Aston Villa Home Support

Gary Thomas

On 11/12/2015, 4:54:52, Wainy316 said:

Every single stadium event in the world let's you take an alcoholic drink to your seat apart from football in Britain it seems.

Not just Britain. Europa League and Champions League games you can't buy Alcohol anywhere in the stadium (afaik)

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not just Britain. Europa League and Champions League games you can't buy Alcohol anywhere in the stadium (afaik)

Didn't know that but no alcohol available at Euro qualifiers.  Maybe it's games under UEFA's jurisdiction.

That said, alcohol was freely available and you could take it to your seat at Euro 2012.

35 minutes ago, TRO said:

So now we have another situation where the minority want to ride roughshod over the majority.

a few lessons of the meaning of democracy might help in school.

Nobody wants all standing stadiums, we just want the option.

The dangers of standing used to stem from the fact that people were crowded into a terrace with no assigned spot.  Safe standing gives everyone a designated spot to stand and even a chair to fold out if you want it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Didn't know that but no alcohol available at Euro qualifiers.  Maybe it's games under UEFA's jurisdiction.

That said, alcohol was freely available and you could take it to your seat at Euro 2012.

Was it definitely alcoholic? I've been to England games in Europe where fans have been looking smug with themselves with litres of beer in the stand, not actually realising they've paid how ever much it was, for non alcoholic beer.

4 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Nobody wants all standing stadiums, we just want the option.

The dangers of standing used to stem from the fact that people were crowded into a terrace with no assigned spot.  Safe standing gives everyone a designated spot to stand and even a chair to fold out if you want it.

Wainy, I'm not opposed to designated standing area's, on the contrary, I would support the case for them.

my argument is .....they are not in place and until they are, why can't folk comply.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Was it definitely alcoholic? I've been to England games in Europe where fans have been looking smug with themselves with litres of beer in the stand, not actually realising they've paid how ever much it was, for non alcoholic beer.

I want my money back!

Nah it was definitely alcoholic, maybe the rules are relaxed for the finals?

There's no such competition as the Carling Cup, but when it did exist you couldn't drink in your seat because making drinking alcohol in your seat possible wasn't part of their sponsorship agreement, and they wouldn't have paid enough to make it happen anyway. Notably, you probably won't be able to drink in your seat in Qatar, though the country has been forced to significantly liberalise its drinking laws for the duration of the competition. 

Encourage people to buy your product, but you can't watch the game live with a carlling in your hand, sounds like hypocrisy to me whichever way you spin it.

Budweiser are one of the main sponsors for the world cup in a country that doesn't allow drinking in most places. Hypocrisy again

Money talks and always will do especially in football,

The finals have an official beer sponsor, ergo you can drink beer. Raising money from Budweiser is more important than crowd safety. 

Well on this rare occasion the raising of money has inadvertently allowed common sense to prevail.

If football fans could be trusted to behave then they probably wouldn't be so reluctant to allow it.

Sadly people wouldn't be content with sitting watching the game with a pint. 

At the very least some would bounce up n down throwing it everywhere, and it would only encourage further aggressive behaviour that some people can't seem to avoid. Minority but nevertheless, it's more than enough to spoil it for everyone.

Slightly hypocritical because at times I've joined in but football fans can't even sing at rival fans without it being hostile and abusive.

Sports all over the world have fan rivalry and banter but there aren't many sports I can think of where the songs aimed at opposition fans and players are as volatile as that within football. 

We can't have it both ways.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

But alcohol in the seat wouldn't make any difference to the amount of alcohol consumed because you just get people necking them on the concourse anyway.

Exactly my point. For the average football supporter, it wouldn't be about enjoying the occasion with a beer. It'd be about throwing as much down ya neck as possible.

I take it personal that the culture causes me not to be trusted, but that's the power of the culture. Unless that changes, then there's no way beer would be allowed.

Go to a basketball game. Basketball, on the whole is a far more territorial game than football. There is more opportunity to celebrate. A lot more. However you don't find a basketball crowd bouncing around in the stands hurling abuse. They enjoy the occasion.

In fact, the nature of football crowds highlights a lot about the vast majority of games that are on offer.

I think a lot of football fans are bored witless hence the need to look for alternative entertainment.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

According to this, we have the 10th highest attendance in the PL which is remarkable given some of the dross the team has produced, especially earlier in the season.

Perhaps what is more telling is that our percentage full stats are by far and away the worst in the league. Wonder what they'd be like in the Championship?

CZvVavxWIAMjAnT.jpg

3 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

According to this, we have the 10th highest attendance in the PL which is remarkable given some of the dross the team has produced, especially earlier in the season.

Perhaps what is more telling is that our percentage full stats are by far and away the worst in the league. Wonder what they'd be like in the Championship?

CZvVavxWIAMjAnT.jpg

We have the worst % to capacity ratio by some way so I wouldn't read too much into it!! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dn1982 said:

We have the worst % to capacity ratio by some way so I wouldn't read too much into it!! 

Yeah, that's what I said too. If we're 81.8% full on average in the top flight, what can we expect in a lower league?

You never know, it might get better. I rarely bother going to home games any more because I hate watching us lose. So far I've been four times this season, and haven't seen us lose yet (Notts County, SHA, Leicester, Wycombe). Some people like to go and watch Ozil and Silva; I like to go and watch us win. 

• Like 2

Â