Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

12 minutes ago, villa89 said:

We were down long before today. It's odd that some people cling on to the belief that we could stay up citing the 4 points we picked up in the last two games. This ignores the extreme difficulty we had scoring goals in both games. We got an own goal and a deflected goal. Other than that despite being the better team in both games it's clear we don't have the players to score enough goals to stay up. And that's been clear since about 10 games into the season.

Nobody is clinging to the belief that we will stay up, absolutely nobody.

If we could get 6-7 points in the next 3 would be fantastic. Especially if one of the wins comes through Norwich. Andthe first one next game against West Brom.

So Beating West Brom then having rest till after January to go to West Ham. 6 would be great. 4 would be ok.Then a must win against Norwich.

That would put us on 19 points. Slightly better than Leicester on the same stage.

Then if we could get 12 points out of the next 9 would put us 31 before the last 4 games.

Southampton,Watford A,Newcastle and Arsenal.

It will definitly depend on where other teams are. And them losing would only help. But its still possible. The soon we win on streak the easier it would get.

We need to go to West Brom game with Garde knowing how to change our awful away form as he changed the home form.

If we beat West Brom whos to say they wont go into a losing form to get dragged? Im not saying them to go down but to feel the pressure. Many reams go into a really bad forms at the end of the season.

People keep saying other results doesnt matter. Had Newcastle lost their last 2 wed only be 5 points off them.

If weve been only 5 points off safety will everybody say we dont have a chance?

Norwich may be in a free fall. If they keep losing with Newcastle and Swasea unable to catch them, say for 3 rounds. And we take lets say 5 points out of our next three.

Wed only be 5 points off them with 3 teams in between.

So it would still help us to keep in touch. 

Had we draw against Norwich and Sunderland, wed only be 1 point off Sunderland. We all thought even a draw wont save us.

The way I see it we have 12 games which we need atleast 18-19 points from. That would make us on the race till the last 4 games.

Last season weve had 19 points from 15 with only 12 goals.

• Like 1

We are improving atleast, a win and a draw aint too bad, more importantly it actually looks like we can play football from time to time. If we wont stay up its atleast promising for the championship.

We are on 12 points at the moment, and the fixtures below are the games we have left.

Say we need around 34-37pts to survive, thats an additional 22-25 points.

If we can nick a win at: West Brom, Norwich, Swansea, Bournemouth, Watford and Newcastle that gives us 18 points, steal a couple of draws or a lucky win and we might have a ever so slight chance of surviving. I'm having a hard time seeing it happen, BUT if we successful in the window, a creative midfielder, striker and debuchy and a f**kton of luck it could happen. but seeing as we have won 2 games so far its not really looking likely..

West Brom - A

West Ham - A

Norwich - H

Liverpool - H

Stoke - A

Everton - H

Man City - A

Tottenham - H

Swansea - A

Chelsea - H

Bournemouth - H

Man Utd- A

Southampton - H

Watford - A

Newcastle - H

Arsenal - A

30 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The manager did take responsibility.

We were struggling to pass through an organised Leicester team and changed our style to account for that, and it worked. We got a point and could have won it.

I fail to see how that's beng spun as a negative.

What  !!!!! We have struggled to pass the ball to any effect since he came, how many games has it taken him to realise you can't pass you way out of the position were in. We need to battle be direct and play to our strengths. He didn't do this until the second half!!! Kozak has sat on his are until Garde ran out of ideas! 

I take it you believe Mr Garde will comfortably guide us out of the Championship, I wasn't convinced when he came and I'm still not convinced today. 

8 wins would keep us up no problem. The trouble is there's not 20 odd games anymore, just 16 so a 50% win ratio for rest of the season is bordering on delusion given what we've seen so far.

I think at our maximum we could win six more games (West Brom, Norwich, Stoke as we always seem to win up there recently, Bournemouth, Swansea and Southampton) and draw a couple but that would only get us 20-21 points so we'd still fall short in that situation.

Just now, Blasterpocket68 said:

1) What  !!!!! We have struggled to pass the ball to any effect since he came, how many games has it taken him to realise you can't pass you way out of the position were in. We need to battle be direct and play to our strengths. He didn't do this until the second half!!! Kozak has sat on his are until Garde ran out of ideas! 

2)I take it you believe Mr Garde will comfortably guide us out of the Championship, I wasn't convinced when he came and I'm still not convinced today. 

1) we passed the ball on Tuesday and we won the game. It's called having options. We started today's game with the team that beat Palace, I'm not sure anybody would disagree with that. It didn't work and he changed us to go more direct. It was game management and it worked well. 

2) I have no idea to be honest. I think it's still too early to make a call like that with Garde. What I think is clear is that he's improved the team from the state it was in when he arrived, but that's it's PROBABLY too late to give us a chance of staying up. We'll have a much better idea of whether he's capable by the end of the season. I like him so I hope he's the man to do it, but it's too early to conclude anything yet.

That you were unconvinced when he arrived is obvious from the way you've interpreted today's game, imo. You've spun what was a good performance into a negative. IMO you've made your mind up, which you're entitled to do, but it's effecting your ability to look at things objectively. 

• Like 2

Given that we have just got a point against the team that were second at the start of the day, we shouldn't dismiss the idea of getting valuable points or even wins in the home games against Liverpool, Everton, Spurs and Chelsea.

I'm sure we will get some sort of striker reinforcements in by the end of this window.

Edited by poitier

1 minute ago, poitier said:

Given that we have just got a point against the team that were second at the start of the day, we shouldn't dismiss the idea of getting valuable points or even wins in the home games against Liverpool, Everton, Spurs and Chelsea.

I'm sure we will get some sort of striker reinforcements in by the end of this window.

Grant Holt perhaps?

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

1) we passed the ball on Tuesday and we won the game. It's called having options. We started today's game with the team that beat Palace, I'm not sure anybody would disagree with that. It didn't work and he changed us to go more direct. It was game management and it worked well. 

2) I have no idea to be honest. I think it's still too early to make a call like that with Garde. What I think is clear is that he's improved the team from the state it was in when he arrived, but that's it's PROBABLY too late to give us a chance of staying up. We'll have a much better idea of whether he's capable by the end of the season. I like him so I hope he's the man to do it, but it's too early to conclude anything yet.

That you were unconvinced when he arrived is obvious from the way you've interpreted today's game, imo. You've spun what was a good performance into a negative. IMO you've made your mind up, which you're entitled to do, but it's effecting your ability to look at things objectively. 

Stevo 

it's all opinions that's why we post. Given the points we have now under Garde i question how many points we may have collected under the previous manager. I don't see any or very little improvement. 

We were lucky against palace and lucky today . I travel home and away where possible and have seen nothing in Garde to suggest he will inspire guide or build a team capable of climbing out of the championship. Of course this is my opinion!! 

We need to beat West Brom and hope other results go our way. That being the case, we could then be 6 points from safety, with a slightly inferior goal difference.

We then face West Ham and our rivals have some tough games - realistically we could be within 3-4 points of safety with 14 games to play.

Our saving grace right now might be that we havn't capitulated in many games (like Sunderland did today), so our goal difference is only marginally worse than our rivals - so if we can win some games we will make that back quite quickly.

Is it so impossible that we could get 2 wins on the bounce against West Brom and West Ham? Its unlikely, but not impossible.

If you take a step back though - there is 16 games left to play and we are 9 points from safety. If you offered us a position of being 3 points from safety with 6 games to play, I think we would all take it. The being the case, we've got 10 games to make up 6 points on the 3 teams above us.

Grant Holt perhaps?

Not convinced that Paul Lambert signings are relevant. Debuchy on loan shows that it's *possible* we might nab somebody decent.

I know you already think we are down, I think we are 99% there myself. That 1% would keep me trying.

16 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Stevo 

it's all opinions that's why we post. Given the points we have now under Garde i question how many points we may have collected under the previous manager. I don't see any or very little improvement. 

We were lucky against palace and lucky today . I travel home and away where possible and have seen nothing in Garde to suggest he will inspire guide or build a team capable of climbing out of the championship. Of course this is my opinion!! 

Like I said, I believe your opinions are based on your predetermined opinion of Garde.

I can't believe you can't see any improvement in the team, especially after the last two games. 

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Not convinced that Paul Lambert signings are relevant. Debuchy on loan shows that it's *possible* we might nab somebody decent.

I know you already think we are down, I think we are 99% there myself. That 1% would keep me trying.

I'd keep trying, I just don't think those running the club really are and the comments from Reg are indicative of that.

Debuchy would be a good addition but it snacks of a bit of a favour from Wenger to Garde to me.

Do I think we will land a striker good enough to make a difference? No

I'd keep trying, I just don't think those running the club really are and the comments from Reg are indicative of that.

Debuchy would be a good addition but it snacks of a bit of a favour from Wenger to Garde to me.

Do I think we will land a striker good enough to make a difference? No

Agree.

Agree. Though don't really care how or why, as long as he shows up.

Agree.

But I hope we are both wrong about points one and three of course.

So some people think it is possible we will stay up, whilst others think it isn't.

Well, only one of those groups is factually correct !

So for all those " sure" we are down ( me included) - you/we are, by definition, just guessing. For all those sure we have a chance, you are absolutely correct, so good luck !

• Like 1

We will stay up

Play

Bunn

Debuchy Okore Lescott cissokho

Bacuna gana Veretout Ayew

Gestede kozak

Tell the big lumps up front to physically bully the centre backs then bring on Gabby & Sinclair in last 15 min to just run around like lunatics

Â