Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

These players really are infuriating. Complete lack of anything to suggest they're anywhere near Premier League quality. Constant gifts to the opposition week after week and worryingly we seem to lack the stomach for the battle. Benteke, Delph, Cleverley (can't believe I'm mentioning him) and Vlaar gone, those that have replaced just are not good enough.

You know, it wouldn't surprise me at all if, before the end of this season, we change manager again. That's not me writing off the new man, I mean, how could I when I don't even know who he is? It's just that the people behind the scenes at the club are so keen to call the shots that maybe they will sack another manager during the season if it looks like we're going to struggle to stay up. 

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Rodgers return to Swansea at some point, if they look in any danger. 

• Like 1

Spineless

You think our team would be experts on this but could someone point out to them that if you put opposition defenders under pressure they make mistakes like tonight

Gestede has the presence of a flagpole up front and needs to be dropped next game he is simply not mobile enough Bowery was quicker than this guy

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

These players really are infuriating. Complete lack of anything to suggest they're anywhere near Premier League quality. Constant gifts to the opposition week after week and worryingly we seem to lack the stomach for the battle. Benteke, Delph, Cleverley (can't believe I'm mentioning him) and Vlaar gone, those that have replaced just are not good enough.

The performances to me have said the opposite. It's been the gifts to the opposition that have cost us, the performances overall have been ok, for the most part, and in some places quite good. We just need a manager who actually has a game plan and picks the right players, in their natural positions, to achieve it.

Edited by penguin

To all those who believe simply changing manager will be enough, can you please tell me the even 5 or 6 players you think are better than a relegation battle. Surely people recognise that at least half your team has to be of a good enough quality to avoid a relegation battle even if there are issues in some areas.

I can think of Amavi, Richards, Grealish and potentially Traore. So four. Grealish and Traore are particuarly raw and have no impact quite often. Richards obviously as an issue with temperament... The rest of the players are at BEST a relegation team. Lescott, Richardson, Gestede and Gabby are Championship standard. A lot of the squad are completely untested, unknowns or have very bad injury records.

Our best line up is probably Guzan, Hutton, Richards, Clark, Amavi, Westwood, Gana, Grealish, Traore, Gil, Ayew... and that team is still awful. Be honest with yourselves. 

And that's why pressure should be on Lerner to invest. Stop being distracted by the easy target of a new manager, the real issue has been player recruitment and has been for ages. You can't keep cutting the quality and surviving. That's why I think protests are still a valid option, whether he still pretends he wants out or not.

• Like 2

The team has been randomly thrown out there week after week, unable to form any cohesion, and unable to unify behind an actual plan. 

With a proper organizer and tactician, I don't see why this team can't start picking up points.

We are far from world class, but when you look at the likes of Sunderland, Newcastle, Norwich, Bournemouth, etc., we have a good shot at getting out of this mess. 

• Like 1

We just need a manager that comes in.. ideally foreign so they have no attachment to the english players.

I want to see a manager with balls who has a game plan and sticks with it. I thought Sherwood would do that yet he kept changing it and got negative when it didnt work after a few games this season. Should have stuck with it as we were playing well.

Theres a good team here.. Lots of decent players. I look at other squads and no way they have a better side than we do.

We are missing 1 key ingredient.. and that is a lethal striker. Really should have bought Charlie Austin.. i would think we would have won 3-4 games more if we did.

I just want the new manager.. to stop playing Lescott Richardson Hutton and Westwood. Squad players/depth at best. First two are rubbish. Hutton i like but is very limited and we tend to lose so much possession ending with him putting in weak crosses. Westwood is a limited player and i can see Veretout blossoming under a proper manager given a run of games.

A back four of Richards Okore Clark Amavi should be first choice. Gil and Traore/Grealish instructions to hug the touch line and cut in when possible.

------------------------------Guzan------------------------------

Richards--------Okore------------Clark-------------Amavi

---------------------Gueye---------Sanchez------------------

--------Gil-----------------Veretout---------------Traore/Grealish

-----------------------------Ayew-------------------------------

Last game vs Swansea.

Hutton---------Richards---------Lescott----Richardson

---------------------Gueye---------Bacuna------------------

----------------------------Grealish-----------------------------

--------------Ayew---------------------Gabby-------------------

----------------------------Gestede-----------------------------

In a team like that.... you have a decent defence.. with good protection from the midfield. You have creativity and speed in attack and you have good movement upfront with Ayew. Gestede wont fit in that team. Kozak possibly but wont do much better. Sherwoods team just lacks quality and balance. We have a good team if you pick the right players.

Charlie Austin and Valdes on loan as a goal keeper is imperative as well on January.

I think that team is good enough for the premier league.. and if given a proper go.. probably higher.

Edited by KSV
  • Like 1

We're a team full of chickens.

Whilst Norwich aren't world beaters, you know you're going to get a physical/intimidating game from them. 

Against our lot, you get in our faces and pump the ball up front and you know the pressure will get to them.  We've got no one that will take a game by the scruff of the neck and stick a boot in.

Mentally, we're extremely weak.  Hence why Villa Park has become a holiday destination for every **** except the fans.

It's just a collection of dreadful players, that's the reason why we are so shit. If we assess each player and think about wether they are good enough for a top 10 premier league side then the answer is no. There is not 1 player in the whole 25 man squad that is good enough for a top 10 side, a couple have the potential to be good enough but that's about it sadly

• Like 1

To all those who believe simply changing manager will be enough, can you please tell me the even 5 or 6 players you think are better than a relegation battle. Surely people recognise that at least half your team has to be of a good enough quality to avoid a relegation battle even if there are issues in some areas.

I can think of Amavi, Richards, Grealish and potentially Traore. So four. Grealish and Traore are particuarly raw and have no impact quite often. Richards obviously as an issue with temperament... The rest of the players are at BEST a relegation team. Lescott, Richardson, Gestede and Gabby are Championship standard. A lot of the squad are completely untested, unknowns or have very bad injury records.

Our best line up is probably Guzan, Hutton, Richards, Clark, Amavi, Westwood, Gana, Grealish, Traore, Gil, Ayew... and that team is still awful. Be honest with yourselves. 

And that's why pressure should be on Lerner to invest. Stop being distracted by the easy target of a new manager, the real issue has been player recruitment and has been for ages. You can't keep cutting the quality and surviving. That's why I think protests are still a valid option, whether he still pretends he wants out or not.

if someone said to me of all the problems what do you think is the worst, I would not hesitate to say.....player recruitment.

and as you say, it has been for too many years.....that's why the situation, will come home to roost.

we rarely ever get our first choice of player or manager.

4 points adrift already. No chance of getting anything from our next three games. Bournemouth will get something in that time. That Swansea game was vital and thanks to the board bottling it in the international break we are well and truly ****.

Edited by Arj Guy

We still have a chance of staying up, but things need to change quickly. If we can string a few positive results together we will close the gap on the teams above, some of whom I expect will have bad runs at some point this season. The big IF is us, and stringing together some positive results to build confidence and momentum. We have not managed that in quite a while and that is going to have to change.

Leicester showed last season how it can be done, we need to show similar battling qualities, and we can help ourselves here by not shooting ourselves in the foot virtually every game by gifting the opposition a goal. Hopefully the new man coming in can organise them better at the back, and get them back to at least doing the basics right so we make ourselves hard to beat again and then build from there. I do wonder whether the defenders are being asked to do something that is out of their comfort zone which is leading to these errors, the sheer volume of errors made is ridiculous.

We haven't got any battling qualities in the squad at all, hence how we just roll over at home so often. We need a guy who can install this into these players quickly, or failing that have the stones to leave them out.

• Like 1

We just need a manager that comes in.. ideally foreign so they have no attachment to the english players.

I want to see a manager with balls who has a game plan and sticks with it. I thought Sherwood would do that yet he kept changing it and got negative when it didnt work after a few games this season. Should have stuck with it as we were playing well.

Theres a good team here.. Lots of decent players. I look at other squads and no way they have a better side than we do.

We are missing 1 key ingredient.. and that is a lethal striker. Really should have bought Charlie Austin.. i would think we would have won 3-4 games more if we did.

I just want the new manager.. to stop playing Lescott Richardson Hutton and Westwood. Squad players/depth at best. First two are rubbish. Hutton i like but is very limited and we tend to lose so much possession ending with him putting in weak crosses. Westwood is a limited player and i can see Veretout blossoming under a proper manager given a run of games.

A back four of Richards Okore Clark Amavi should be first choice. Gil and Traore/Grealish instructions to hug the touch line and cut in when possible.

Richards--------Okore------------Clark-------------Amavi

---------------------Gueye---------Sanchez------------------

--------Gil-----------------Veretout---------------Traore/Grealish

-----------------------------Ayew-------------------------------

Last game vs Swansea.

Hutton---------Richards---------Lescott----Richardson

---------------------Gueye---------Bacuna------------------

----------------------------Grealish-----------------------------

--------------Ayew---------------------Gabby-------------------

----------------------------Gestede-----------------------------

In a team like that.... you have a decent defence.. with good protection from the midfield. You have creativity and speed in attack and you have good movement upfront with Ayew. Gestede wont fit in that team. Kozak possibly but wont do much better. Sherwoods team just lacks quality and balance. We have a good team if you pick the right players.

Charlie Austin and Valdes on loan as a goal keeper is imperative as well on January.

I think that team is good enough for the premier league.. and if given a proper go.. probably higher.

i'm glad your not the manager picking the team every week !!!

I appreciate its all about opinions, but Gestede is only good for one thing, headers so who is going to supply the crosses from wide in that set up?

The protection the defence will get from that midfield is as about as good as using a condom with a hole in it!!

I am not having a go at you, but for me it just highlights the serious lack of quality we have in our team/squad.

Â