Pre Match Thread

dont_do_it_doug.

To be honest with rowlett he isn't actually an unlikeable bloke shown respect to sherwood and us. Just ashame he is at a utter turd of a club

He will surely be moving onto bigger and better soon. Suprised derby didn't come in for him to be honest 

as long as he can see sense and leave Gabby on the bench you'd expect the below team, which is slightly ugly but that's the way we have to play it.

-------------------- Guzan

---- Richards - Clark - Lescott

Bacuna ------------------------------ Amavi
------------ Sanchez ---- Vertout

--------------------- Westwood

----------------------- Gil or Grealish
----------------------- Gestede -----------------

Just read that clown's article in the Mail.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-v-birmingham-city-10105176 

God I really f'kin hate that bloke. 

Comon Villa, I want Savage in tears tonight! 

Still love Dublin for the headbutt.

Not sure I've ever met a Villa fan that doesn't. "Twisted" Villa fans, lol

• Like 1

The three at the back is a hugeee gamble, but I think it could work the way our team is set up.

Completely agree with Villanous One's team apart from getting rid of Westwood and putting Gil in instead.

3 at the back, two full backs. Our midfielders can probably push up slightly more if we have a third CDEF so I don't want Westwood, who's a terrible and wasteful presser of the ball.

Sanchez slightly deeper than Veretout. Veretout hounding them. Gil and Grealish as narrow wingers/wide CAMs and Gestede or possibly Gabby up front (just cos it's Blues). I really like that.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-v-birmingham-city-10105176 

i don't - he cost us any chance of getting anything out of the game

so if you're going to do that, he should have at least landed a proper headbutt rather than dropping the world's worst headbutt on him

i don't - he cost us any chance of getting anything out of the game

so if you're going to do that, he should have at least landed a proper headbutt rather than dropping the world's worst headbutt on him

By footballer's standards it wasn't too bad. The fact Savage keeps going on about how it didn't hurt probably means it did, the pussy

• Like 1

Three at the back would be suicide, given the small amount of preparation time since the last game and the general chaos of the derby I'm sure it would end up a complete mess with players not sure who they should be tracking and which one would be allowed to wander from their position in various scenarios. If you want to go defensive just pack the midfield with as many bodies as possible.

My personal view though, don't start Grealish, have Gil and Sinclair out wide to hit them on the break and Gestede up top to get on the end of crosses/intimidate the back line. Bring Jack on later to run at them once they begin to tire.

Three at the back would be suicide, given the small amount of preparation time since the last game and the general chaos of the derby I'm sure it would end up a complete mess with players not sure who they should be tracking and which one would be allowed to wander from their position in various scenarios. If you want to go defensive just pack the midfield with as many bodies as possible.

My personal view though, don't start Grealish, have Gil and Sinclair out wide to hit them on the break and Gestede up top to get on the end of crosses/intimidate the back line. Bring Jack on later to run at them once they begin to tire.

If we play Gestede then we must just brief the boys with cross, cross, cross - otherwise he's redundant. Can't see Tim dropping Jack over Gil - but I do agree we looked too lightweight on Sat with those two as half of our midfield - as they offer zero defensively. Blue will approach us like WBA did and if they pack the midfield against Westy and Sanchez then we will be in trouble. I want a more solid midfield tonight to try and control the play and give the ball out to Grealish/Gil to make something happen. 

Edited by roonst83

I'm dreading this. Thankfully I'm out of the country too (couldn't bear the Skum if we don't get through).

Guzan (with a remote electro-shocker taped to his balls to keep him awake)

I'm warming to the "3 at the back" suggestions with lots of long balls into our box.

Bacuna & Avami pushing on but also at the ready to defend.

Sanchez & Westwood in the middle

Grealish pulling the strings from the middle

2 up top Gaby (only game he likes) & Sinclair

either Gestede or Kozak on for Gaby second half to either hopefully seal it or break the deadlock.

I'd take an ugly 1-0 now

Penalties if need be

Come on lads, show the in-breds

To be honest with rowlett he isn't actually an unlikeable bloke shown respect to sherwood and us. Just ashame he is at a utter turd of a club

He will surely be moving onto bigger and better soon. Suprised derby didn't come in for him to be honest 

next Villa manager. Lerner likes going across the divide to get a manager and I have to admit its quite remarkable the job he's done there. I know he's a pro and paid well but must be a strange feeling managing the biggest rival of the club you support

The three at the back wouldn't be suicide, it is a risk though.

We've long had a problem where our full-backs are (and should be) bombing on, but don't have enough cover in the gaps left behind them. Three at the back alleviates this and allows at least one wing-back to bomb-on, depending on which side the ball is. It allows Richards and Clark/Lescott (whoever's on the left) to come across and cover. Presumably Sanchez will act as a lynchpin also so can cover where needs be, though I'd have thought at home to Championship side with 3/5 at the back he should be ok.

It's really back to basics stuff, but it could really work. It also gives Gil/Grealish a lot more freedom, which is something both players need. Amavi having the license to bomb on could wreak havoc, and Bacuna has a good cross. Can Paul Caddis really cope with Grealish with Amavi overlapping?

Also, yes we've had little time to prepare (assuming Tim has never tried this in training before, which he most likely has), but the opposition's scouting report and perception of our weaknesses against Albion/Leicester, is completely torn up. We are thus unpredictable, which is exactly what we need to be in our current situation against our biggest rivals.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC

Small Heath to win this 2 or 3 to nil. They are in form, play as a team and will show the necessary desire and discipline to win this.

We can't score goals and can't defend. Only one winner. We couldn't even beat Notts County in 90 minutes. 

It being a derby might be a good reason for NOT playing British players.

We're the better team. If we keep calm and play to our ability we'll win. If we have players who get caught up in the occassion then the possibility is there for them to drag us down to their level.

If we were the underdog, then the british thing could be an advantage by firing our players up and getting into a passionate scrap. But as the better team, I'd be more than happy for foreigners to just play football and win.