that matter.

Edited by Mantis

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

This may sound really cold but if people have left because of the last few years then I hope they don't come back if things get good again. Can't stand fairweather fans.

Excuse me, I can't help but notice that I'm a considerably better fan than yow.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Excuse me, I can't help but notice that I'm a considerably better fan than yow.

So it's better fan BS if you don't like how there are fans (and this goes for all clubs) who melt away when things get tough and then come back when things are good? Ridiculous.

• Like 1

Guest av1
30 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I've got no qualms about people not going because of money - it's just the people that only go when things are good.

I think those 2 things are kind of linked pal. For a large proportion of fans, taking the family to a game is a costly exercise. For many, that cost can be justified when a little bit of entertainment is given in return. 

10 minutes ago, av1 said:

I think those 2 things are kind of linked pal. For a large proportion of fans, taking the family to a game is a costly exercise. For many, that cost can be justified when a little bit of entertainment is given in return. 

For me it depends on the circumstance. If it's one of those costs that you could probably do without then fair enough but if you're reasonably comfortable and just can't be arsed because we're not doing well then I really don't have much time for those sorts of people.

15 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I  think out club is a different scenario from most clubs, to be honest.

Over the years, I've found it pathetic how fans of other clubs fade away when they have a bad season or two, or even get relegated, but when was a club last as mismanaged as this one? Leeds, perhaps? 

Our fans have had patience for half a **** decade. We've watched our club sell its best players, year on year, for that half decade, and replace them with worse dross each season.

We're seen players give less of a shit every season, to the point that our captain gets dropped for poor fitness twice in a season and gets wrecked in London on the night we get relegated, Our centre back invites fans down to the training ground for a fight, our goalkeeper spends half a game trying to spit chewing gum at the touchline during a game, our promising youngster spends more time getting pissed and passing out than playing football. One of the shittest right backs/right wingers in the last ten years says he wants to leave for a Champion's league club. And through all of this, our owner is silent, and our past CEO comments that the owner isn't a motivated seller.

We get one ray of hope through promising new board members, and they resign and say their position was untenable, less than a month after joining.

Our fans aren't glory hunters, we've sat through almost unprecedented levels of shit and neglect. I'm one of the fans that has walked away, and I'm not coming back until that piece of shit Lerner walks away, Villa Park is a factory of sadness.

You don't need to explain the situation to me - what do you think I've been living under a rock these past few years? And I never called our fans glory hunters either but there are some fans that upped and left as soon as things started to turn sour.

Also, I think there's a difference if it's directed against the owner in particular.

16 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I  think out club is a different scenario from most clubs, to be honest.

Over the years, I've found it pathetic how fans of other clubs fade away when they have a bad season or two, or even get relegated, but when was a club last as mismanaged as this one? Leeds, perhaps? 

Our fans have had patience for half a **** decade. We've watched our club sell its best players, year on year, for that half decade, and replace them with worse dross each season.

We're seen players give less of a shit every season, to the point that our captain gets dropped for poor fitness twice in a season and gets wrecked in London on the night we get relegated, Our centre back invites fans down to the training ground for a fight, our goalkeeper spends half a game trying to spit chewing gum at the touchline during a game, our promising youngster spends more time getting pissed and passing out than playing football. One of the shittest right backs/right wingers in the last ten years says he wants to leave for a Champion's league club. And through all of this, our owner is silent, and our past CEO comments that the owner isn't a motivated seller.

We get one ray of hope through promising new board members, and they resign and say their position was untenable, less than a month after joining.

Our fans aren't glory hunters, we've sat through almost unprecedented levels of shit and neglect. I'm one of the fans that has walked away, and I'm not coming back until that piece of shit Lerner walks away, Villa Park is a factory of sadness.

good post. i can bet my life we have no glory hunters,plenty of fairweather fans who only come when we do ok or its a big game. we have around 30-32k fans who will turn up most of the time regardless which is decent after the last 6 years and winning nowt for over 20 years.

21 hours ago, Mantis said:

No need to get defensive - my comment wasn't even aimed at you, or anyone here for that matter.

We have been good for 3 of the last 15 seasons really stretching back to 2000 so I'd say we're one of the last clubs who'd have much fair weather support. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

good post. i can bet my life we have no glory hunters,plenty of fairweather fans who only come when we do ok or its a big game. we have around 30-32k fans who will turn up most of the time regardless which is decent after the last 6 years and winning nowt for over 20 years.

Yeah that's because our core support isn't as big as a lot of people on here think it is.....

As you say Ruge we generally have a hard core of about 30k for Saturday matches and 25k for midweek games. Both will probably dip next season unless we're right at the top. Then our crowds fluctuate depending on opposition, weather, time of game and yes how we're doing in the league but you can say that for a lot of clubs.

I've always found our crowds hard to predict. Take this season, we played Watford and then Arsenal at VP consecutively in November-December. Watford got the higher attendance. 

Because everybody knew we'd get dicked by Arsenal.  Some of us thought that we might actually beat Watford. 

You support the club not the owner! That's why if people wish to protest it's their right if they go to the game. People who use Lerner as an excuse not to go to games for me are a joke. There's plenty of reasons why people can't go. I'm a season ticket holder and don't go every game as it is depressing but I'll renew cause I can afford it and no matter who owns us I'll continue to do so as will 20000 other fans and then we have the people who go when and if they can so I expect our attendances to be roughly where we are this season maybe higher next year if we are doing well. Next year regardless of who owns us is massive and probably our biggest for years because if we don't get up we could become another Leeds so if you proclaim to support the club do so. Lerner will eventually be gone as other owners have but one thing remains constant. Aston Villa FC. 

our crowds have always been up and down. many other teams in the past used to as well but all top flight teams have stable attendances now but we dont. its as if we have not moved with the times as our fluctuating crowds are like the old days where teams could lose or gain 15-20k for different games. we have a big fanbase but we have a lot more going against us than say sunderland and newcastle do. united sold out because we won our opening game and we had a new team so people were optimistic.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

We have been good for 3 of the last 15 seasons really stretching back to 2000 so I'd say we're one of the last clubs who'd have much fair weather support. 

I never said we had loads of fairweather supporters.

Not sure if it's true but someone in the pre match thread has said that if we achieve a 41,000 ish crowd (which of course we wont)  we will beat last year's attendance figure. 

This is quite remarkable.  I know last year was another in a sequence of desperate seasons but this year has been on another scale altogether. An absolute utter shitfest,  constantly being kicked in the face over and over again with liberal sprays of Mace into the eyes between each rise and fall of the boot.  To be so close to matching last year's attendances is a huge credit to the unswerving loyalty of the fans. 

We are not fickle Fairweather fans we are utterly dedicated fanatics who love the club above all else not thinking or caring of the cretin who owns our clubs shares or the weak minded imposters pillaging it of its dignity and wealth. 

I would love to see how many Chelsea arsenal spurs citeh or even and possibly more illuminating of all man u would get after 5 years of hell with the worst of it being served up at home. I think it would be very interesting indeed

Edited by sidcow

Â