Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

1 hour ago, TRO said:

You are right and I think most people had more faith in the Villa Park staff than they actually KNEW these players was ok.

Quite honestly, I hadn't got a clue.....but I thought we can't possibly get 13 players wrong.

Well, we have come pretty close.

In the past, I have seen players come in .....but trusted the Villa Park staff, and sure enough my trust was well placed.

NOW.....I wouldn't trust them with a major sum of money to get it right.

PS I'm not trying to be smug, but some were suggesting its the best window we have ever had.:o

I agree, its all very well attaching all the blame on Lerner but we reinvested a lot of money on players and the recruitment people have got it horribily wrong. I thought at the time it was a good transfer window but its been the worse one in the history of this football club. I think we are better than Derby were but only slightly.

Edited by PaulC

So when do people think we will actually be relegated mathematically?

Looking at how poor the other teams fighting relegation are, and the fixtures ahead, I reckon we may not be numerically out of reach of 17th place until 23rd April when we play Southampton at home. We will lose that game and be relegated.

As I said a few weeks back Old Trafford seems as good a place as anywhere to be relegated. My least favourite game of the season, one I certainly will not miss from being relegated given we produce spineless performances up there even when we were finishing 6th.

Mid April so could well happen.

• Like 1

I agree, its all very well attaching all the blame on Lerner but we reinvested a lot of money on player and the recruitment people have got it horribily wrong. I thought at the time it was a good transfer window but its been the worse one in the history of this football club. I think we are better than Derby were but only slightly.

We mainly just reinvested the money got for Benteke and Snake (+ a bit more), two outstanding players who had been crucial to keeping us just above the relegation line. We came nowhere near replacing their quality and spread the money quite thin in "rebuilding" the squad where we made some poor choices.

So really I think both sides of this are right. We didn't spend enough and what we did spent was not well used.

• Like 1

I think the not spending well is more of an issue.

Like I said elsewhere, we basically sold/released the spine of our team (Vlaar, Delph, benteke) and replaced them with ribs (for want of a better analogy)

I think players like Gana, veretout, Ayew, Amavi etc etc would all look like decent signings if they were playing around those key players we got rid of. But they're not, they're being relied upon to be that spine.

If we'd spent our money on A midfielder and A striker and A centreback who were good enough to reform that spine of the team, then I think we'd be in a far far better position, even if it meant we only brought in half the players we did.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

We mainly just reinvested the money got for Benteke and Snake (+ a bit more), two outstanding players who had been crucial to keeping us just above the relegation line. We came nowhere near replacing their quality and spread the money quite thin in "rebuilding" the squad where we made some poor choices.

So really I think both sides of this are right. We didn't spend enough and what we did spent was not well used.

This - twinned with two disastrous management appointments....................... recipe for disaster

Any sane person could tell you Remi Garde wasn't the calibre or type of leader we needed at that point !!!

• Like 2

I firmly believe no manager would have stopped this team going down, even if they had an entire season in charge. It's a team full of mentally fragile losers.

Edited by Jimzk5
  • Like 4

I can't believe we aren't more adrift. Although I think we deserve to be where we are the annoying thing is without referees actively burgling points off us with diabolical penalty decisions (or should I say lack of), even in just the West Ham, Brom and Leicester games, we'd arguably only be a point or two behind.

Edited by penguin

Yes you can also look at the lucky goals we scored in some of those games, the missed penalty by Leicester, the handball goal by Gestede in that game. Its swings and roundabouts really.

Im so sick of Lerner and the players' ability being blamed. As I keep saying, Bournemouth are a team filled with Championship players, their best player hasnt played since August and Mings also has been out for the entire season. Yet they are comfortably safe.

Is Lerner faultless? Absolutely not. But for whatever reason, the managers cannot get these misfits playing well. At the start of the season there was no-one who thought Bmouth had a better squad than us. 

Summary - We're relegated because of the owner or because the players are not good enough = Bullshit and a kop out.

Edited by R.Bear
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Im so sick of Lerner and the players' ability being blamed. As I keep saying, Bournemouth are a team filled with Championship players, their best player hasnt played since August and Mings also has been out for the entire season. Yet they are comfortably safe.

Is Lerner faultless? Absolutely not. But for whatever reason, the managers cannot get these misfits playing well. At the start of the season there was no-one who thought Bmouth had a better squad than us. 

Summary - We're relegated because of the owner or because the players are not good enough = Bullshit and a kop out.

Eh? The squad is weak as piss, none of them are good enough for the Premier League.

How can you not get that? Are you saying if the player's put some effort in we would be safe. If the forwards can't score enough and defender's can't defend then no amount of effort is going to change that.

In my opinion Bournemouth have a far better balanced squad than we do hence why they are staying up while we go down.

Of all the people at VP Lerner is most to blame but obviously you think otherwise which again I find puzzling, if the owner desides to take a club trying to get in the CL to a club fighting relegation then I'm pretty sure that he should shoulder the blame.

If you are trolling then don't reply as I'm really not interested.

• Like 1

Yes you can also look at the lucky goals we scored in some of those games, the missed penalty by Leicester, the handball goal by Gestede in that game. Its swings and roundabouts really.

Absolutely. All the relegation sides will have their store of hard-luck stories. Just look at Norwich succumbing to a blatantly offside goal from Costa last night. We haven't been especially unlucky.

Just now, SeanO said:

Eh? The squad is weak as piss, none of them are good enough for the Premier League.

How can you not get that? Are you saying if the player's put some effort in we would be safe. If the forwards can't score enough and defender's can't defend then no amount of effort is going to change that.

In my opinion Bournemouth have a far better balanced squad than we do hence why they are staying up while we go down.

Of all the people at VP Lerner is most to blame but obviously you think otherwise which again I find puzzling, if the owner desides to take a club trying to get in the CL to a club fighting relegation then I'm pretty sure that he should shoulder the blame.

If you are trolling then don't reply as I'm really not interested.

Yes the players are shit but are you saying Bmouths are superior? Really? Most of them have zero PL experience when virtually all of ours do. Almost none of them would ever have played in the PL if they didnt get promoted with the team. I guarantee that most VTers couldn't name 5 of their players in August.

Just now, R.Bear said:

Yes the players are shit but are you saying Bmouths are superior? Really? Most of them have zero PL experience when virtually all of ours do. Almost none of them would ever have played in the PL if they didnt get promoted with the team. I guarantee that most VTers couldn't name 5 of their players in August.

What difference does that make? 

Ability wise they are far superior. Not only that but they are mentally superior too, quite clearly. 

19 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Absolutely. All the relegation sides will have their store of hard-luck stories. Just look at Norwich succumbing to a blatantly offside goal from Costa last night. We haven't been especially unlucky.

We also haven't been especially lucky.

We deserve to be exactly where we are.

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

our last wins came because of appalling goalkeeping so I would call them lucky

As opposed to dropped points like Leicester or Crystal palace or Newcastle which came because of appalling goalkeeping?

Like I've said before, people use luck to suit their own argument. If you're down on the manager then we're lucky when we win. If you're pro the manager then we're unlucky when we lose.

It's **** bollocks. We are where we are because we deserve to be there. People need to stop using "luck" to suit whatever agenda they have.

• Like 1

Â