Ratings and Reactions: Villa v Sunderland

limpid

We really need to sort out our home form. Why are we so poor at VP?

Make no mistake that is a wank result.

Sherwood has absolutely zero faith in his new signings.

What makes you say that? Traore was injured and Veretout was probably knackered from mid-week. Gestede, Gana, Amavi and Richards were all playing.

I found it odd that neither Vertout or J Ayew came on to be honest. Gil was apparently the least fit of all of them but he played. I suspect Tim thought that we were creating enough chances so didn't change it but he should have.

I forgot about Ayew - he's been pretty poor so far though so can understand why he didn't come on. Just seems very bizarre to claim that Sherwood doesn't have faith in his new signings when most of them would've played today were it not for injuries/fitness.

Here's something annoying.

Pantillimon wasted about 90 seconds in stoppage time. He got booked for time wasting.

He time wasted again after that and the ref indicated that he was adding everything on.

Blows for full time at 94:03

**** off

It just shows you how bad officiating is when in the "biggest" league in the world ref's continually can't manage to get added on time right. Most second halves should have around 7 minutes of added on time for all the messing that goes on.

Edited by villa89

The difference in the performance today vs a similar match last season is that we managed to create lots of chances but we wasted them. We need a striker, we knew that. We need a new centre back, we also knew that. Nothing new today.

In isolation, failing to win at home vs a team as poor as Sunderland is is very poor. But the positive news is that we are hopefully getting to more players that should help us rectify our problems a bit. Still hard to see anything else than a relegation battle for the umpteenth time even if we manage to sign Lescott and Adeybayor. They won't magically make us better.

I think the only thing Tim could've done was put Veretout on. We were creating chances but we just couldn't put them away. Putting Ayew on wasn't an option, this is a guy that failed to impress vs a Lg 2 side. 

I think it's clear that a new striker is needed desperately. Gestede was absolutely awful today, so one dimensional it's untrue. 

Good performances from Richards, Amavi, Gana, Westwood and Sinclair. 

Lots of positives in the midfield, where Sanchez looked great in the first half and let himself down in the second by merely being good. Defensively we look stronger than last season, but still not strong enough and Clarke is the weak link. I'm in two minds about the Hutton and Bacuna situation, because I think Hutton is a better defender but his crosses are pretty poor. In attack we look better with Sinclair but I don't think Gestede should be starting and I certainly don't think he should be playing the full ninety. It worries me that Sunderland didn't exactly hammer us with pressure, and yet they've scored two goals. How are things going to go against real counterattacking teams? 

Sinclair MOTM (for the 2 goals), otherwise it would have been Westwood. Didn't like Gestede up front. He wins every ball but all we did was cross to him and it didn't work. We did play well though - getting more shots and opportunities, and rarely made mistakes. The team looks to have gelled, which is good! Reckon we need a striker though. 

Edited by tomh621
  • Like 1

Choosing to look on the bright side despite dropping 2pts we shouldn't have:

Lescott will come (inshallah) and our defence will then be a very good unit. Clark had a very bad day and it cost us.

We are creating chances left and right, with Grealish and Traore back in the side that will get even better.

Once we get a striker in who knows where the net is we will score a lot of goals. We are getting a new striker.....right?

Despite his incredible miss was also impressed with Richard's commitment. He's going to be a big player for us this season.

Finally Sinclair is a really good footballer, who knew?!!

Â