Aston Villa Home Support

Gary Thomas

Its not just the opposition, but the number of midweek games that will result in attendances taking a battering. 

Against Wycombe we got about 16k (taking In to account 4k away fans) and that was £10 a ticket. I think that's a good indication of what to expect next season. 

3 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

According to this, we have the 10th highest attendance in the PL which is remarkable given some of the dross the team has produced, especially earlier in the season.

Perhaps what is more telling is that our percentage full stats are by far and away the worst in the league. Wonder what they'd be like in the Championship?

CZvVavxWIAMjAnT.jpg

It's difficult to say. Villa support is like no one else's in the country.  As I mentioned in another topic we get unpredictable crowds. For example this year we had a bigger crowd versus Watford, than for Arsenal or a  vague derby versus Leceister City (both televised). Villa's home attendances depend on how well we are playing,the length of time since the last home game,  the ticket prices, and if it is televised, and they always go up in the second half of the season.

Look at the difference between low and high crowds- it's nearly a 14,000 range. That's more, far more, than anybody else in the premier league. It's old school. Which to me suggest just we will probably get relegated, thousands of supporters will not just suddenly stop going. In fact if we start winning a few I think are attendances could be a decent 30,000 level.  Quite frankly I am amazed over 30,000 home supporters go to every league game at Villa Park after the last 5 years. We will also take loads for away matches.

At the start of the season some midweek televised games might only get sub 25,000, but come march/april and we are going for automatic we could be getting well over 35,000 for the big games.

Edited by The Fun Factory

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Need to pick your games more carefully then!

I actually gave an unreal win %. Like 70% in about 40 games.

My last 4

Villa 0-4 spurs

Villa 0-0 Sunderland

Villa 0-3 man utd

Villa 0-0 Sunderland.

Truly abysmal watches.

Just chuckling at watching both those Sunderland 0-0 games....and missing the 6-1. And indeed our numerous good wins at Stadium of light last 5 years. Man. United and Spurs, what were you expecting given our atrocious records v them, at least we usually give Chelsea a game at home.

Anyway...I average about 10 games a season now at home. That will probably go slightly up next season given there's 4 more for a start. Disappointing we're going down and won't be competiting against top level teams and footballers but meh it's still Villa, it's still live football and my god surely we can win a few more games and score a few more goals?! We need to win 15 games down there just to stay up as teams have been relegated on 55 points before.

Initially to me it will have a bit of a hollow feeling to it e.g. us beating teams we normally play in early rounds of carling cup, pre season etc but I'm sure as we start to put a winning run together and play a few local teams in the fixture list it will start to get more interesting.

I'd probably sum it up as it's going to be something different. I've only known top flight football even though I watch plenty of championship and indeed league one given I follow Walsall aswell. But my team in that league is going to be strange.

I'd probably liken it to a bit of a retro 90s feel, y'know growing up when you were relying on Ceefax, final score and the radio for reports and got 2-3 minutes highlights on tv of the goals and not much else.

We will be on Sky a fair bit next season but I'd imagine for our non tv games particularly in midweek you can't just rock down the local pub and watch us as you can do for pretty much all our league games if you live in the Sutton area.

1 hour ago, av1 said:

Its not just the opposition, but the number of midweek games that will result in attendances taking a battering. 

Against Wycombe we got about 16k (taking In to account 4k away fans) and that was £10 a ticket. I think that's a good indication of what to expect next season. 

Not really, it was an fa cup replay against a league 2 team 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

My last 4

Villa 0-4 spurs

Villa 0-0 Sunderland

Villa 0-3 man utd

Villa 0-0 Sunderland.

Truly abysmal watches.

was one of them villa vs sunderland in Lambert 2nd season I think. One of worst games of football I ever watched, West Brom game last weekend was even better

42 minutes ago, Zatman said:

was one of them villa vs sunderland in Lambert 2nd season I think. One of worst games of football I ever watched, West Brom game last weekend was even better

Yeah there were 2 years on bounce under lambert. Both December time. First I came on my own, I was bored witless. 2nd I only came Coz I'd got a new gf and she said she wanted to go. 

Nothing will beat 0-2 v Bolton in the cup. Really turgid stuff.

1 hour ago, Woodytom said:

My last 4

Villa 0-4 spurs

Villa 0-0 Sunderland

Villa 0-3 man utd

Villa 0-0 Sunderland.

Truly abysmal watches.

Maybe your negativity rubs off on the team!!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arj Guy said:

Not really, it was an fa cup replay against a league 2 team 

So Tuesday night against Rotherham at £40 a pop is that much more appealing is it? Attendances will take an absolute battering next season. 

15 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

You never know, it might get better. I rarely bother going to home games any more because I hate watching us lose. So far I've been four times this season, and haven't seen us lose yet (Notts County, SHA, Leicester, Wycombe). Some people like to go and watch Ozil and Silva; I like to go and watch us win. 

get a season ticket then and do your bit, you're sending us down!

15 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

Yeah, that's what I said too. If we're 81.8% full on average in the top flight, what can we expect in a lower league?

I've said it before, but if we do well in the Championship I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if our attendances increase.

• Like 3

I've said it before, but if we do well in the Championship I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if our attendances increase.

This, if we're winning games and pushing for promotion or even to win the league we'll definitely get bigger crowds. Much more fun watching a team battle it out at the top than watching one unable to compete and languishing at the bottom, regardless of what division it is

• Like 2

11 hours ago, dn1982 said:

Maybe your negativity rubs off on the team!!! 

Haha well you could be on to something there because we're such a dynamite side when I'm not there.

Seriously tho, although I realise your comment is probably tongue in cheek it really doesn't warrant any support.

I really don't think my opinion towards the team is OTT given were now in our 5th straight relegation battle and we have only won 2 games all season. We were also the worst performing team in the country last year. I mean there is no room to get any worse there.

Nobody will remember nor acknowledge My opinion of the side during the MON days but it certainly wasn't a negative viewpoint. It certainly isnt far fetched to think that this team is the biggest crock of shit ever to grace the premiership.

3 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Haha well you could be on to something there because we're such a dynamite side when I'm not there.

Seriously tho, although I realise your comment is probably tongue in cheek it really doesn't warrant any support.

I really don't think my opinion towards the team is OTT given were now in our 5th straight relegation battle and we have only won 2 games all season. We were also the worst performing team in the country last year. I mean there is no room to get any worse there.

Nobody will remember nor acknowledge My opinion of the side during the MON days but it certainly wasn't a negative viewpoint. It certainly isnt far fetched to think that this team is the biggest crock of shit ever to grace the premiership.

We are in a crap position but not every single thing about the club is negative but some seem to think so. I'm sure if there was a thread about the Tea Lady she'd get it for buying tetley instead of pg tips!!! I don't mind people being negative it's being negative for the sake of it and not being constructive in any argument. It's in times of adversity that you need the fans the most. As for being the biggest crock of shit the Premier League has seen that's just your silly opinion. Let's see where we finish then you can say I told you so with glee and then condemn next season whilst the rest of us mourn! 

Between 25-35k on Saturday's depending on who we are playing. 

Midweek between 18-35k depending on who are playing

It will fluctuate greatly but we won't be getting 30k+ per match.

Won't get near a sell out unless there is a "must win to get promoted" one off match type scenario. 

These attendances aren't great for a club with a 43,000 capacity.

Edited by supernova26

10 hours ago, Woodytom said:

You registered December 4th 2009 so it was right at the back end of the MON days.

Anyway we've at least beaten Derby's record which gives you an idea of how bad they were given we've still got 15 games to play.

32 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

You registered December 4th 2009 so it was right at the back end of the MON days.

Anyway we've at least beaten Derby's record which gives you an idea of how bad they were given we've still got 15 games to play.

What so I made no posts in 7/8 months?

Â