Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

I don't know about you but if we go down through sheer incompetence then that is one thing, if we go down whist desperately playing a nonce that we should not have in the team, well that is just sheer small heath. No class.

Zero disagreement here.

15 hours ago, supernova26 said:

Portsmouth survived 8 points adrift with 10 remaining so when I hear pundits say a team has never stayed up from our position before I beg to differ.

To think we could have been within 2 points had we won our last two games, this is the sickening bit for Remi.

It's a good job we don't fear relegation isn't it, words removed.  

14 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

8 points behind three teams? I doubt that. Maybe I'm wrong. 

As with all of these great escape stories too I don't ever recall there being this level of a lack of commitment. A manager telling them they're not good enough, players picking fights with fans. Zero investment from the top, merrily waving the white flag as early as January. 

Maybe you're right!

The table in the first week of March 2006 was: Sunderland 10 points, Portsmouth 18, SHA 23 and West Brom 26. 

Portsmouth got 20 points from their last 10 games and ended in 17th, helped immensely by the Baggies who took only 4 more points from their remaining fixtures.

Worth noting that Portsmouth bought 5 players in the January transfer window, including Benjani and Sean Davies.

So you're right, these great escape stories always have more to them than just the "[Blah] club were 8 points behind and survived so why can't we?" that people tend to post here. There is almost always another team who oblige by having a dramatic collapse and plunging into relegation (can't see anyone doing that so far this season). And a lot of momentum in the escaping club.

As for Supernova's comments, there's a big difference between saying it's possible to stay up (which obviously it is) and it is probable or even remotely likely that we will stay up from our current position (which, as things stand it isn't).

Edited by briny_ear

Last season showed me how utterly dreadful you have to be to go down, because we were shite yet stayed up.

This season showed me that we are now that shite

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Last season showed me how utterly dreadful you have to be to go down, because we were shite yet stayed up.

Just like the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that as well.

weve had the grim reaper of relegation standing in the reception at villa park for years now

Just like the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that as well.

weve had the grim reaper of relegation standing in the reception at villa park for years now

Crikey, don't tell me even he's walked out on 74.

Oh I agree. But I always felt we had a bit of quality the previous years.

Last year we were just utterly shite, yet we still stayed up.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Oh I agree. But I always felt we had a bit of quality the previous years.

Last year we were just utterly shite, yet we still stayed up.

Friday night villa v Rotherham next season will be

It's just typical.

Here we are trying to build a team, buying 13 players last summer.

The predators of the premier league will be cherry picking all our best players.

its heartbreaking.

8 hours ago, TRO said:

It's just typical.

The predators of the premier league will be cherry picking all our best players.

its heartbreaking.

they are welcome to all of them.

• Like 1

It's just typical.

its heartbreaking.

Amavi, Okore, Ayew. Are probably the only ones I care about.

Do feel if we'd have bought more experience first then the likes of Gil and Veretout could have shone.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spiezels said:

Amavi, Okore, Ayew. Are probably the only ones I care about.

Do feel if we'd have bought more experience first then the likes of Gil and Veretout could have shone.

I would not keep Okore.

May as well give some of the fans a run out next week. They aren't going to do any worse and lets face it at least they will try.

It's rapidly gone from being a dreadful season into us being the laughing stock of the country. 

Very few clubs have had such a dreadful season in the Premier league and no so called big team. It's a disgrace from top to bottom. We'll be lucky to stay up in the Championship!!!

• Like 1

Â